top sport models of all time

Phil 9

Advert

On the basis that the title asks for the top sport model of all time then I am thinking back to what has probably be sold in greatest numbers and what seems to have been popular in my own clubs this undoubtedly means the top 3 would be;

1. Wot 4

2. Gangster 63

3. Acrowot

In fairness a few close runners probably for number 3 but the other two are streets ahead, neither of which I have ever owned. Have to agree with BC on the Kyosho Spit 90, but alas not a contender in real terms I feel. One that has not featured yet is the Flair Magnatila - very popular over many years. Linds

Posted by Lindsay Todd on 11/08/2015 09:03:01:

On the basis that the title asks for the top sport model of all time then I am thinking back to what has probably be sold in greatest numbers and what seems to have been popular in my own clubs this undoubtedly means the top 3 would be;

1. Wot 4

2. Gangster 63

3. Acrowot

In fairness a few close runners probably for number 3 but the other two are streets ahead, neither of which I have ever owned. Have to agree with BC on the Kyosho Spit 90, but alas not a contender in real terms I feel. One that has not featured yet is the Flair Magnatila - very popular over many years. Linds

these seem to be the popular choice on the tread however this does not match up to my experience at the field. I have been flying for about 7 years now. I seen a few foam wot 4's but wooden ones both kit and artf I can only remember ever seeing 2 and I have been a member of 3 different clubs in that time. I have never ever seen a Gangster at any of the clubs

from what I have seen the top 3 would be Hanger 9 pulse, seagull Harmon Rocket and an easy star but none of these have even got a mention?. the acro wot would be next so I will give you that one. As mentioned above the Magnatila is another popular model. Another popular model that has yet got a mention is the kyosho calmato

Posted by Richard Wood on 11/08/2015 09:46:46:

Phil , the 'of all time' part of the thread title has many people thinking back through
the decades to classic builder's models like the Gangster, Wot 4 etc.
ARTF Pulse, Harmon Rocket etc are relatively recent for old timers like many
of us.smile

Edited By Richard Wood on 11/08/2015 09:47:13

I guess I got into rc planes when ARTF's have taken over. self built models are now in the minority but that is just my experience.

Posted by john stones 1 on 11/08/2015 09:56:17:

Would have to agree Wot 4 is way out in front as most popular/seen model, builders model is stretching it a bit though wink second would be Magnatilla in my neck of the woods.

John

The current MK3 & Classic Wot 4 kits are superb & can be built very quickly but are
still more or less a box of flat bits of wood with two foam wing panels. A far cry from
an ARTF.

Wot 4 in its various incarnations, without a doubt. Still going strong after so many years. Certainly in the UK. In the US it would probably be variants of Das Ugly Stick.

Worldwide, I imagine the Easystar/Bixler/Floater Jet type models must be top of the heap in terms of sales nowadays. I wonder how they'll stand the test of time?

Of course - Wot 4, Acro Wot, Ugly Stick, Multiplex Fun Cub, got/had them all.

One of the great things about the RCHotel is the opportunity to try loads of different models & observe how well they stand up to continuous punishment. Two surprises to me for just how well they flew as sports models were the Ready2 & Blackhorse Speed Air, both of which I purchased & used as winter hacks following visits. Less of a surprise was the EFlite Yak54 Carbon Z which is my present go-to model.

+1 for the Flair Heron on the slope.