Spring is here!!! Who has been out flying??

Thought I would pip John to the post and start the ball rolling. Spring has sprung, the warm weather is here and lambs are gadding about.

Well no, not really here in PL31, its blowing a gale and the rain is coming down. The lambs and holiday makers are all shivering under shelter.

Two new planes in St. Austell club

concours 001 (2).jpg

Edited By cymaz on 29/03/2015 10:43:37

much the same in the Midlands, strong winds and rain so I decided it was time to make up the Slec model stand I bought last month. I now have bits of MDF lying about everywhere waiting for the primer to dry ready for a coat or two of white.

I had hoped to get the engines set up in the Jabberwock and Sea Fury but that ain't happening this weekend!

Posted by leccyflyer on 29/03/2015 11:36:07:

Wish you'd started this earlier - I'd have put the pictures up of my first flying of 2015 in this thread instead.

Nice Cub - and that looks a nice sized build of old G-AAMX if I'm not mistaken?

Nearly it's G-AAVJ

Edited By cymaz on 29/03/2015 13:32:10

Posted by Percy Verance on 29/03/2015 13:24:14:

Is your stand the one that's bit like a trestle Bob? If it is they're a very worthwhile bit of kit. No more grovelling around in wet or damp grass........

I've had one for years, and it now lives in the club hut for others to use if I'm not there. It just isn't dignified to be crawling around on the floor once you reach a certain age Bob......

The best way I can describe it is a folding saw-horse with a flip-over tray and adjustable model cradle arms. Even the legs are cut from MDF and the thing is positively gulping down primer. Never mind dignity, I've got too many dodgy disks to be crawling around at ground level any morecrying

What a contrast to last weekend when I got a very pleasant couple of hours at the field with a foamy Wot4 and Hyperbipe.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 29/03/2015 14:26:24

Can't help feeling we had spring last week, have by-passed summer and gone straight into autumn this weekend with the howling winds we're experiencing. The only thing flying around here today is various bits of twigs and other assorted garden debris.

Edited By John Privett on 29/03/2015 14:32:33

At Moderator Pete B.'s suggestion I'm reposting the pictures, shot by clubmate Derek R. to this thread.

ad my first day's outdoor flying this week, which was great (if a bit cold at the end of the day). Though I've been flying regularly indoors throughout the winter, this was the first real chance to fly out of doors. Highlights of the day was getting my venerable Easy Bee back in the air after being in the workshop for repairs for ages - love this model and she's coming up to 20 years old. Got a bit overconfident in the harrier landing though and had an un-intended meeting with a new fence post. All repaired now.

The other big highlight was sharing some weak early Spring thermals with the resident Red Kite. My clubmate Derek was on hand to take some snaps and it was a grand day all round - thanks D. He always manages to capture those in-air shots with some real atmosphere, as his piccie of my PZ Spitfire shows. It was good to see the lads at the field and hoping for a really good flying season to come.

easybee1 250315.jpg

easybeedive250315.jpg

easybeebroken250315.jpg

easyglider250315.jpg

easygliderkite250315.jpg

parkzone spitfire 25 march 2015.jpg

I flew this Tutor Mk 1 last Tuesday with the assistance of the EDMAC trainer so that I can take my A-certificate which I have yet to attempt despite flying RC planes on and off since about 1963.

The Tutor has one of my Enya 45's fitted inverted up front as I gather with the Tutor you can experience fuel feed problems with an upright engine ? As the Enya is particularly noisy I have had to fit a 'just Engines' secondary exhaust which became detached for the second time last week as did the silicone tube link. However the new fixings should hold OK I hope?

The Tutor seems to be a very capable plane and I was looking forward to another flying session tomorrow but unfortunately strong winds are forecast.

p3290187.jpg

p3290188.jpg

That is interesting Cymaz, I gather the previous owner (RIP) of my Tutor had the fuel problems and got over them by inverting the engine. I just wonder with the engine the right way up whether I could fit the secondary exhaust satisfactorily? However the plane works OK now after lots of adjustment and drains the fuel tank (I have fitted three!) after nine minute flights . As far as the A-certificate is concerned it seems I just need to practice but unfortunately over the years I have developed bad habits through flying 3 channel 'Old Clangers' that need limited throttle movement and Slope Soarers that don't need any throttle movement. As for maintaining the same height that is something I need to work on and it would seem I fly planes too low and too close to the flight line.--will I ever pass?

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 29/03/2015 16:31:47:

Cracking pic of the spit - looks just like an oil painting

Seconded. What a fantastic photo thumbs up

I had last week off and flew Mon, Tue and Wed. This DB Scout got several airings as did my long suffering Hoehnia **LINK** which was at one point destined for the skip as apparently fuel soaked beyond repair but now has a new lease of life with a new (electrified) front end

scout 1.jpg

Hardly any wind last Friday (2days ago if you are watching this on Dave) and with the field to myself I had chance to work through a number of models.

Remember the old GWS Tiger Moth? Well my daughter turned up with one for my birthday last year. It had the indoor power unit which I've used but indoor flying to me is like open air squash. So it's calm days outside for me, it's a nice quiet fly around thing that you can relax to at the end of a session.

I'm making progress with the Mini Pred helicopter at long last. Bought in 2006, bent it for a few months in 2007 then put it on a shelf until a month ago. In the mean time I've sometimes flown helis on the sim and now I'm surprised to find that my reactions when it gets out of shape are quite reasonable, can't be long off now but I've had about two dozen flights and not bent it yet.

Then there's the Harmon Rocket and a rocket it is by nature too with an ASP80 4S hidden under the cowl. Flys really well with a good bit of grunt when it's wanted. I haven't flown it since last October and it was like meeting an old friend, great. Landing in the calm needed a little bit of variation on approach, getting down good and low long before reaching the strip to avoid arriving at an uncomfortabley fast speed. When I have flown it some more I'll probably side slip it in these conditions. If there's some headwind there's no need for such tactics.

GWS Tiger Moth, Seagull Harmon Rocket III and Century/Art-Tech Mini Pred V2 - Oh and me!

Went to the Great Orme yesterday, a few dog walkers and nobody flying. Just because the wind could almost blow me over, huh. I left it an hour or so and tried again with the wind actually howling around my SAS Fusion I launched it out but it very quickly came back in again.smile o Made a few more tries, I like to think that I could have got it out into the smooth lift but even with more ballast and someone with a strong launching I suspect that really it was a rare occasion when it was actually too windy. Hah, who cares, 'cos I did get to visit my pal Tim Mackey and take ownership of a Mark Kettle Vulcan kit. Clear the bench in hangar X, here I come!

Ian

Edited By Ian Jones on 30/03/2015 23:43:32

Edited By Ian Jones on 30/03/2015 23:44:15

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 30/03/2015 22:36:41:

If this is going to be a protracted exchange, gents, it's a bit off-topic for here, so please feel free to start a thread in the IC section.....

I thank you.....smile

Pete

Sorry ..my mistake blush