What Glue for Ply Doublers?

All the build instructions for years and years seem to say only use a contact adhesive when gluing ply doublers to fuselages. . For many years I used Thixofix which was near pefect as it would spread like peanut butter and was not critical about initial positioning of the 2 surfaces. But I have used up my stock and it seems to be unavailable now.

The reason usually given for using solvent based glue rather than water based is that it does not warp the fuselage when used over a wide area. But is this really so important when we bend the fuselage to pull it in at front and rear anyway?

Some version of Evostik sems to be available but its quite expensive and I remember the old Evostik as messy .. I dont fancy using spray adhesives and water based contact adhesive seems a bit pointless as I might as well use PVA. So I fancy trying PVA for the Ballerina fuselage ( fairly large area of ply and only thin 3/32 balsa ) So should I?

What do other people use now? Have you used PVA and has it warped the fuselage when drying?

Advert

I've used PVA (Wudcare 5 min super fast) but despite its name it takes a long time to go off over a big area. It wasn't a problem as regards warping. I've also used Titebond with no problems apart from the long setting time - at least overnight. I use my stock of old lead acid leakproof batteries as weights.

I've always been a bit wary of contact adhesive because it's nice to have a little adjustment time, which true contact adhesives don't always offer.

Geoff

Did you know that you can use PVA as a kind of contact adhesive.......? Brush the PVA evenly onto both pieces and allow to dry completely. Then put the two together and IRON it with a hot iron, just as you would for iron-on film though because the wood is a lot thicker than film, it takes longer for the heat to get through to the glue so you need to take it quite slowly. I would echo Percy's advice to first give the ply a light sanding to remove any remaining release agent.

Try a test piece, my guess is that you will never look back!

Paul

I have been using a spray on impact adhesive. since my local shop wasn't able to get Thixofix.

I have been using Everbuild Stick 2 Instant spray contact adhesivr. Almst out of this and have a can of STUK Rapid Spray Glue.

These two have adjustable nozzles and work really well.

AS a point of interest PVA has been found still wet after a very long time between a doybler and sheet.

Edited By Peter Miller on 23/12/2015 18:34:24

Thanks for all the replies.

For my last few models I have used Glue Film which is sold for marquetry or furniture veneering. Applied to the ply and ironed on then the release paper is removed and both parts ironed together Works well and is similar to Paul's method in that way. But I have always worried that using heat for film covering might affect the bond. Not had any problems so far. Like contact adhesive it is an instant bond and does not hold up building whilst waiting overnight for glue to dry.

The idea that there is a release agent used on ply was denied somewhere by someone in the industry but they conceded that the heat used in manufacture might have glazed the wood a bit. I cannot remember where I read that but it was likely to be a link from this forum. I suppose this glaze might stop the glue penentrating and delay setting.

30 minute Z-Poxy. Mix up a very small amount on the ply and spread it really thin; it's surprising how far it goes. Use an old credit card or similar as a squeegee.

Weigh it down and you won't have to worry about delaminating.

If the doublers are small eg wot 4 or acro wot, thick cyno spread thinly as above and a squirt of acceleratotor on the other piece of wood. Use the old 4 pins routine to ensure alignment. You generally have to work pdq with this method but it is extremely strong.

I've always thought you weren't supposed to use PVA or aliphatic modified PVA's on large areas because they form a bond through solvent evaporation. If you use it on large areas the only way for the solvent to evaporate is through the wood, which, particularly with ply or dense or thick balsa, means it takes ages to dry in the middle, or never dries at all, as per Peter's post above.

Letting it dry first then ironing it sounds like a good idea. Also epoxy bonds through chemical reaction so would be fine. I've only used contact adhesives up to now. It didn't occur to me that UHU Por is a contact adhesive, I might try that.

John.