Where I might fit in.

James Kerr

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 04/01/2016 17:29:56:

There is also a reason for limiting the number of models flying at the same time, to avoid mid--air collisions - yes even with all the sky up there it does happen - also limiting the number of aircraft in the air lessens the odds of someone getting confused as to which model they are flying... and yes that can happen too....

As a novice, most clubs will clear the sky for you first couple of flights, we do

Based on what I'm fairly certain is the majority experience the number of models in the air to limit really should be either < or > 2 models. Almost every mid air I've seen has been with just two models in the air and lots of other folks have made the same observation. There is probably a fundamental statistical basis for that empirical observation, but it's been true in my experience.

Advert

Hi James, please don't be put off by clubs. I can't really add anything to what has already been said.

When I first started I was a member of a small closed group of 15 or so flyers all of a similar ability and experience. We didn't have meetings, no elections, minimal subs and few rules. That was ok for a small group, flying for nothing from a factory sports field.

When I first joined my current club and read the rules and regulations I was completely put off but when you join and become active in the club, its by know means as bad as the paperwork appeared.

When you have a club that has dozens of members of all abilities and pay several thousand for your field and have reserves in the bank you need some form of regulation to ensure the club functions safely and correctly. No-one wants to see a crash of any kind, so tuition is only right and proper and by using compatible training equipment. If accidents keep happening in the same club, then questions will be asked and so its important that everyone acts responsibly, which includes learning to fly.

I'm the first point of contact in my club and I always say don't buy anything until you've spoken to us because you may not buy the correct equipment.

Restricting the number of models in the air is for 2 reasons. Most commonly its to ensure that any noise emitted from IC engines is limited. Its also to reduce the risk of mid-air collisions.

Many rules appear silly but they are common sense and not there to cause agro.

James, what part of the country are you in?

Posted by Justin K. on 04/01/2016 13:30:02:

Not sure on where you live but maybe slope soaring would fit your "free spirit" attitude better than a powerd flight club?

Edited By Justin K. on 04/01/2016 13:31:56

I may have to resort to this Justin, my house is built on the south facing slope of an extinct Volcano which stands just 200 yards behind my place. And in answer to ChrisB I live in Central Scotland.

I should further explain I am not a complete beginner, I have been scratch building since a school boy and I'm 75 on my next birthday, as for the Futaba thing, I have a Hitec Prism7, which as you may know is a 7 channel, complete with buddy box which I bought with it a long time ago.

This may make you laugh and indicate why I'm wary of Clubs at the same time. Ten years ago I decided to join a Club, I told the Big Chief just what I have said and added I have my own model, the Big Chief said "you can't fly that until I have a look at it" (scratch build photo added I hope) So I turned up, the Big Chief took over my box and started my machine, took of and zoomed around a bit, "Very good flier," said he. Then called over the Instructor, "Right start him off Willie" I was given the Buddy Box, Willie took off, tested the controls and flew the thing straight into the ground.

JK.

extra-mkiii.jpg

I think the post that James made might have been a bit misinterpreted by a few or indeed many. He seems to have been bombarded with some quite firm responses that might put off a newcomer. I think that the point James may have been trying to make is: Is there a way that he can fly a model aeroplane perhaps without the need to be bound to a what may be for him a more restricting club environment but without going out completely on his own knowing he will likely return with a crashed model each time. He askes, I believe if there is another way involving other flyers to help him along in a more informal setting perhaps in a field with pemision to fly model aircraft and to do so safely, his second post demonstrates he is prepared to follow some necessary rules and his op he states that he is looking for help to acheive this.
Would that be right James?

Well fair do's crashing your model, Futaba only and clubs full would put you off a bit, any chance they'd take you if they knew you had your own buddy set up ? hopefully the one that looks more appealing to you will have room if not.

Nice looking model James, hope you get somewhere before Spring..(if we get one)

John

Yep fair comment Rob

Edited By john stones 1 on 04/01/2016 20:29:33

Hi James, I can see why you are cautious. Its always a risk with 'instructors' and as an instructor its always something that I am aware of when flying someone else's plane. Most clubs have their own trainers, or in my case I use one of my own aircraft to give some initial flights and then gradually move to flying the students own aircraft.

Unfortunately some clubs have a number of old school chairman who want to appear to be in charge. Hopefully those types are becoming few and far between.

Edited By ChrisB on 04/01/2016 20:37:23

I felt the same when I started earlier this year, just ask what is the most popular transmiter the instructors use. If there's a problem get your own buddy set as John says. You can always sell it later. I started with Specktrum mode 2 found out later during the week everyone was on mode 1 so I struggled to get a flight.

Posted by leccyflyer on 04/01/2016 22:01:27:
Posted by Peter Miller on 04/01/2016 21:07:14:

I can't help feeling that James would have been better off giving a bit more detail on his background in his original post.It would have saved quite a bit of unnecessary commenting.

Spot on.

+1

Posted by Simon Chaddock on 04/01/2016 22:31:49:

James

If you set up a 'profile' on this site I could send you a PM (private message) explaining how I have managed to achieve more or less what you are seeking.

Simon.

I'm not sure how to make a profile but the Moderator says you can send me a PM without that.

I would be grateful to learn anything that would get me up in the air.

James.

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 04/01/2016 22:36:28:

Simon, just so that you, and others, know. A member does not have to have a profile for you to PM them - you can PM any member. Just go to your PM page and enter the member's name in the "To" box.

BEB

Or alternatively, at the foot of every post is a set of links - the first being "Message member".

So just find a post by the member concerned (probably the post that caused you to want/need to send them a message!) and click the link. thumbs up

Hi James,one of my friends taught himself to fly waiting till everyone had gone home from the club before flying he kept a log of the damage he did to his planes and repairs costs ect ,he is a great flyer now and used to solo a lot of my planes ,he once told me it took a long time and was very expensive to do .one of his flying buddies came to the club with his plane set up totally different to the conventional way .flew really well and could not understand why we flew with the planes set up normally ie ali channel 1 ele ch 2 ect. changed his plane to normal and just flew it .so it can be done .you cannot tell people that how to fly ! john

Well readers, I can start off with good news today, I think I have found my perfect place to fly. I contacted the smaller club by Email and the reply came back instantly, I went today to meet the Club Secretary at his home and paid the annual fee £20. He told me the rules of the club were - no over flying the village to the South, or the road to the North, no flying before 12-00 Noon and no Jets and that is it. I made it clear to him that I didn't hold a License to fly "what License" said he, I said I understood from reading other Club rules and Forums you needed to pass some tests first before being allowed to fly alone, "You mean Bronze, Silver & Gold" and I said yes. "If that were the case no one up there would be flying, none of the rest have any of that" I got him to repeat that, he said "Don't fly alone at the field, if you have an accident your insurance will be invalid, if there is someone there, just get on with it yourself, need help just ask, want to do your own thing then just get on with enjoying yourself, crash it, then pick up your sticks and go home." There are around 8 - 12 members right now which he expects to climb to 18 - 20 when the weather improves. The Club is supported by the Local Council who keep the grass strip cut short and tidy so no heavy work to be done by the same old members.

JK.

Posted by James Kerr on 05/01/2016 14:57:21:

"Don't fly alone at the field, if you have an accident your insurance will be invalid

All good stuff James apart from this bit - assuming you have BMFA insurance, its complete tosh. Modellers are always making up fairy-tales about insurance. Enjoy your flying, alone or not!

Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 05/01/2016 17:09:53