R. I. P Steve Dorling

Tim Mackey

Terrible news, I have known Steve for a number of years and will miss his sharp wit and support. He meant an a lot to me and was the first editor that put there trust in me for which I will be forever in his debt. I am very proud to have known, worked with and be able to call him a friend. RIP never forgotten. Lindsay

I first met Steve when he cam to fly his Mustprang at Bumpy Green with Niel tidy. I'd been reading his articles for a long time before that. Clearly a man who loved his sport and spent most of his life devoted to having fun. I've shared many a chat and a Guiness with him at the shows and even a combat session or two. Great guy who will be missed by many, but one thing is for sure, he would much rather we celebrate his life on the flying field than be sad at his loss.

Cheers Steve.

Really sad news, a real gent of the model flying world. Always willing to help offer advice and have a chat. Flew the Orme and the Lleyn many times with him and also introduced him to some of the slopes in Snowdonia you need to break into a sweat to get to, this was never a problem for Steve as he also loved hill walking. You could always really on Steve for some advice whether it was about a trad build freeflighter or the latest composite speed machine, He also was always keen to chat with the youngster in our school club they always enjoyed his sense of humour, good advice and encouragement. RIP Steve

Sad news - I only knew Steve by his writings but I know he and his deep knowledge will be missed greatly.

Rather shocked to hear about Mick Wilshere as well and surprised I hadn't heard anything through the grapevine. I knew Mick back in the 70s at Watford Wayfarers and made his acquaintance again a few years ago when I had some long conversations at his emporium.

Sad news to read. Warm winds and blue skies Steve.. you will be missed by many reading the comments here, and more importantly - you will not be forgotten.

Read some super articles written by Steve over the years, a lot of them solved my problems at the time.. I have kept them too to refresh my memory and point others in the right direction.. The gliding articles in RCME last year I think it was were great for anyone wanting to get into it or a refresher...

Flew a couple of times with Steve at the Lleyn fly in and on the slopes too, saw him in town when we were out over there.. Sad news indeed.. RIP Steve.

I met Steve a few times, at various show or flying venues. A lovely man with a real passion for the subject that he was always keen to share. Indeed an example to many. He will be sadly missed, but I agree let's focus on the positive contribution he made in his life.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 13/12/2015 14:09:32

I met him in person a few times - usually over a beer - and he was a lovely gent to know!

What many won't realise is that he had a 'secret' persona on an American modellers forum, and constantly delighted in winding up the natives there. Very amusing, but usually right on the money.

I'll miss him.

tim