Outrunner fixing screws

Glyn44

I am building an electric model and I am unsure whether I should do the following.

I have come to the point where I need to bolt on the motor, before I fit on the final side of the fuse. This is to enable easy access to the four screws behind the firewall. I realise that once the build is complete I will be unable to get at the nuts of these bolts, if I should ever need to remove the motor. So my question is will it be ok to reverse them so that the bolt head is inside and the nuts are on the outside? If so I can hopefully undo the nuts. I was thinking of a blob of epoxy applied to the bolt heads to make this task easier.

I can't see any disadvantage myself, but what do I know!

Advert

You could use threaded insets from Modelfixings though the smallest is 4mm.

In the past I have made my own captive nuts by soldering ordinary nuts on to a piece of fibreglass PC board and glueing the PC board to the back of the firewall. To give lots of glueing area use one big piece for all the nuts with appropriate holes for the motor shaft and connections. No reason why you couldn't do the same with the bolts rather than the nuts.

Geoff

Ok I'll try ind find an old pcb,must be something electrical broken around somewhere, I guesse I can't pinch one out of the bosses washing machine, I'm reckon she'll notice.

I have rang a mate who has four 4mm captive nuts I can have. So I'll look at both methods. Sure I'll get around problem with one of them hopefully.

Thanks again guys. I'll post my solution soon as.

Hi Glyn,

I suspect PatMc might be talking about unetched PCB. You can buy it from RS Components, CPC Components or probably Maplins. You want fibreglass single sided copper board. With some nuts soldered on and set up so the load is trying to pull the nut through the board it is immensely strong.

Shaunie.

Indeed the motor will be attached using the supplied cross type mount. I had considered using using woos/self tappers directly into the 3mm ply, wasn't sure it would be good enough, but I suppose with a pot of CA on the thread, and it is a pusher model, it is the easiest solution for me, reckon I'll try it. Thanks.

Don't worry about steel nuts, they'll be fine unless they turn out to be stainless! Buff the surface with some wet and dry or scotchbrite first if you want to really sure.

If it's a small medel then screws into the ply will be fine but anything sizeable do as you are intending.

Shaunie.

Sometimes I have used a scrap of PCB that has enough copper still on but last one was from an unetched piece of old brown phenolic board.

Method I use is to hold the "X" mount in place on an oversize piece of board, drill the mounting holes & centre to clear any protruding shaft etc if necessary. Clean up the nuts with a quick rub on a file or emery cloth. Secure the "X" mount temporarily with the screws & nuts, solder the nuts, dis-assemble, trim the board to the required size. Finaly re-assemble on the firewall with a few drops of medium cyano holding the board to the firewall.

Easier to do than describe. wink 2

PS I use steel nuts.

Edited By PatMc on 27/11/2016 21:20:39

Take a magnet when you go shopping for tinned food! Some cans seem to be steel including Heinz & Colmans.according to a magnet tried in the larder today.

Actually it is possible to make hexagon nuts captive in wood simply by pulling the nuts into the ply ( without washers) with a bit of extra force.   Or by counterboring with a drill equal to the diameter across the flats of the nut.   Not necessarily recommended for motors but handy for making larger woodwork like jigs and benches.

Edited By kc on 28/11/2016 11:16:19