New Laser engines. What do you want?

Jon H

Advert

Well that sounds like a resounding yes, which was more or less as i expected.

To answer questions the colour is simple anodising and would not add more than 10-20 quid i am sure so prices wont be excessive.

When i get petrol working nothing will stop us anodising them but if the engine gets too hot irrespective of the fuel it will discolour the anodising and it cannot be fixed so that is one down side.

Another down side is that while the finish is more scratch resistant than the normal finish due to the colour change scratches do show more clearly if you manage to get through the anodising.

The final downside is that anodised parts are non conductive so remote glow connections etc wont work, although there are ways round that when i build the engine so its less of an issue than it at first appears.

I have thought about limited ed's but am not sure how much i like the idea. Sure its great for us and folk will buy them, but other than a quick sales rush what does it do and how does it benefit our customers? My time would probably be better spent on developing something else but i cant quite make up my mind as there are two sides to the argument.

Bob, our myford grinders are that colour...does that help?

Posted by Martin Harris on 25/01/2017 15:30:43:

That's not my 200v is it?

Not quite, i got distracted thinking about assembling a magnum radial

But, yours will be from the next batch i make. Tomorrow its 155's (10 of them) and then its back to the 200 on Monday to finish off the last 5 that are outstanding so next week should have it done. Then its time to get some stock on the shelves so lead times can become a thing of the past. Thats my goal.

I also have prototype parts coming through for the latest version of my 180 petrol prototype. Totally new pump/reg/carb setup. Fingers crossed it will do the job.

Posted by Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 25/01/2017 16:23:58:

Bob, our myford grinders are that colour...does that help?

when I was an apprentice just about everything was that colour! They kept us occupied on the last afternoon before Christmas every year by painting everything green, 3 phase power to the shops was turned off when we left for our lunchtime celebrationsbeer.

Posted by Joespeeder on 25/01/2017 20:33:00:

Hi Jon,

Would this finish be optional at the time of ordering a new engine, the new standard for all engines, or done as batches with some all natural ?

I like the looks of it.

Joe

Hi Joe

As I mentioned before if they go ahead they would be specials and the standard silver lineup would stay as they are.

As some have said these are primarily functional objects and looks are almost irrelevant, but its also true that while some guys are only concerned with the functionality and performance some also have an eye for the cosmetic and want something that little bit extra. Say for example you had a sport model with a very open engine area the black and silver would look ace on display. Long story short, you can still buy the standard engine but if you want a treat and it tickles your fancy the black could potentially be available.

Another aspect of this is advertising. While I want to give you guys a great product that just works away quietly with no fuss, that is really pants for advertising as it isn't in your face demonstrating that it exists and, some would argue, looks relatively plain, and is shipped in a plain white box. As was demonstrated by the speed of replies and general excitement with in them clearly this new finish catches the eye and gives a certain 'wow look at that' aspect to the engines which is good for us.

Edited By Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 25/01/2017 22:14:27

Jon,

I haven't been right through this thread, but is a 60 degree twin feasible to fit into scale warbirds with engines having Merlin-type geometry? Perhaps there are technical problems (vibration etc) with a 60 degree twin. This would require a gear-box just like the full-size to bring the prop shaft up into the scale position, which would also allow larger (true scale) props to be run at lower prop revs. Also, how about a longer forward crankcase to move the cylinders back into a position that would be easier to accommodate in scale models. Pie in the sky?

Posted by John Stainforth on 26/01/2017 01:28:34:

Jon,

I haven't been right through this thread, but is a 60 degree twin feasible to fit into scale warbirds with engines having Merlin-type geometry? Perhaps there are technical problems (vibration etc) with a 60 degree twin. This would require a gear-box just like the full-size to bring the prop shaft up into the scale position, which would also allow larger (true scale) props to be run at lower prop revs. Also, how about a longer forward crankcase to move the cylinders back into a position that would be easier to accommodate in scale models. Pie in the sky?

yeaaaa that pie is sort of in orbit im afraid. Its a good idea but it all comes down to how many would you sell, would it even fit etc etc. A quick sketch in CAD also shows that the cylinders would be arguing with eachother so there are some mechanical issues to deal with as well. In all honesty its a non starter as an inline would fit better and suit a wider range of models.

I wont rule out a geared version of our current V's however and if i am finally able to convince my boss we need new multi cylinder engines a radial will be first on the list.

Manish, Good idea but i simply dont have time. With only me here making engines (and doing everything else) i can either spend my day working or answering forum posts. I have been invited to many forums but do not have time to work on them all. Its hard enough keeping up with this one and the bulk of that i do in my own time so its really not something i can manage. I posed the question here quite informally as i knew i would get quick responses from people i 'know'.

I also dont use rcu as i get this annoying 'virus' popup scam thing appear whenever i go there. It tries to convince me to call some phone number and give away all my money. no thanks

Another aspect of this is advertising. While I want to give you guys a great product that just works away quietly with no fuss, that is really pants for advertising as it isn't in your face demonstrating that it exists and, some would argue, looks relatively plain, and is shipped in a plain white box. As was demonstrated by the speed of replies and general excitement with in them clearly this new finish catches the eye and gives a certain 'wow look at that' aspect to the engines which is good for us.

I totally agree with your "advertising" plus-point, Jon.

Also with the fact that some people can indeed be 'aesthetically' concerned and potentially start to show their new 'baby' around. yes

As for a product name... what about "Midnight Glow"... cool

Cheers

Chris

Hey Jon,

As far a name goes Black Laser is simple, very cool, and as far as I know creating a black laser is impossible since lasers are made up of light and the color black is the absence of all color. But I was a business major so I could be wrong.... lol

Maybe Black Laser or "The Black Laser"..... or to borrow from the previous posts "Midnight Laser" is cool or "The Midnight Laser".....

Joe

Edited By Joespeeder on 26/01/2017 13:29:21

Edited By Joespeeder on 26/01/2017 13:32:42

For a name 'Black Edition' came to mind as 'Laser 360v - Black Edition' sounds pretty good. i know that Mercedes do something similar with their top end AMG cars. I also used to have an AMD 7750 Black Edition computer processor which was supposed to be their super overclocking monster, so there is that. But, its all theory at the moment so time will tell. I do love some of your ideas though. The midnight glow and midnight special did make me smile.

Of more interest to most will be the news that i just tested our new prototype pump/reg/carb combo for our 180 petrol. The performance was excellent and the engine easy to handle on a variety of props. Fuel consumption was very good and the engine very clean.

Pre production engines are next but before everyone starts throwing money at their computer screen i have a great deal of air testing to do yet, we still need a new carb body with heat insulator and some poor sucker (me) has to write some instructions for this blasted thing. All of that on board, i am really happy with my new parts and am eager to get the engine into a model and into the air. Fingers crossed it will perform as well there as it does currently on the ground. if so it will go back into my 1/4 stampe right away

Posted by Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 26/01/2017 15:10:37:

For a name 'Black Edition' came to mind as 'Laser 360v - Black Edition' sounds pretty good. i know that Mercedes do something similar with their top end AMG cars. I also used to have an AMD 7750 Black Edition computer processor which was supposed to be their super overclocking monster, so there is that. But, its all theory at the moment so time will tell. I do love some of your ideas though. The midnight glow and midnight special did make me smile.

Of more interest to most will be the news that i just tested our new prototype pump/reg/carb combo for our 180 petrol. The performance was excellent and the engine easy to handle on a variety of props. Fuel consumption was very good and the engine very clean.

Pre production engines are next but before everyone starts throwing money at their computer screen i have a great deal of air testing to do yet, we still need a new carb body with heat insulator and some poor sucker (me) has to write some instructions for this blasted thing. All of that on board, i am really happy with my new parts and am eager to get the engine into a model and into the air. Fingers crossed it will perform as well there as it does currently on the ground. if so it will go back into my 1/4 stampe right away

Hi Jon,

I second all that has been said for the "black Edition engines - 10-20 extra is fair 50 extra is too much.

On the petrol engine - we want a video! yes

-Artto