TV "drone" crashes

John Privett

Advert

So, even the commercial drones can have problems. You wouldn't get that with a conventional model aircraft, as it wouldn't be in that environment. For me that is the distinction between 'drones and conventional fixed wing, locational usability. Drones anywhere, fixed wing limited to specific environments.

Posted by Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 23/12/2015 08:17:20:

Surely commercial drones are covered by the same rules as us....ie, dont fly over people!

And there is the reason why

I do not know the French regulations inside out - but as someone who operates MRs commercially in the UK I do know the regs here which are similar in many respects.

The rule for commercial operators are indeed different than for hobby flyers. In particular non-commercial users are prophibited from flying within 150m of a congested area. This limitation does not apply to holders of a Permit if the RPAS weighs less than 7Kg.

Also the only restriction on over flying people in the UK is that you can't fly over an "organised assembly of more than 1000 people". If the RPAS in qiestion was maintaining a "centre piste" flight line and weighed less than 7Kg, he would be perfectly legal as he is more than 50m from the crowd and he has a standing exemption from the "congested area" rule.

I think we have to remember that this is not a "standard hobby flying incident". An extensive risk assessment will have been carried out in which it would be made clear that, while risks can be mitigated, they cannot be eliminated and if TV producers want the sort of shots UAVs can supply then there is (as with any technology employed) a risk associated with that. Also, unlike a hobby flying accident, if this was the UK such an incident would be the subject of a formal investigation - either by CAA (through AAIB) or HSE. I have no reason to believe that matters would be different in France.

My point I suppose is that you cannot really extrapolate form commercial practice to hobby use. Different rules apply and they take place under different regimes.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 23/12/2015 10:38:11

What ever your take on rules that govern the operation of multi copters is, the incident does not look good.

If you argue that the safety assessment worked, critics would argue, only just.

I just take comfort from the fact, that a manned helicopter would have made more of an impact, although it would be argued, that a clear escape route could be easier to arrange.

It does seem that that similar devices are here to stay for commercial use, they provide images that would be either uneconomic or impossible to provide by other means. Although it does seem that this time the operator only just managed to provide a safe operation.

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 23/12/2015 10:36:06:

I do not know the French regulations inside out - .... I have no reason to believe that matters would be different in France....

I think I may have caused some slight confusion with the video I posted! smile o

Whilst the Eurosport commentary on this particular video was in French, the skier was Austrian and the event was actually in Italy. So I guess it's Italian regs you'd need to know.

And yes - I certainly agree this is very different from 'hobbyist' drone incidents.

Posted by Erfolg on 23/12/2015 10:48:31:

What ever your take on rules that govern the operation of multi copters is, the incident does not look good.

If you argue that the safety assessment worked, critics would argue, only just.

I just take comfort from the fact, that a manned helicopter would have made more of an impact, although it would be argued, that a clear escape route could be easier to arrange.

It does seem that that similar devices are here to stay for commercial use, they provide images that would be either uneconomic or impossible to provide by other means. Although it does seem that this time the operator only just managed to provide a safe operation.

Perhaps the skiers should be carrying out their own risk assessment sarcastic 2

Stuff happens.

It might do in the eyes of the uninformed Percy - but frankly they don't matter very much. We know this situation isn't relevant to us - we would never put ourselves in that position - and more importantly I believe is the fact that bodies such as the CAA know this too.

This is a lesson for professionals to learn something from - and I'm sure the lesson will be learnt. But its something I believe we can place at arms length as a hobby, except perhaps to note that incidents like this are why we have the rules we do - to make sure, as far as possible, that they don't happen to us in model flying.

As I've said above, in the professional world migitated and controlled risks are sometimes justifiable, in the hobby world they never really are - so we don;t take them and we have an excellent safety record. CAA know that too.

BEB

any inaminate object flying can go out of control and crash the real copters and planes do. if your model goes fly away and has enough fuel or energy to go out of sight theres not a lot you can do but hope it misses hitting anybody. that drone could just as easily been a camera on a high long boom weighing twice what the drone was

just my opinion

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the drone flew into a cable strung overhead across the track. This is something to which the manufacturers of those head tracking drones which film from a point above and in front of a sportsman will have to give some serious thought.

The one that crashed was certainly a much bigger drone than most of the public would imagine them to be. The ramifications of this incident will be likely to affect drone and model operators alike, purely from the public seeing such a large, high energy, lump of machinery land so close to someone as it did.

Posted by Trevor Crook on 23/12/2015 13:33:16:

I don't think "almost killed" is over dramatizing (for a change). If he had been struck by several kilos of flying camera that appeared to drop like a stone, he could easily have been killed.

I agree that it has little to do with our hobby situation.

In that case I almost get killed on a regular basis on my motorcycle - it never makes headline news though sarcastic

Escaped serious injury perhaps, but "almost killed"? over dramatic in my very humble opinion - drones are getting a lot of coverage, which obviously helps.

So much doom and gloom at Christmas party