Does foam float your boat?

Posted by eflightray neath on 20/06/2015 19:05:16:

David FFF, try building sometime instead of buying wink , you might enjoy it.

(I'm making assumptions, perhaps like you are about foam ?)

I was just interested in what the general feeling was about the different materials, no assumptions were intended.

There's an electrified Magnatilla on my building board, although I admit I build slowly! wink

Advert

Hello Miss Beth ,first of all nice to see you here, I think you must be related to the my favorite British modeler's expert and dear friend....Mr David Ashby....of course. smile d.
Now on the subject: Today, when I'm relatively mastered cutting, bonding,coloring foam ,I can not imagine anything without it .Thanks also to Mr.David Pearce 4
, for interesting poll. thumbs up

Cheers

Jo

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 20/06/2015 19:22:39

Either but tending towards foam. Reasons - there are some excellent foam models around now such as the Mustang mentioned above. I'm into gliders nowadays and my Radian is a great performer and I have a foam slope soarer which has survived arrivals which would reduce a balsa model to match wood. I also covet a Multiplex Heron to fly as a slope glider. However it's nice to see the sun shining through a built up film covered wing as the model soars high in a sunny sky.

I think we need to differentiate between the foam ARTF style kits and some of the scale masterpieces constructed from Depron

I agree the surface finish of many ARTF Foam Planes leave a lot to be desired but before you catagorise everything as a "Foam Toy" I suggest you remind yourself of these build logs:

**LINK**

**LINK**

But of course if you prefer to whittle a log down and stick a couple of planks on it thats perfectly fine too wink

Posted by David Burrows on 20/06/2015 19:20:57:
I use foam for some building applications but I'm not keen on the appearance of a foam model
I have owned one in the past but found it not to be my type of model

Foam models can always be glassed, filled, primed and then painted, just like a balsa model, so there's no need to put up with the poor surface finish found on some EPO type foams.

Maybe you chose the wrong type of model. wink

I have recently bought a Wot4 to practice on, 'cause I keep damaging my own built planes (I'm still learning). I've got to admit, I'm not a fan of foam, but I do see their merits. However, these planes are not perfect. My Wot4 was horribly out of trim, making it practically unflyable; a problem I've not had with my home built models (which require trim, but at least are flyable). I tore the U/C from my Wot4 on only its second landing - hard, but not that hard. This seems to be a weak point of the Wot4 and quite disappointing. My own planes take hard landings in their stride, but on the few occasions when the U/C really takes a beating, the saddle clamps simply break; unlike the Wot4, where the U/C takes a chunk of fuselage with it! 😕

I much prefer balsa models, built from plans or kits. Flying is fun (no matter what the plane is made of or who built it), but to me, the hobby is aero modelling and that means building your own plane. If we are to keep this hobby alive and keep our model shops thriving, we need to get building! 😊

I agree with Dave re Depron/foam, eflightray has demonstrated the wonderfull models that he has built from Depron. Perhaps you could put a few pictures up Ray. Some people would be amazed at what can be achieved. Cheers

Edited By fly boy3 on 20/06/2015 22:01:09

I've filled in the questionnaire. It's a bit of a "black and white"question though. Foam has opened up new possibilities and there are a lot of people now able to fly decent scale models at a low cost because of them and we all enjoy seeing those in the air, I think. The big thing for me though is the new opportunities available from the range of foam types available. Also it is possible that using foam and wood together in a composite structure can potentially be superior to either an all wood or all foam airframe. It is generally easy to use and some projects can be built more quickly. Definitely a good thing, particularly with the advances in electric power.

I think wooden planes can be modified nicely. With foam you're stuck with an electric motor and the finish just doesn't look quite right. I do have a foamy, but hardly use it now. Another I had just got too floppy after a few years and got weaker the more crash repairs I did.

Some of the foam 'scale' models are fantastic and perform so much better than a conventionally built alternative. My Hobbyking Vampire is a wonderful little model and could never be reproduced in wood (including retracts) and have anywhere near the same performance and lovely handling qualities. The FMS warbirds are also brilliant as well.

For what I call a serious model, it's got to be wood/composite/veneered foam etc IMHO, as the foamies tend to suffer easily from hanger rash and can look a bit tired after a season or two - no prob, just buy another!

Not only that, Earnie, but some people must have large disposable incomes, if this is how they think! I've recently bought a Wot4 (reluctantly) to learn with. I consider over £100 a lot for a piece of mass produced foam, but at my present stage I guess it's cheaper than breaking my own built models. The first day I flew it I was most disappointed to find it virtually unflyable until our club instructor trimmed it for me and the U/C tore out on only its second landing.

My own models, although still needing trimming, were at least flyable from the start. In addition, it was only necessary to replace the saddle clamps if my landings were less than perfect; whereas on the Wot4 it takes a chunk of the fuselage when the U/C gets thumped. Sure, once trimmed they're great to fly, but they are also horrible to look at. I don't get that sense of pride I have with my own models. And, as a beginner I find them very difficult in gusty conditions. I lost all control of my Wot4 last week in 15 knot winds (forecast said 9 knots) and nearly lost the model completely.

Posted by Ernie on 22/06/2015 13:30:21:

Oh how very sad. Break it,throw it away, buy another. No need to work out how to fix things, no need to spend some time fettling the damage. Just throw more pounds at the problem, and it will go away. Oh how very sad

ernie

Oh dear how very sad, I'll bet a youngster turning up at your club with an foam trainer is made to feel really welcome

Colin, we have quite a few new members that have gone down the foamy trainer route ie either the Wot 4 or the Riot (a couple of exceptions that have bought the Thunder Tiger/Irvine tutor ARTF ). In the case of the Wot 4 (earlier version as I am led to believe that the new one has a better U/C fitting) I can sympathise . Most if the members who have bought them and subsequently ripped off the U/C on a heavy landing have subsequently fitted dowels and attach the U/C via rubber bands. Its not a perfect solution but it seems to work pretty well.

In response to the poll, I have a love/hate relationship with foam models . I have an old fashioned dislike for them and yet I love my old Parkzone Habu and ME109 . I love building with wood and I guess at some stage I may consider making the leap to using foam in my builds (some fantastic ones on some of the threads here)