Sealing a fuel tank

Andrew Davies 3

Hi all,

Thanks for your help last weekend. I'm now putting the fuel tank in, and having read that I should pressure test it before I fit it, I could do with some help.

I submerged the tank in a bowl of water, and with two of the pipes blocked, blew into the other. There are some small bubbles escaping which appear to be coming from near to where one of the pipes exits the bung. I've tightened the screw as far as I dare and wondered whether I could use some silicon or something between the inner metal circle and the rubber bung?

If not, any other tips?

Advert

I think you have a faulty tank if correctly assembled. I don't think a bit of silicone is going to be a lasting fix, and a dodgy tank is potentially a broken plane after the dead stick. Take it apart, and see if you can find a fixable problem. Frustrating I know but a tank has to be right.

A faulty tank will just take all the joy out of flying - replace it or just the bung.

Now that so many have gone over to electric flight there must be stacks of unused tanks around.......someone in your club must have a spare bung lying around.

Not a lot of pressure, but no bubbles. I normally check by sealing all but one pipe, and suck on the last pipe, and expect the vacuum on the tongue sealed pipe to stay vacuumed.

Tiny leaks play havoc wth fuel/air mixture, and hence dead sticks. As I said earlier, the tank has to be perfect.

Posted by Percy Verance on 20/03/2016 07:30:47:

A decent SLEC tank? Hopefully you don't mean one of those awful square things with the plastic inlets/outlets Denis? surprise

Dubro or Sullivan all the way for me........

Edited By Percy Verance on 20/03/2016 07:31:16

+1

Do yourself a favour and dump the ARTF tank - you might fudge it and get it sealed now, but as sure as eggs are eggs, it'll give you problems in the future. Go for a Dubro or Sullivan, there's just too much to risk for the sake of a few quid to get a reliable and well engineered tank.

I've never used any of the tanks that have come with the ARTFs that I've had over the years (just remembered the exception being the one in a Great Planes ARF kit that was fine) but the Seagull and Vmar ones were hopeless. I've tried them and they've either leaked on test or the horrible bendy plastic tubes looked fit to break at any moment.

I hacksaw off the tops and use them for brush cleaning etc - waste not, want not wink

+1 for Dubro tanks. Artf tanks can work well too.

With minute air bubbles you can sometimes just push/pull on the tubes a bit so rubber forms a better seal or tighten/slacken the centre screw if bubbles are coming from there. Putting on the final fuel tubing may also put a strain on the seals so best to check again. I also like to put fuel line clips on to ensure everything stays in place. They are fiddly and sharp so care has to be taken.I then wrap masking tape around the whole lot. Job done and it's fit and forget. It's a pain otherwise having to remove the tank to fix fuel supply/engine problems. Best to get it right first time!

I also use the smallest tank possible for the engine to get a good 15 minute flight. No excess baggage!

Experience with a Dubro tank has taught me that the hole are slightly smaller that the brass tube. I slip the tube into the hole and push the pipe against a piece of wood. This effectively forces the tube to make its own hole giving a good tight seal.

The other good thing with that make is that there is only two holes fully cut. The third is moly half cut, giving the option of a two or three line fuelling set up from one bung.

I pressure test tanks prior to fitting by sealing off two tubes with a piece of fuel tube . Then I pump air into the tank with a large syringe and clamp the pipe with a pair of forceps . If it stays pumped up for 1/2 hr or so then its ok . If not pump up again and dunk it in a bowl of water to trace the leak . Be careful when tightening the bung as the cheaper tanks can split on the seam as the bung expands or as is usually the case split at a later date soaking the moed with fuel . These are usually cheap tanks supplied with artfs and should be dumped . Better tanks have a brass ring that fits over the neck to stop it from splitting when tightened.