Warbird Replicas Ju88 Night Fighter build

Ady Hayward

As a little aside , here is the working prototype of the twin oleo undercarriage . 

It is slightly wider to accommodate the two legs and large wheel , but I think it could be the solution for many British subjects which typically run twin oleo set ups . The thing I am really please about , is the robust nature of the design and its ability to pull a wheel right up high in a nacelle . 

This little beauty will pull through 115 degrees . 

Hope the video below works , otherwise I am wasting my breath .

• Like 2

Advert

That looks great Richard - with a little bit of additional non- structural struttery or shrouds that could be the biz for a Mosquito or Beaufighter. The problem with so many of those rearwards retracting twin undercarriages is the interference with the wing, which a rigid undercarriage imparts. Many of the original full scale designs are articulated and have a linkage which shortens the length of the legs as they retract. The Beaufighter gear is also hung on the front of the spar and wraps around it to a certain extent as it retracts, which coupled with bulges in the main gear doors, makes the retracted gear much more compact.

16 minutes ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

As a little aside , here is the working prototype of the twin oleo undercarriage . 

It is slightly wider to accommodate the two legs and large wheel , but I think it could be the solution for many British subjects which typically run twin oleo set ups . The thing I am really please about , is the robust nature of the design and its ability to pull a wheel right up high in a nacelle . 

This little beauty will pull through 115 degrees . 

Hope the video below works , otherwise I am wasting my breath .

Twin oleo retracts.MOV

Nice for a Westland Whirlwind or  Bristol Beaufighter?

Edited by Eric Robson

I am sure , like a lot of us here , I have pondered the Brian Taylor Mosquito in its two guises and been dismayed at the undercarriage .  Building the model is one thing , but spending the same amount of time again on making the wheels disappear is not my idea of fun . 

Equally , I look at some of the commercial stuff and the lack of travel plus the flimsy locks would not make me feel that the problem has been really solved . 

We shall see if this and its variants will be the ultimate fix . 

Although this might seem off topic (dear moderator) , in fact it is the very reason that the JU88 kit was created . 

The idea was to make a simple , practical and robust big twin that could persuade people that now electric propulsion is available , they could start here as a launch onto more exotic multis . 

The undercarriage is the last stumbling block . ( "Pun excused Richard." ) 

Thank you for bringing it up, Richard . 

"You're welcome ".

I really must try to sort out my multiple personality disorder .

• Like 2

They look really good and can't wait until the big box turns up....even got rid of a couple foam/ARTF to make space!

If the Ta 154 makes it through is maiden the single leg versions could be an option + really interested in the twin leg ones for my SG Laser Mossie as they have already been apart a couple of times due to the ali bruising and binding on the pin. The Mossie has no coils so a lot of the rearward just goes into the trunnion area.

I guess to maintain balance and harmony with the universe (and keep the boys happy) for every IC model I should have have an electric...? 

23 hours ago, leccyflyer said:

That looks great Richard - with a little bit of additional non- structural struttery or shrouds that could be the biz for a Mosquito or Beaufighter. The problem with so many of those rearwards retracting twin undercarriages is the interference with the wing, which a rigid undercarriage imparts. Many of the original full scale designs are articulated and have a linkage which shortens the length of the legs as they retract. The Beaufighter gear is also hung on the front of the spar and wraps around it to a certain extent as it retracts, which coupled with bulges in the main gear doors, makes the retracted gear much more compact.

Yes that can look like a complication Brian , but the unit will fit below wing on the BT and TN mossie and still be contained within the nacelle . Therefore it doesnt encroach on the spar . At the same time the legs lift way up into the wing and will take a big wheel right up out of the way . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ive just sent Chris one of the twin sound systems in a very plain brown box that hints at containing three sets of boxer shorts . 

All of this is part of the undercover work that we , at WBR HQ work tirelessly on to keep our loyal customers out of the divorce court . 

In fact it reminded me to tell you all about an exciting new "bolt on " service that the boys have been working on . 

Some time ago , I was dragged into court as a "contributing witness" in the divorce case of one of my longer term customers . 

The judge announced to everyone that I had contributed to the demise of this couple by selling the husband "Inflammatory Goods" . 

Unable to keep quiet I pointed out that his comments were pretty rich from someone who was dressed in red and imitating an erupting volcano with that wig running down from his crown to his elbows. 

I was found in contempt of court and six of my Spitfire Kits were impounded . 

Anyway the upshot is that the Right Reverent Sweep is now offering marriage guidance counselling to my existing customers , who feel their marriages are getting a little near the edge . 

He assured me he will remain impartial and non committal , although it's very hard to judge from a series of squeaks .

Rev sweep.jpg

He did seem unusually angry in that shot . 

Although it is not what it appears to be .......a pin 

But in fact , a croquet stick left behind by the "Borrowers "

( I believe one of their "give away " safety pin grappling hooks was also found nearby ) 

I cant say too much, as a lot of people don't think they exist . 

If so , then why are we always losing stuff ?

Don't worry there is a known cure...the boys told me when I visited once between the their forced incarceration and work in the the community whatever that is a dare not ask.

Anyway they said the simple cure was to build more WBR models, post on this forum and use this a self help forum and following their advice I have started the slow process of recovery. Firstly by ordering the JU88 then parts and now the sound system. The boys are right as I feel so much better I opened the box !

image.thumb.png.cecb4de1d3c30c88d0b02a802c49f0df.png

Quick bit of unpacking and super impressed with quality of all the bits and bobs

image.png.7397d0d25ba54055fe1a22b38badb70f.png

You may notice that the other part of the therapy is to clutter the bench until you can't put anything down then tidy it up so you can't find anything and the boys assured me this is an invaluable process you have to go through many times during the build. ?

So two questions?

1. What's the suggested servos to be used the various locations?
  2. Bottom of the second photo are 4 plastic parts...are they needed or are the boys just messing with me? 

I feel I might need to start the build sooner than planned.....self control is so difficult!

Edited by Chris Walby
  • Like 1

Ron, the open train tickets are there just in case the garage door is opened and a stock take is initiated (lucky I have moved all the electric models to the spare room!)!

I think you need some help from the Right Reverent Sweep....he is very clear about the returns policy....you will then be introduced to the rest of the gang.....ever thought of being converted ....to fully electric?

Happy to say this picture was taken after the maiden flight today. After a taxi up and down the strip all seemed well so take off possibly had too much throttle, she took off and the port wing dropped I managed to pick it up ok and after that it flew straight. Once airborne it only needed 3 notches of up to fly straight. After 4 mins. I brought it in for a landing unfortunately the flap servo wiring had dislodged and stopped the port leg from coming down fully so I lifted the undercarriage and belly landed. with full flap it gently came down dead straight and landed without any trouble. Very pleased with the model Richard seem to have the wing geometry spot on it is the easiest twin I have flown, I did not have to add any weight to get it to balance and after 4 mins. flight there was still 48% left in the 4s 4600 batteries. Need to order some more as I only have 4 that will fit so two flights only at the moment as my 4s  4000batteries are too big .

DSC_0000_BURST20210501155107706[2187]Ju 88.jpg

• Like 4