hobbyking - big changes

Advert

It does not seem to have separate sites. All mixed together. And you just have to know where you can post from, or not.

Computer Techies have a long history of such nonsense. I believe it starts when the techie asks the people who know how the business runs, to put the business process on paper. The techie then wants it in techie speak. The non techie people who understand the business are beguiled by the argument that they are nothing without techie speak.

And so, without understanding techie speak, try to write it. And the result is like Google translate.

Arrrrrrr said the techie when it all falls over, don't blame me, that's what you wrote.

Posted by Donald Fry on 28/10/2016 09:34:59:

It does not seem to have separate sites. All mixed together. And you just have to know where you can post from, or not.

Computer Techies have a long history of such nonsense. I believe it starts when the techie asks the people who know how the business runs, to put the business process on paper. The techie then wants it in techie speak. The non techie people who understand the business are beguiled by the argument that they are nothing without techie speak.

And so, without understanding techie speak, try to write it. And the result is like Google translate.

Arrrrrrr said the techie when it all falls over, don't blame me, that's what you wrote.

this is an old problem not a new one. If you need a job doing do you hire the best man for the job or the cheapest?

not all Techies as you call them are the same.

Edited By Phil 9 on 28/10/2016 09:50:16

What a complete and utter dog's breakfast. HK have really shot themselves in the foot with this so-called revamp.
Just been playing with a few searches for items that I buy fairly regularly from them and the results are nonsense. Multi warehouse ordering will be a nightmare, and is an option I never felt I needed anyway - much easier to keep UK and international orders separate.
I never found the old site to be a problem, if you ever need a finer example of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it', then this is it.
Fingers crossed they'll get it sorted.

Bit 'clunky' but generally works for me, Windows10 and Edge. Using $1.17 exchange for the PayPal rate as the official online rate is $1.21 Did a quick check and compare on prices for an ASP 52 - just a few pounds more from JustEngines than GB HK. I'd go to JE as much easier to deal with if problems. JE Much cheaper than EU HK for ASP180FS. We have had it very good(cheap) for the last 15years or more. I would guess we about to experience the other side of the price curve. Hope everyone got a good stock of items in store for the future.

Haven't used HK for quite a while now as stuff I've bought recently from UK LMS/online has been very good on price. but out of curiosity tried using the HK site this morning which is pretty much impossible and clearly a right dogs dinner.

Wouldn't like to be the head of Web Services sitting down next to the head of sales during the daily sales meeting right now.

On the other hand if I was a UK business I'd be having a wry smile.

Just off to place an order with a well known good retailer in Yorkshire....

Posted by bigbubba on 28/10/2016 01:09:33:

Geoff,

Not sure which side of Nottingham you are but Gliders at Newark are excellent, a great LMS and well worth a visit.

I am only at Grantham so just a short trip up the A1 for me.

Bubba

I'm actually in Derbyshire, 12 miles west of Nottingham, so Newark is about 40 miles. When we were younger and fitter our Sunday bike club runs sometimes went as far as Southwell but Newark was a bit too far. I have been to Gliders once but really postage is cheaper than fuel and running costs.

I've used HK quite a lot in the past and never really had any problems. Most of my LiPos came from there and they've been OK and certainly cheaper than anywhere else and just as good. I hope they get their web site sorted out or they're toast. I bet they're not getting many orders right now.

Geoff

It works, but the range of items stocked seems to have shrunk enormously. For example, look at Wheels in the Hardware section. There used to be a huge range and now hardly anything at all.

Also, a particular LiFe battery I bought only a couple of weeks ago from UK is now showing as only in US west coast warehouse.

I'm going to wait and see if things improve before ordering anything else. Normally, I do only use HK for items not easily obtainable from a single UK source, but now will probably need to shop around here and there.

I've just looked at some batteries which I bought from the UK warehouse last week, Zippy compact 5000 6S. Price has jumped from £38 to £52, but it doesn't matter 'cos they are out of stock. In fact nearly everything seems to be out of stock. Like others I cannot see how to order from any particular warehouse. Perhaps it's just pot luck? Clicking on "Arrivals" and "New Items" is interesting. Shows the last 1000 odd items in any order you want except date of arrival. DOH!!!

Graeme

A Rx operated switch that I tried to order last weekend and had a thread going bemoaning that I couldn't log in to order, shows as "out of stock", but if I click to look at the item/spec it shows as "in stock". The price is different too. Maybe 2 warehouses competing for one order? They have taken my money but so far nothing arrived but it is early days after the probs. ordering. Happy days.crying 2frown

John

It's certainly all over the place at the moment. They seem to have attempted to merge ordering from the different warehouses, so you don't know where stuff is coming from unless you look at your basket. They have addressed a problem that, for me, never existed. I certainly won't be ordering anything until they sort things out, assuming they do. Shame, because I've used them a lot with very few issues.

HK seem to have broken one of the principal rules of IT. The rule that has been broken is that they do not seem to have run the new system in parallel with the old system, but in the background. Then they would have had a very good idea how the new system handled the orders. It may not have been possible to have have run all aspects in parallel, although probably + 75%.

iqon

I suspect that until the IT people get their act together it is any ones gues, outside of HK that is, guess what is intended.

I am guessing that this all mighty cock up, is costing HK dear. If it is not, then HK have shot themselves in the head, as purchasing will be drastically down, on previous sales.

All this is excellent news. Now let's get back to the long established British model shops that are left and are giving excellent mail order service. Let's give them the support they need and deserve. Where would be be if we all had been lured by Hobby King and then HK had gone under , or started to charge exorbitant prices

AFTER we had starved our shops out

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 29/10/2016 08:13:15:

I tried to go on last night to buy some Lipos, from the UK warehouse what a mess. Anybody recommend a good source for lipos in the UK.

Gliders G-Power packs are my current pack of choice, when the Tipple well dried up - highly recommended.