Spring is here!!! Who has been out flying??

First after work evening flying of the year! Took my coachman for a tumble flick spinathon- engine was being a bit peaky not sure if that was the fuel or the atmospherics or what. Also took out my Kestrel fuselage to see if the OS40FS would run. Seemed OK but wouldn't idle very well. Turns out the previous owner had an A3 plug in it and since I have it inverted etc I'll swap that out for an F. Hopefully that'll improve things and then I can try this gyroplane malarkeysmiley. THe good news was that when the motor was running at full chat it was pulling very well, so I think it'll have plenty of oomph.

Edited By will -0 on 11/04/2015 12:01:01

Advert

Today in 0900 to airfield Piket -Croatia, nobody anywhere, perfect weather, just to get a little back into shape after the ''long Winter '' .... but then Murphy decided to show teeth.... .On 50 meters high, and after 15 minutes of flight, loop , backstroke-flying, leaf .... and then, my Easy Glider went spinning sharply to the ground out of control. I was able to somewhat manage and landed a little rougher, but without significant damage.

At first I thought I was getting old and I do not know to fly no longer...sad...but here is culprit : compound rudder and plastic nose....fatigue plastic...thumbs down

Easy Glider rudder inoperative.JPG

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 14/04/2015 11:57:38

Had a very Aviation oriented day yesterday . Early morning calm conditions made the stick-time on the Acro-Wot more fruitful.

Then a trip up to IWM Duxford where we were treated to an Apache doing circuits and touch-and-go's for quite some time . Not sure what it was doing , but it was nice seeing something in the air to complement the static displays.

First time out this year, (to day), and two great flights with my Sunderland, (off grass).

I had been seriously thinking of selling up this year, but a couple of really good flights, gets that 'itch' going again. for a while at least.

Ray

Edited By eflightray neath on 14/04/2015 19:41:28

Calm weather yesterday morning, early, but by the time I got to the field it was about 10mph, gusting >15mph at least. Only six arrived for the regular Tuesday morning pensioners' fly in, too windy for comfort except for 2 Bogeys, a Radjet and surprisingly, an Addiction which managed quite well in the wind and associated turbulence. Still, great company, not much flying - only the Bogeys were really comfortable to fly in the conditions - but the craic was so good ( as usual ) that everybody stayed until lunchtime anyway.

Another evening flying session, but noone else there!

Still, got some flying in with the Coachman which has a sick engine, it seems. I'll have to have that out as it's leaking on the backplate etc etc.

Also flew the Poppet bipe, which has just had an engine transplant. The plan said a 25-32 two stroke so I put a plain bearing 40 LA in thinking that'd do. It was somewhat lacklustre, but the new 46LA (which conveniently fits without adjusting the engine bearers) seems to have done the trick. It's still a draggy bipe and you have to consider energy management through the aeros rather than simply relying on grunt, but it does at least perform!

I'm breaking records, I've managed to fly again this afternoon, making three times in two weeks! Last year it was three times in three months. I concentrated on the Edge again because it is stretching by my standards and I have to improve. It was chilly and windy, only three mates were there when I arrived. I took this picture after they had all gone, after which I had one more flight,on my own. Off to Spain on Monday, when we get back in early May I will be looking to maiden the Seafang.image.jpg

Thank you Josip. It is the dispersal part of the old RAF Lichfield, which in WW2 was the home for an Operational Training unit, flying Wellingtons and a Maintenance Unit which handled a lot of planes of all types. In the 50s Vickers Varsitys were flown there, as part of the navigator training programme for the V-Bomber force. Flying ended in 1958, although the RAF didn't completely leave it until a few years later. The airfield remained intact, including the runways, until the early 90s, although sadly it is gradually disappearing now under an industrial estate and housing. However, the hangars are still there and a lot of the original buildings. It's still a great place to fly.

John, one of the club fields I fly at has just installed 8 nice new starting tables. I used them once and then went back to been on the ground as it just didn't feel right with my starting procedure especially as been flying 19 years and never used one before laugh

On another note I've been to an indoor meeting tonight 6 - 9.45pm. 3 different slots 20 mins each for different disciplines so flew my big crack yak 5 batteries and mini crack yak 6 batteries smiley as usual a few little repairs to do due to the inevitable mid airs (It's surprising how well the big yak flys with only one working aileron and also how well the mini yak flys with one side of its tail plane completely ripped off) laugh

baz

Edited By brfc7 on 18/04/2015 22:45:42

Edited By brfc7 on 18/04/2015 22:47:49

Had a curate's egg of a day yesterday - a good turnout and lots of interesting models being flown, including a couple of very nice WW1 scouts - an SE5a and Puppeteer, that I hadn;t seen flying before. I'm particularly impressed by the novel solution to battery access that Derek has for his Puppeteer, which consists of a hinged motor mounting plate and cowl that folds forward to get the battery in and out. The model flies beautifully too. Jim J's SE5a is a Peter Rake design and looks brilliant both on the ground and in the air.

Jim Js SE5a

Dereks Flair Puppeteer

Derek and Puppeteer flypastSE5a takes to the airDs PuppeteerI enjoyed my flights gliding with the buzzards and beating up the field with my Parkzone Spitfire and PT-19. However the day was marred somewhat by the heavy crash that my new PZ Mosquito suffered just after take off on her maiden flight. Everything was going perfectly, the model tracked beautifully straight and began a gentle take-off, but on climbing out, rolled violently right and hit the ground hard, causeing substantial ddamage to fuselage, wing, nacelle, nose with lots of crushed and broken foam. I'm sure that she'll glue back together but it's dissapointing and I still don;t know what caused it.

Broken Mossie after maidenParkzone Mosquito pre-maiden

I went out today to a new field for our club. Partly to provide feed back on where to go beyond the information i have Emailed to the members. I found that the field is much larger than the largest field we have previously used. The field is being used for growing winter feed and is covered i a mixture of grass and small flowers.Although i do have a concern with respect a cottage about 1/4 of mile away. Later today I will send out some information and remind members to keep away from it.

As for flying I took my Delta, which I really enjoyed flying with some verve given the lack of constraints, beyond the ground.

Then it was the turn of my 30 years old Sagitta, which flew a treat, comparable to a Radion that was also present. Which did make me smile, that flying as well as a mass market foamie, was seen as an achievement. I did have confidence in the model to fly it about a mile out, up wind, as i was in good air. The distance and height did raise comment from the other two modellers present. This did make me think how times change, when before electric gliders, it was not uncommon to fly gliders so far out, as long as up wind, judging distance and height against air condition. I made 18 minutes, knowing i had an electric motor to get me back, as long as my eye sight was up to the job.

Getting home was an issue as the Manchester Marathon caused chaos on the roads i needed to use. Living about 100 yards of 17 mile point, it did frustrate me, though i could drive in theory straight home, the reality was a large number of cars circulating in the area designated residents only with no through. But that is life and the least of my current woes.