Spring is here!!! Who has been out flying??

After being laid up for a week with a chest infection I finally got down the field with the Sea Fury and Mustfire - pity the SF failed the noise test at 84dBa! The Saito 125 refused to go on the starter but went second flick - go figure!

I'll have to swap my standard fit for 1.20 15*8 for a 16*8 and see how it goes next time out.

The Mustfire's Evo 10 petrol motor fired straight up and ran as smooth as a very smooth thing, it just gets better the more running it gets.

I was absolutely done in afterwards but it was glorious to get out of the house againface 1

img_20150407_150902075[1].jpg

ps - I KNOW 'NAVY' should be to the rearface 5

Posted by Erfolg on 06/04/2015 20:28:13:

Although one of my favourite memories will be standing in the kitchen or lounge at Culloden, looking out across at the Black Isle, in the evening or night.

Getting a little off-topic, but my view of the Black Isle was always from the other side. Family summer holidays were always taken in Invergordon where my father originated. For somewhere that far north the (summer) weather always seemed to be a lot better than it might have been.

Back on-topic... We seemed to have the 'least-good' of the long-weekend weather down here in Surrey. At least Monday was reasonably warm with a touch of blue sky now and then. Much warmer today of course now everyone is back at work!

Out of 4 days I managed to fly on 3, so not too bad - but could have been so much better if the decent weather had arrived a week earlier. We had a strongish crosswind yesterday so my hastily-repaired Pushycat was pressed back into service.

Looking at the forecast tomorrow should be a cracker for flying. Just charged up my trusty Escapade MX and PK Spitfire ( now she has retracts, no more belly landings) and will hopefully have success with my take off dolly for my recently completed Cambrian ME 109 fun fighter.

Was hoping to fly my new LX models F4F Wildcat with swooshy retracts and folding wings, but I now remember why I don't like electrics, and a new motor and ESC is on order due to intermittent problems.

Posted by extra slim on 07/04/2015 11:07:40:

Nice day up north on Sunday, flew my big old daft Jamara Turbo porter with DLE 30cc, great STOL fun had!.. Plus gave the Howard Metcalfe Crossfire a thrashing, 4s....quickish!, not ballistic....until one of the aeronaut props decided to fracture, yes fracture, not come away from the yolk, but fracture across the angle...first time used aeronaut so will be going back to graupner...still good fun.

crossfire.jpg

Nice, I'd be interested to know what you've got inside. Any more pictures ? I've got an old one still in the box.

Hi Trebor, it's a cracking model, no vices, smooth and quick. I've fitted mine with an eflite power 25 1000kv (older type), bit of a squeeze mount wise but in ok. 60A ESC, flat rhino 2350 4s packs. Hitec 65mg servos all round, digis on ail, but just cos I had um. yesWing had a carbon rod through it as additional "mid spar"...I recommend you build it, you won't be disappointed. I put the rudder on mine and it is nice and flicky wink 2. Oh and aeronaut/graupner 11x6 folder, pulls about 48A. 

Edited By extra slim on 07/04/2015 23:05:14

First flying session of 2015 for me since the Winter layoff began in October! All electric with several flights on my Hyperion Helios and some great fun with the little Hobby King Vampire EDF - which for me represents the greatest fun to £s ratio of any model I've owned.

Nice day today, but with slight breeze at 90 degrees to the strip. Only had the small car today, so just the PK spitfire on its new retracts and my maiden of the Cambrian ME109. Retracts on spit just cause it to nose over when trying to take off, so back to hand launch, but at least can land on the wheels.

Funfighter, a different issue. My home made take off dolly had a mind of it own, so ended up chancing it with a hand launch, of course it went off no probs and fast! Sadly my 4 oz tank seems to not last that long, I wonder if other funfighter flyers have used a bigger tank and amended the fuselage formers accordingly?

Been flying AGAIN today laughthumbs upparty . That's Saturday, Monday, Wednesday!

Only three of us flew and only 6 in total at the field. Mind you it was 12/15 mph and a 45 degree cross wind. Only Wot 4's flew. Still a good day was had by all. Sunny but windy.

Test flew someone else's ARTF WOT 4 yesterday. I compared it with my own kit-built model. It wasn't an exact comparison as my model is the Mark 3 with the tapered wing and the AETF has the parallel chord wing. Furthermore, mine is fitted with a Thunder Tiger 54 FS while the ARTF had a Thunder Tiger GP 42.

My initial impression was that the ARTF was a bit easier to fly.

wot 4s (2).jpg

wot 4s.jpg

I have not flown much at all this year. I think this is my worst start to a year for a long time. It always seems to be nice when I am working or have family commitments and horrible on my free days! suspect someone up there does not like me.lol

Still I have some holiday booked soon so fingers crossed.