What is the best tool in your workshop

Glyn44

Hi Andy

Yea like all,these things simple when you know how, great tip will,get som made soonest. Knew it was beer, problem is my modelling skills go downhill in proportion to beer intake, but I get past caring and just do it again in the morning!

Wooden float, Jeez how big is the stuff your sanding Bert?

Looking thru these posts I reckon Permagrit wins, razor plane second. I agree. Although I would like a pillar drill of some sort. Can't make my mind up which. The Dremel one gets poor reviews for accuracy, so would seem to defeat the object.

Posted by denis parkinson on 10/02/2015 10:43:14:

Where does everybody get their permagrit from?

I called in at my LMS yesterday, and they only had one small permagrit file (which I bought)

The guy in the shop said he had no idea if and when he was getting anymore in stock.

I wonder why model shops are a dying breed?

What's the next best tool in your workshop? The beer fridge and wine rack when things are just not going according to plan or schedule, no matter who's stupid plan or unachievable schedule I may be mindlessly working to. I blame my upbringing, might as well everyone else does, it's always the parents fault!

My best tool as such is my Great Mate stand. Use it as a bench, also assembling planes; lining up wings and stab; adjusting servos at a good height, and working on the plane It's the one thing i use in my workshop the most .But mainly that's where it stays. Don't use it as intended for a flight stand. Was great for the heli's,but a bit cumbersome for daily use at the field.

For the sake of marital harmony, my wife's "Henry" - best vacuum cleaner at the price for balsa dust, and particularly for balsa shavings. Let's face it, coming into the house leaving a trail of shavings behind you can be relied upon to produce a frosty atmosphere whatever the weather outside.

Posted by Gurth Scriven 2 on 11/02/2015 17:35:47:

For the sake of marital harmony, my wife's "Henry" - best vacuum cleaner at the price for balsa dust, and particularly for balsa shavings. Let's face it, coming into the house leaving a trail of shavings behind you can be relied upon to produce a frosty atmosphere whatever the weather outside.

My workshop opens off the lounge so I know exactly what you mean but my wife's very tolerant and just gives me the option of a cold shoulder or the vacuum cleaner. At least my option provides me with a warm centrally heated man-cave (with outside access, too). It's my 'study' as well and has a lot of books as well as my PC with a comfy chair for my power naps.

Geoff