Spray painting camouflage pattern

Chris Walby

Advert

Posted by Chris Walby on 10/02/2017 11:46:28:

Thanks guys, free hand looks like the way to go although I think I'll have some fuzzy lines to start with so the underside first for me!

Jim....I live in awe, how you get those invasion strips so straight free hand I'll never know laugh

Edited By Chris Walby on 10/02/2017 11:53:46

For authenticity, nice sharp and straight lines may not be correct! Existing aircraft in service had them painted on "overnight" with brushes and, I believe, minimal, if any masking...

• 5 months later...
Posted by pete taylor on 10/02/2017 09:06:54:

+1 for freehand airbrushing and another +1 for the elevated card method. Both work well.

Attached picture is the result of the airbrushupper surface.jpg method and needs a clear matt coat to even out the colours.

Pete,

Can I ask what paint you used?

Thanks

S

For airbrushing Stuart, you will read time and time again to spray with the "consistency of milk"

You have bought spectrum enamel, which needs enamel thinners to spray.

Airfix had similar enamel, and now acrylic colours.

Google Vallejo paints, that wargamers use, and suitable thinners

Then there is car paint of the cellulose variety which offers countless mixes.

For IC, you need fuel proofing, which spectrum is, but other paints can be made fuel proof by finishing with varnish.

Let everything dry between stages, at least overnight, but volatile substances, like your enamel, does dry quickly

I use Tamiya acrylics mainly with good results. They're available in matching rattle cans too for large areas which makes life a lot easier.

For large-area masking i use either newspaper or brown parcel paper tacked into place using 3M Spray Mount, then add any soft edging to the final result freehand using an airbrush, matching up the wing joins etc at the same time.

20170601_154530.jpg

hunter 005.jpg

Thanks Denis blush

Both of those used the Tamiya rattle can/airbrush technique, as did the Albatros and lancaster below .

I use the cans for large areas and airbrush for edging/detail/filling in (aka cock-ups!)

The brown paper/3M method was used exclusively on the Spitfire for all of the roundels, letters and serial numbers to good effect. Cheap too!

JP Albatross DVa Priory Models Lancaster

20170526_125426.jpg

The beauty of the Spitfire goes without saying, and the Albatros was among my first Airfix builds, being so attractive,

But LOOK at that Lanc Pete, it amazes me just how beautiful they are, and enormous by any standard, and on one

Particular day in history, a pilot climbed into that enormous machine believing he could fly it, how brave they were, and they did fly them.

The Lanc is special, lovely camo

Awesome skills there guys - really a treat to see.

One other technique I am fond of is Blu-tac and cling film. You just cut the Blu-tac into thin strips, bend it to the shape of the camo you want and mask off the rest with the cling film which sticks well to the Blu-tac. You can then spray the subject area with rattle cans or an air brush. By spraying down vertically around the edges you can get nice blurred edges. Couple of my humble efforts below - EDF Skyhawk and a PSS Spit..

a4 bluetac.jpg

www11.jpg

spit paint.jpg

spit.jpg