Flair Legionnaire

Advert

The Legionnaire builds into a nice model that flies well but is as easy to hold in a straight line on the ground as a nervous cobra grasped by the tail. Unless you have the left thumb dexterity (assuming proper mode 2) of a concert pianist and reactions of that nervous cobra, you might consider fitting a gyro on the rudder...

Posted by Martin Harris on 25/01/2016 15:54:34:

The Legionnaire builds into a nice model that flies well but is as easy to hold in a straight line on the ground as a nervous cobra grasped by the tail. Unless you have the left thumb dexterity (assuming proper mode 2) of a concert pianist and reactions of that nervous cobra, you might consider fitting a gyro on the rudder...

Agreed yesa very good description . I have heard of fixing the wheels to the axle so they turn together helps take offs . I thinks its the small rudder thats hidden behind the big fuz with little air flow that causes the problem . Once up to flying speed they are fine .

I covered my legionnaire with silver Solatex back in the late eighties , horrible heavy stuff. I still have a part roll of it in my box of covering stuff and it can only be described as feeling like thine lino . For some reason its not like normal tex but more like the ready painted Glosstex I think a far better and lighter finish would be to use antique solartex and spray it silver with solarlac or suitable fuel proof paint. JMO , possibly had a duff batch but never used it since

In my opinion, along with the Dr1, the best looking of the Flair Scouts in the air, the model has such a lot of character. I had one for a while that was loaned to me my a friend as he had such trouble with it.

Ground handing was the main issue and even after all the usual tweaks and fudges and utmost care on the rudder, it was always a lottery as to whether it'd ground loop. I'm sure a gyro would have helped but my friend was afraid of the model and its wayward ground antics and lost confidence in it - a real pity so he sold it on - I wish I'd bought it from him now.

FWIW, keep the weight down at all costs, particularly at the back and watch for warps developing in the lower wing. I also recall a fair amount of adverse yaw from the not overly effective ailerons, so rudder was always needed to give nice turns (once up and away, it would fly quite happily on RE only!). I think Solartex is too heavy for this model, others might disagree - perhaps fibafilm and a light paint finish?

Edited By Cuban8 on 26/01/2016 12:50:03

I can remember using silver Solartex that "bruised", but I'm pretty sure I've used some since that was ok - perhaps they improved it?

Had a Legionnaire many years ago and can't remember ground handling problems (rose-tinted memories?). However I do remember that it needed rudder with the aileron to turn nicely, which is expected for this type of model.

Mines covered in silver solartex, as mention above does tend to bruise, however this adds little to general used look rather than showroom pristine look. Would not worry about weight of solar covering, flies just great with OS 40 4c, also glides very well.

Take offs do require a little care but no need for gyro, it did not like rolling to the left at all. But during trimming flights it was found that it needed quite a bit of side thrust, this helped with the roll and I'm sure it as also helped with take offs.

Did not have any enthusiasm for the model as initially did not like the look of it. However when I got offered the kit for £30 I couldn't turn it down.

Since finishing and flying it, it has got to be the model that I most enjoy flying, tends to get noticed possibly due to not being an ARTF?

SW

I used silver solartex on mine and echo the comments above. Its nowhere near as easy to use as the other colours but looks great when finished.

Wolf, its funny you say your model didnt like to roll left. Mine has a saito 45 up front and it does not like to roll right. left is fine, but right it is not happy! Mine also glides like a brick which is weird as it is not heavy at all. In fact its well under the weight listed on the box and has no lead in it at all. I have added a good amount of right thrust as well which helped no end with all round performance. 

Anyway, despite being tricky to fly well its a brilliant model and very satisfying to fly once you get your head around its quirks.

Nieuport

Edited By Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 26/01/2016 13:41:56

Most aircraft of this time had some quirks both in the air and on the ground and for their pilots a good aircraft rigger was worth his weight in gold along with a good mechanic.

A full size trick I intend to try is a ploughshare tailskid,a narrow blade on the base of the skid that dug into ground some to help keep aircraft going straight during takeoff and landing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...