Horizon Hobbies

Hi All, What about Horizon Hobbies?

I sent a glitchy Spektrum RX to horizon Hobbies in France (I live here) I asked them to check it over

This was several months ago. No reply, absolutely zilch. I've sent several emails and letters, also a recorded delivery letter. I've tried to phone, but have endless troubles with the line. Fortunately it was not a very expensive model.

It seems to have vanished into the french ether

Any ideas?

ernie

Advert

I bought a DX6i as a package with Phoenix Sim about 3 years ago when on a business trip to Singapore (as at the time they were hard to get here in Thailand). Things were fine for a year or so but then I had a couple of crashes which were put down to power loss / loss of signal. After making repairs etc the ESC would not arm and then suddenly went to full power even with the throttle all the way down. A bit more testing showed a dodgy throttle lever as the power fluctuated randomly from full to zero whenever the stick was moved. Anyway, with no service centre in Thailand I wrote to HH direct and they were quick to respond saying they would be happy to look at it if I sent it to their USA service centre. Needless to say I am now the owner of a Futaba 10j Tx and am very happy. The biggest pain has been having to replace the various receivers that I had already purchased.

Posted by Guvnor on 15/02/2017 23:52:17:

It's over. Horizon UK shuts end of March, all staff going.

If true there is a certain irony to that. So many times those with Spektrum radios have told me the reason they would never go with FrSky is an absence of UK based mail in support (fundamentally incorrect, but many are unaware of the services offered by Premier FrSky dealers like T9, plus spares are readily available for repairs at home too). Now with this change that is exactly where Spek users are themselves; mail in support is going to get a whole lot more expensive and time consuming now international shipping is involved.

Posted by MattyB on 16/02/2017 11:14:43:
Posted by Guvnor on 15/02/2017 23:52:17:

It's over. Horizon UK shuts end of March, all staff going.

If true there is a certain irony to that. So many times those with Spektrum radios have told me the reason they would never go with FrSky is an absence of UK based mail in support (fundamentally incorrect, but many are unaware of the services offered by Premier FrSky dealers like T9, plus spares are readily available for repairs at home too). Now with this change that is exactly where Spek users are themselves; mail in support is going to get a whole lot more expensive and time consuming now international shipping is involved.

I suspect Mike Ridley is about to get a whole lot busier!

Depends how they do it, years ago I had to send my MPx Cockpit Sx (35mhz) in after a recall (it was working fine but they recalled them), I sent mine to MPX in Germany, the cost wasn't very high, it was back quickly and MPX had included a free servo as compensation. It might get more expensive Post Brexit (i.e. customs declarations etc) but for now the cost isn't much more that UK postage.

But if they did a deal with Mike Ridley to be their service agent it would make life easier, but maybe it would overload him wink

I was thinking of awarding myself a new Spekky Dx Tx as a retirement present - not an expensive one - <£200 would do the job. But now I'm not so sure, especially as the lower specified HiTec sets do look rather appealing, and their smaller Rx's aren't too pricey either. I reckon HH bailing out of the U.K. might just tip the scales against choosing a new Spektrum set - what experience of Hitec service/reliabiliy/repairs do my fellow parishioners have?

My Hitec Aurora9 went back via Steve Webb and was returned about a weeke later with a phone call from Perkins offering me a set up talk through if I was having problems. They found no problem and there was no charge - excellent! Had it 2 plus years now and no problems. Am now going to try an Ikonic receiver from Airtek, much cheaper than the Hitec Optima receivers. I also run FrySky with my Futuba FF9 and again absolutely no problems.

• 4 weeks later...