Wings - the tv series

Tony Read 2

For Christmas my wife bought be the Wings DVD box set. It was first shown in 1977/78 and ran for 25 episodes. It concentrates on the early period of WW1 when aerial combat was in its infancy.

I loved it! The flying sequences still stand head and shoulders above much of the CGI rubbish in recent years. The excellent model flying was done by David Boddington and the replica BE2 and Eindecker looked good to me. The 'runabout' BE2 had a bit of a floppy tail, but still looked the part.

Some of the acting was a bit over the top (Triggers could certainly chew the scenery!) and shouty, and one or two of the home front scenes dragged a little bit, but I would highly recommend anyone who has not seen it before to get a copy. I'm going to watch it all again very soon!

Advert

I wonder if any of the models from Wings survive? I have a Bleriot from the Flambards series.

When visiting Old Warden in the 70's I came across the abandoned airfield set that was yet to be cleared and still have a section of canvas with the War Department crows foot symbol on it.

Thanks Dwain. I did a Google search rather than look at the BBC site and found it complete on YouTube.

Wings on YouTube

I suspect neither the sound nor image quality will be up to a DVD set but it's all there I think. I had difficulty following the speech but that's probably because my hearing isn't what it was - I use sub-titles when they're offered when I watch programmes on the iPlayer or films on Netflix.

Geoff

Looks like quite a bit of research was done before they made it. The accent of Alan Farmer (Woodward) struck me as odd for Sussex, but a search on the WWW seems to indicate its a reasonable stab at it. Bet not many people from Sussex way have that accent any more though!

The model flying sequences are very good, as you would expect, and stitch in with the replicas making it hard to tell one from the other. One of the Eindeckers even appears to do an Immelmann turn!

I know one of the 'models' is still in existence. We rebuilt the Pup a few years ago and its now on display at Stow Maries WWI Aerodrome in Chelmsford, Essex. They also have the models from Aces High, the Eindekker from the opening dogfight and crash I restored a few more years ago.

db1.jpg

dscf3185.jpg

dscf3186.jpg

dscf3195.jpg

Posted by Tony Read 2 on 31/03/2017 13:09:57:

Looks like quite a bit of research was done before they made it. The accent of Alan Farmer (Woodward) struck me as odd for Sussex, but a search on the WWW seems to indicate its a reasonable stab at it. Bet not many people from Sussex way have that accent any more though!

There are a few - mainly 'oldies' though.

My daughter had a lovely 'burr' when she was younger, mixing mainly with the local farming community.

Unfortunately lost it when she went to college.sad

Soon we'll all speak estuary english innit.

Kim

Posted by Kim Taylor on 31/03/2017 20:58:05:
Posted by Tony Read 2 on 31/03/2017 13:09:57:

There are a few - mainly 'oldies' though.

My daughter had a lovely 'burr' when she was younger, mixing mainly with the local farming community.

Unfortunately lost it when she went to college.sad

Soon we'll all speak estuary english innit.

Kim

Not up here bonny lad. wink 2

Posted by Tony Read 2 on 30/03/2017 13:42:42:

Some of the acting was a bit over the top (Triggers could certainly chew the scenery!) and shouty, and one or two of the home front scenes dragged a little bit, but I would highly recommend anyone who has not seen it before to get a copy. I'm going to watch it all again very soon!

I liked Capt Triggers. I love his enthusiasm for everything

Boddo also did the models for Flambards and that DVD is still available and worth watching. In one of his articles he mentioned that in both Wings and Flambards " the cameras were 'overcranked' i.e. when you see the images on your screen they were at a slower than actual speed" Making the "slowed down flying sequences...... far more realistic " ( RCSA Feb/March 1993 page 59 )

The Stow Maries WW1 aerodrome is well worth a visit.and is adjacent to Flambirds farm so presumably the Flambards author had Stow Maries in mind. However the Flambards DVD does not seem to have been filmed in Essex more like Old warden and somewhere else.

By the way here in Essex respectable people speak 'BBC English' contrary to the rumuors put about by TV programmes!

Edited By kc on 01/04/2017 14:04:24

Posted by Martin Harris on 31/03/2017 01:05:14:

It's a very long time since I watched it but IIRC the central character was named Farmer and was played by Tim (son of Edward) Woodward.

Ah yes, I remember that now, it's all coming back to me, well some of it anyway wink 2

Thank you for drawing my attention to this magnificent series again. I really enjoyed the series when it was shown on TV in the 70s. I had to watch it in Black and White back then as we did not have a colour TV in those days, so viewing it in colour for the first time is an extra treat. I have watched S1E1 and can't wait to move on through the series.

Thank you again.

In the June 1979 RCM@E issue DB recalls the trials and tribulations of filming the Flambards series with photos of the models used including the fictitious Emma and a couple of the full size [ non flying ish, some did hops ] aircraft.

Models built

2 Blackburn 1912 monoplanes

2 Bleriot XI

1 Blackburn 2 seat Mercury

2`Emma' triplanes and their conversions