Does foam float your boat?

Advert

Having been a so-called traditional modeller since '69 I quite like the variation that foam models offer and particularly like learning new techniques associated with constructing/repairing the different types of foam. Also, in some cases, Foamy ARTFs offer a huge time saving in construction (and value for money) with some of the more complex models.

Take the FMS 1400mm P-51 Mustang V9 series as an example; How long (and how much) would it take (and cost) to make that particular model in wood, complete with flaps, retracts (inc. tail wheel) and door sequencing, nav lights, sliding canopy etc? The purists may scoff that it's made of foam and is electric powered, but when it's actually in the air and flown in a realistic manner, I defy anyone to tell it apart from a trad built version. I'm not knocking built up models (God knows I've built dozens over the years), but foam does offer a relatively cheap and quick way into the air with the time and money saved put to other uses.

I've got a coupe of the multiplex foam models and find them good for a fun chuck around. They do suffer hanger rash easily , but a dab of hot glue can often sort out a bad arrival.

I'm not a fan of a foam training plane tho, I find them to twitchy in all but the lightest of winds.

I enjoyed Trebor's Fun Cub, hope he lets me fly it again soon

Edited By Justin K. on 20/06/2015 17:53:41

I like both balsa, and foam, (mainly Depron). I scratch build a lot, and Depron is so much cheaper than balsa, though I still use some balsa where needed.

I'm sure there are plenty of modelers, who dislike this or that, generally things they probably haven't tried properly.

Whatever the model is made from or powered by shouldn't really matter, likewise whether it is built, assembled, or comes out of the box ready to fly. It's all a personal choice.

Some people disagree with ARF, (Almost Ready to Fly), type models, yet most of the large IMAC competition models are ARFs. Many of the lareger 1/4 and 1/3 scale models are ARF, scale turbine models are ARF.

What about the glass fuselage and sheeted foam core wing models, are they also disliked by the balsa only fliers ?

Personally I don't care what people fly, I worry more about how they fly.

There's a place for all different materials. I do like a nice balsa, built up model, with a painted finish, but am quite content with an ARTF with a film covering or a foamy, if it fits the job.

The poll prompted me to do a quick survey of the fleet (including the flyable models, models in preparation and repair and the kit mountain) and that returned

65% Balsa 17% Foam 9% Depron and 9% Composite (mixed construction)

Posted by Ernie on 20/06/2015 15:40:04:

Now that I think about it, the blue stuff can easily be formed to say a glider pod. Covered in glass and acrylic, and then the foam melted out. But as for the wee toy things again YUK

ernie

'Wee toy things' ?, but even some of those are in balsa.

I build using Depron foam now, and electric power -

72" span Spitfire (TN's plan, and half the weight)

67" span Douglas Dauntless, scratch built

90" span Sunderland, scratch built

98" span Lancaster, scratch built

59.5" A-10 Thunderbolt, scratch built

64" span Mig 1.44, scratch built.

Not all foam model are molded ARF/RTF, and 'wee toys'.

Just as not all balsa models are slab sides boxes that weigh and fly like brick out-house wink

This poll was my suggestion, so blame me!

I think foam is ok for the fast fun flyers like the Funjets and dog fighters. I used to enjoy the Joysway Dragonfly but recently they just don't give me the flying pleasure of something a bit more solid with some real presence.

It's just a personal view but when my one foam aircraft is written off I doubt that it will be replaced by another.

But each to their own.

David FFF (Foam Free Flyer)

Edited By David Pearce 4 on 20/06/2015 18:56:56