Spring is here!!! Who has been out flying??

Posted by Colin Carpenter on 27/04/2015 15:29:18:

2015-04-07 09.12.47.jpgHi all. Out at 9 am with my Sebart Angel for a couple of flights. The forecast winds for later have not arrived. With the recommended Hacker motor and a 14/8 prop I can only get just over 4 mins of aeros, no 3D. This is with a 3S 2600. A 13/6 makes very little difference. Surgery needed for a 4S battery. Any ideas chaps ? Ta Colin

Edited By Colin Carpenter on 27/04/2015 15:30:09

Why the surgery needed for 4S Colin?

I fly my Angel S30 using a 4S 2700mah and it fits without any problem.

Advert

HI Steve. The Angel is pre owned and I am very happy with it. The previous owner has raised the battery plate area with ply/balsa and I cant get a 4s in without trying to remove it. What prop do you use on yours please ? And how long a run do you get ? Ta Colin

Edited By Colin Carpenter on 28/04/2015 08:07:30

Posted by Colin Carpenter on 28/04/2015 08:06:53:

HI Steve. The Angel is pre owned and I am very happy with it. The previous owner has raised the battery plate area with ply/balsa and I cant get a 4s in without trying to remove it. What prop do you use on yours please ? And how long a run do you get ? Ta Colin

Edited By Colin Carpenter on 28/04/2015 08:07:30

Hi Colin,

I'm running a 11x5.5 APC prop but note that the model has an Emax GT2820/7 motor installed. The combo produces sufficient power for my style of flying without being over the top. I could prop up to 12x6 and remain within limits and I may give this a try soon.

However, on the present set-up I easily get 8 minutes of mixed flying with a little in reserve.

Decided to brave the wind this morning ( 16mph forecast ) as I missed the chance to fly in yesterday's calmer conditions. Whatever the weather I always take my Black Bogie - it flew brilliantly in the breeze cutting through the turbulence at low levels and flying big aileron/elevator aeros. Only one other soul turned up but he decided not to risk his trainer.

The Black Bogie is theoretically a combat plane, constructed of folded Correx, so ugly only it's mother ( & me ! ) could love it - but with an Emax 2820/07 (taking oomph from a 4S 2200) on the front turning a 12x8 CAM folder it flies huge loops, does about 5 rolls in 2 seconds, yet it can stooge around like a lightly loaded trainer and then be floated in to land at near walking pace. Needless to say, I had a ball.

I was Billy no mates yesterday. Arrived at the field no one to be seen.

I had taken my Delta and my Firenza.

On the field it was blowing a Hooley, as we up here in the Northern Power House. the land of Super Heroes.

I tentatively flew the Delta, which confirmed my impression. The model bouncing all over the sky. Quickly landed after some 2 minutes, just enough time to launch, get into a circuit and then think, this is not good, then complete the circuit back to a landing, somewhere on the field, thankfully still in one piece. It was now I discovered some one has had a large fire at the end of our field

As for the Firenza, it di not leave the ground, as just getting it to the pits was a struggle against the wind. I did however take the opportunity to check the motor out, as the model had not flown for some 12 months, the duration being limited for its intended purpose. I noted the timer was now set at 6 minutes. I had made up a new harness for the new Lipos. I had undertaken some repirs earlier in the week, whilst checking out for re use. I found what I thought was a knackered motor, or it was not fastened properly to the mounting plate. It was in fact a cracked plywood former on the mounting box. On running up the motor, I found excessive vibration, which I put down to either a out of balance prop or that the spun aluminium was visibly running out.

After some 30 minutes i fought my way back to the car, went home, where SWMBO said, I thought you had gone flying?

I checked out the prop and found it was perfectly balanced. I swapped the spun spinner for a simple collet type. Took the model outside, onto the patio. Ran the motor up, and I am now quite satisfied that the assembly is turbine smooth. The spinner being the bad boy.

Now waiting for Saturday, as Friday i am busy. I will need to take note that 6 minutes is not to long to ruin this set of Lipos. Real time battery information is what I need, just as Tarnis fliers can have available at low cost.

Tale of two halves this morning.

Was at field 11-1 all alone as it was way too windy for the fair weather guys.

Had 3 great 10 minute flights with my recent ebay purchase. A panther funfly including 5 x hitec servos and os40 max. No idea how it would run. Pleased to say the engine runs like a dream and the model itself flys very nice. I can't complain at all for the price I stole it for £22.01 smiley Would fly backwards lovely in the 18+mph wind, Can't wait to get it out again on a calm day hopefully.

panther 2

Next I flew my trusty pushycat thats nearly a year old. I was using a friends Futaba 7c that I have just converted to frsky 2.4 using a diy module soldered internally. This been the third Tx I've done. Well today it didn't work for some reason on a pass at 10 feet above the ground and about 50 metres away it lost all signal and went in sad strange considering I'd been flying over 5 minutes and at times 100+ meters away fine. I've no idea why this has happened. Back at home doing range tests with all 3 Tx's I've done 2 are fine but this newest one sometimes loses signal within a few meters????????????

pc death.jpg

Will defo be building a new one asap as it lived in the boot of the car for all the spur of the moment trips to the field.

Baz

Re above loss of signal with frsky diy module. Think I've cracked why it happened. I've put the aerial in a different place to my own as this Tx is only 2.4 now so aerial comes out the top where the original aerial did and I've realised the plastic it comes through is thicker so the actual aerial didn't screw in to its housing far enough. A quick range test before and after changing changing it looks to confirm this.

Baz

Ouch... Shame about the pushycat Baz. I was flying mine this afternoon. It has ended up like yours on a couple of occasions, but has always been rebuilt - though on one of those occasions with very little of the previous model making it into the "rebuilt" version!

Flying conditions were far from ideal today in north-east Surrey. Cool but with a brisk, blustery wind that made it feel much colder than it actually was. A few of us flew from around 3pm but admitted defeat by 5:30 and headed home to thaw out.

The only bits of airframe that are salvageable and will be used in my Mk2 are the battery access canopy and nose cone. All the electronics are fine so will only cost me £15 max for wood to get another one done. Will finish off the repairs to my candoo first as only need to glue in foreplane servos.

baz

Colin & Baz - my original pushycat (bought s/hand from a clubmate) suffered a mid-air collision on its 10th flight. The canopy was one of only three pieces that were incorporated into the rebuild. The others were the handle/skid (under the wing) and the motor mounting former. The other model involved only lost its rudder!

Not sure about spring still being here. We had an excellent turnout for the club's Breakfast Fly-in yesterday, but after a glorious dawn, by the time that the flying had started it had got very cold and windy - directly across the strip. Managed a few flights though, and it was good craich over breakfast and at the field. Roll on the warmer weather though - couldn't feel my fingers after one flight, even though I was wearing neoprene anglers gloves.

I managed to get my Firenza in the air today.

together.jpg

It does not look a pretty now, the indifferent transfers peeling.

I potentially had a lucky escape today, as part of the preparation at the field I decided to check the CG for the last time. OMG, oh, dear o dear, changing from a spun spinner to a simple collet had moved the CG right back. I adjusted for this by moving one of the Lipos right towards the front.

Anyway, being Billy no mates, I felt at ease as I opened the throttle, the model raced across the field, leapt into the air and headed for heaven. I banged in a load of down trim, the model now dived, i banged in a little up trim, and breathed. I slowed the model to half throttle, the tail now was dragged around, like a Lurcher, the model was now most woolly. I opened the tap to about 90%, did a few rolls, a few loops, 3/4 loops and rolling out, pitch up to 45 degrees, roll inverted, then pull through to level flight (what ever these are called). Then the timer sounded. I brought the model into a circuit, partially closed the throttle, now the model was not at all responsive, so opened up a bit, brought it in, the wings were rocking. The model seemed to fall out of the sky at about 300 mm above the ground, the UC legs spreading momentary like a puppy slipping on a polished floor, then scrambling to its feet, as it stood there. It just remained to taxi back to the pits. Job done.

A quick check with the battery checker indicated just less than 50% for 6 minutes.

Now some others had arrived, and flew without a hitch. The models flown were a HK Phazor and a NH Cando, I then flew my Delta, I made my apologies and went home.

Such a nice day and not many at the field.

So it made a very good impression of raining hard and blowing at 18mph+ all morning, until 15:00 when I said sod it and went down the pub to meet me mates. Now at 15:50 it has stopped blowing and bright sunshine. I am convinced this is some sort of plot against me flying. Conspiracy theory's abound here. First day I have had off for 27 days. Just makes me go hmmmm!

Well today (Monday, so technically now yesterday!) had the best conditions of the bank holiday weekend - and probably the best turnout we've had so far this year. Initially fairly bright, though becoming duller and cooler as the afternoon progressed. On the other hand the moderate cross-strip breeze turned to blow striaght down the strip and lessened later in the afternoon. Only problem then was that the rain arrived. I guess you can't have a bank holiday without rain!

Sunday was a windy day, so a couple of hours were spent flying my Slipstream off the local slope.

Had a good start yesterday morning with a moderate breeze straight down the strip but by 1 pm it was up to about 15 mph & gusting and it hand swung straight across.

I maidened a newly acquired Hangar 9 Toledo special bought complete from a localish bring & buy. It's in near new condition and is fitted with a Thunder Tiger 54 fs also new. The engine was way out of tune when I first ran it up in the garden but taking it back to basics she's running like a little sewing machine now and provides ample power for the retro low winger. Really enjoyed it and it will be great for lazy tired days.image.jpg

As the wind got up a switch to the trusty Acro Wot gave a few more flights but the weather deteriorated rapidly.