New Laser engines. What do you want?

Jon H

Advert

Posted by kevin b on 20/08/2017 21:54:07:

That means you'll have to make at least another 3 Jon. wink

I am hoping to make 6. 1 to keep in house and then 5 more to go out in the wild. I think I have homes for 2 already but nothing is decided

"On Monday we will be starting production of the first pre production batch to be sold (at a favourable price) to people fairly local who can give us feedback and pop into the factory if a really unusual problem arises and we cant sort it on the phone."

I didn't know you'd moved to Hertfordshire cmaz. wink.

I received an email from a German customer today showing me his latest creation. The chap in question took one of our 360v's in black and was so impressed he decided to make a lovely display stand for it, some trumpet style exhausts and a new prop washer. Very impressive work and i bet it will sound great with those exhausts!

img_0298.jpg

img_0278.jpg

img_0280.jpg

img_0281.jpg

img_0286.jpg

• 2 months later...
Posted by onetenor on 15/11/2017 01:49:14:

What about a retro step such as a nice 1.5cc diesel or glow.A nice sport job with reasonable power and easy starting and tuning

I dont think anyone is still using glow or diesel engines this small. At the very least they are not used in sufficient numbers to justify bringing a new engine to the market. Earlier in this thread i was asked about a 50 size 4 stroke and the simple truth is that it is not cost effective to manufacture and it would end up the same price as the 70. In the past our 45, 50, and 62 size engines all died a death when the next size up was introduced so we gave up on the smaller sizes.

I have done some diesel's this year but they are very limited in number and are only for enthusiasts to play with. They are not a commercial product as such.

A quick look around aeromodelling in general shows the direction we need to go and larger engines is the answer. Models are generally bigger now, with smaller models all electric. other large engines are available and its a market we have not touched on yet.

As cool as small engines are, they are pretty much dead ducks in the market these days.

Hi Rich

It has been covered before but to recap the bullet points i would like to do a flat twin. However it wont be below 30cc as its a bit pointless. The flat twin would also loose a battle to our V twin range due to its higher cost of manufacture due to a double throw crank and split big ends. Also a v will usually fit where a flat would fit, but a flat wont fit where a V will (in general).

Due to the above, there is sufficient doubt about their sales potential for me to put them to one side for now and instead focus on a layout that is more likely to be popular. A radial or an inline are the clear winners here. a radial is far less complex than an inline so if i can convince the upper echelons that would be my next target.

Again, dont expect to see them in small capacities as a 50cc engine is about the smallest i would go.anything smaller is poor value and would not be popular. My current radial concept is 88cc and aimed at the 90 inch ish warbird scene.

Hey Jon,

When looking at projects there is a hole in offerings for the narrow cowl 80in ws class of planes. Kolm offers the inlines in the 100cc + sizes and Roto has an 85cc inline. But there are no 50-60cc inlines in 4 stroke.

Love to see that size class inline with a cam timing that makes it growl... lol.

I like CDI glow but a standard glow or gas is cool as long as it would fill that void. Lots of ESM or other Spits, P-51, or Mig 3’s out there.

No one else is in that part of the market and while I’m all in for a radial Saito is filling that segment at LHS’s.

The 60cc in-line would be uniqinand awesome !!

Joe

Bert, As cool as it would be i wouldnt sell any.

I would love to make a monster V8 or something but its not going to happen. I will have to refer you guys back to the original post on this thread about keeping expectations in check as the end product needs to be a commercial item and not something that is just done because we can. An engine like a flat 4 is very expensive to make and appeals to a small number of people. As much as i would love it, its not going to happen.

Joe is more on the right track though, a 60cc inline is an engine that i can see being popular and is something i would push for. However, if you guys wanted it to be petrol it would easily be over 800 quid which is hardly pocket change. How many would fancy that?

Posted by Richard Wills 2 on 15/11/2017 17:13:50:

60cc inline would be cool. Only thing stopping me going for something like the Hangar 9 60cc Mustang is lack of a suitable 4 stroke option. Glow would still be my choice.

How wide is the cowl? our 300v might fit.

Joespeeder: There was lovely home built (in Germany, I think) scale Gypsy Major engine (4 cylinder, 4 stroke) displayed at the LMA show at Gaydon last month. I can't think how much it cost but it's destined for a scale Tiger Moth (30% IIRC). Not sure what fuel but probably petrol. I'm sure John Harper saw it because he was there. Perhaps it's given him ideas ... perhaps Obviously perfect for a narrow cowl.

Geoff

Posted by Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 15/11/2017 17:14:59:
Posted by Richard Wills 2 on 15/11/2017 17:13:50:

60cc inline would be cool. Only thing stopping me going for something like the Hangar 9 60cc Mustang is lack of a suitable 4 stroke option. Glow would still be my choice.

How wide is the cowl? our 300v might fit.

I don't know I may see if I can find out. Had thought of that, and whether I would be upset if it didn't quite fit in. Answer is probably not, you always end up with something sticking out anyway!