Spring is here!!! Who has been out flying??

Sorry no pics and in a different league to the above, but I had a fantastic day flying today with 2 Radians, both myself and my 8 year old son. My repaired DX6 works perfectly, so very happy. Got some great updraughts, carrying my plane up really high at times unpowered, I was really surprised. I know a lot of people find these planes boring, too easy and slow, but I think they are great and can be both a lot of fun and relaxing and easy to fly for novices like me. Field grass damp though which was the only pain...

Edited By Simon Hall 2 on 05/04/2015 18:06:55

It's been great over here from Thursday through to today apart from high winds on Friday. Today was beautiful with clear blue skies, a very light breeze and around 20 *C.

I've flown my Acromaster, Arcus, Fournier, Calmato and Solius. Today I maidened a VQ models Spacewalker I bought for 70 euros. Lovely flying model although I still need to iron out a few issues re motor/prop/lipo combination.

Spring is in the air.

I finally managed to get up to Fradley and fly for the first time this year. I didn't do very well last year, taking on too many diverse projects and not getting enough flying time in, so that I got worse. Yesterday I got in a number of good steady flights and could feel my accuracy improving, with no duff landings! This is my Top Gun Edge 540 with OS91FX. It is several years old and then at first I wasn't pleased with it. The dural undercarriage seemed to be made of cheese and after I replaced it with a glass fibre unit, it ripped off the first time I dumped it in the long grass. Not the usual case of poor gluing and the plywood plate coming out, but very poor wood so that the bolts simply pulled straight through it. However I persevered with it, sorting out the undercarriage mounting and eventually making up a replacement with strong wire, faired with balsa to look the part. It is a brilliant flyer and the 91FX, although 10 years old, remains a fantastic, powerful and flexible, good natured engine. It pulls the plane vertical if you want it to, or poodles it around beautifully at 1/3 throttle, using very little fuel and giving long engine runs. No handling vices, a proper pussy cat.

image.jpg

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 05/04/2015 22:41:09

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 05/04/2015 23:02:21

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 05/04/2015 23:04:59

I managed to get out today too , what a great afternoon out

My son did not want to go out , he rather play on his computer .

So i took his trainer out for a good thrashing after fixing the engine problems it will stay airborne for half an hour .

pauls.jpg

Then i flew my SaS power Thing which has a OS .25 fsr in it , and goes like stink .

I then flew my Sipa 200 .

sipa s-200 n917wj.jpg

Which was flying a lot slower than normal , a few circuits followed by loops and rolls later i noticed blue smoke coming out the back .

Hmmm now that looks more jet like , Ho hang on thats not supposed to happen i shut the motor down and started the glide in .

Ok still got control thats good , on final touch down i fluffed it sad. .

The rudders have come off , no big deal i can soon glue them back on that is why i fitted them on the outside of the booms .

But on inspection found that the motor had thrown a magnet jamming the motor up solid .

So i will have to perform open heart surgery to replace the motor .

But all in all had a good day out .

Stevesmiley

Well that was a good day. Not many of us at St. Austell.....about 6/7frown

The wind was right down the strip, about 12mph. Lovely sunny day

Hanriot.......the other needs no introduction, does it?

bank holiday monday 001.jpg

Richard's Hanriot

bank holiday monday 002.jpg

Hazel Sigs' Cub....and she is in the cockpit

bank holiday monday 003.jpg

bank holiday monday 004.jpg

Poor Richard, out on his own

bank holiday monday 006.jpg

Posted by Erfolg on 05/04/2015 21:11:34:

Oh, my God, Leccyflyer, surely that cannot be the Scotland where my daughter lived for so long. That being Inverness, Aberdeen and Edinburgh?

Where the winters were hard and in summer the penguins migrated north, to Scotland?angel 2

Warmest place in the country yesterday(Aboyne 20.7 degrees), and again today (19 degrees).

Leccyflyer

I have vivid memories of a beach at Nairn and another just north of Aberdeen and my granddaughter begging to go back home, as it was so cold. Although one of my favourite memories will be standing in the kitchen or lounge at Culloden, looking out across at the Black Isle, in the evening or night. I guess there is a blue moon at present though. Also I am just kidding, Scotland is a great place, although it does seem to be colder than the South of France.

I must dash now, my eggs have just about fried on the patio, down here in England.angel 2

Nice day up north on Sunday, flew my big old daft Jamara Turbo porter with DLE 30cc, great STOL fun had!.. Plus gave the Howard Metcalfe Crossfire a thrashing, 4s....quickish!, not ballistic....until one of the aeronaut props decided to fracture, yes fracture, not come away from the yolk, but fracture across the angle...first time used aeronaut so will be going back to graupner...still good fun.

crossfire.jpg

Lovely day in Yorkshire yesterday....

Maidened the FMS Explorer; got a few flights oin the Durafly Spit; few more on the Mini UltraStik; handful on the Spirit; handful on the UMX Yak 54. Nice to fly spomething with wiogs and not tiny rotors !

Got red arms and a red V on my chest/neck from the Sun.....

GG