New request for a 'like' button

Stevo

Advert

I'm intrigued Stevo.....what actually is this Like button for or to do......? Confirmation that people ARE following the thread....? As we see from your other thread many people do "lurk" on threads & enjoy them very much ( myself included)......how would a like button change anything?

Not a criticism in any way....as I say I am genuinely intrigued by what would be gained.....

It's a visible/recorded acknowledgement that the 'liker' has seen/appreciated/agrees with/understands the post without cluttering up the thread with needless posts which interrupt the flow. It doesn't stop anybody who has a positive (or negative, for that matter) contribution from doing so...

Posted by Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 22/10/2017 12:59:12:

Not a criticism in any way....as I say I am genuinely intrigued by what would be gained.....

Quick, convenient feedback for those who prefer not to leave a comment.

OTOH they could simply do what 3 other posters to this thread already have done. wink 2

No offence intended here Steve - I have read your other thread and know exactly where you're coming from.

I must admit that I find the facebook etc culture of competing to gain as many "friends", who "like" your thread a bit tacky.

I think the count of how many views and replies a thread has is sufficient.

The thumbs up / down symbols or other smilies are another existing way of showing your feelings without having to write an essay.

My thoughts. As others have said the thumbs up/down in the emoticons is enough really if you want to show you are following/support the thread.

The thing that annoys me is how the thread can quickly go off piste where others don't read the original post and/or it gets more pages. My suggestion is to keep the original post locked at the top so as it grows in pages the original post is there at the top to remind us what we should be commenting on/helping with keeping the thread focused on the subject in hand.

Mike T -could not agree more!! I've raised this in the past as well, and believe this is the way to go. Obviously that has a cost overhead; crowdfunding comes to mind.

No I'm not looking for a (tacky) Facebook like friends button etc.. A like button would simply be a thumbs up to say that someone is watching.

Alternatively (Steve H) a count of views is buried in the bookmarks page. As the data already exsists, could this also be placed at the bottom of the post as well? At least it could give a quick indication that the post is getting out there - but may also be susceptible to bots as well ..

Nope...still don't get it....as others have said & indeed done a thumbs up post does the job surely?

A "Like" button would I presume show how many times it had been clicked on & this would show.....what exactly? You have a thread with 5,467 views & 2,358 likes....does that mean that 3,109 viewers DON'T like the thread or that 3,109 viewers can't be bothered to click the like button? So what either way.....?

Don't get me wrong I think the build blogs are excellent & I am in awe of many of the guys who do them (currently very much enjoying Garys' Ultimate build) & I believe they really add interest & incentive to the forum (you wouldn't believe how many good ideas I've nicked & I'm sure others do too) but why do you guys do them?

To get lot's of "Likes"? somehow I doubt it.....

I agree that a 'thank you' button could be useful as it can save the thread getting diluted with thank yous and thumbs up which can make it more difficult to find the responses with useful content.

As for the forum being upgraded, I think the whole site needs upgrading, especially to a responsive design that works properly on my mobile and maybe an app. But, given the enormous cost of that, I wouldn't expect it to be something that would happen soon.

Although I'm a subscriber, this is still a free forum and for the purpose, it's more than adequate!

Multiple views count as multiple views Mac - even if made by the same person.

In my view "number of views" is effectively a "like" button for this forum. We are aeromodellers, following someone's build activities step by step is the sincerest compliment we can make. I feel we are not teenage girls in a superficial popularity contest wink 2

BEB

I think the views does not really give a precise indication of how many people you are actually communicating to on a thread you create. If you know how many people sub then you know how many people really sincerely appreciate the content being produced with precision. Knowing that alone would mean you don't need a like button as you know how many are following you long term which is the biggest compliment to me. Not all views are equal so it does not give any real info to the thread creator. I see it as more for the advertisers.

I think wanting to know how or if you are being effective at spreading information and inspiration, is not superficial and immature and I don't care if it is seen as that.

To be clear though a like button for me is pointless to the thread creator. To me I would see it as a tool for the website to direct traffic to where they want and create more activity.

Tony B beat me to the punch about the thank you button .I agree . It shows for instance if something has been learned from someone's posting Also can we not just click on any urls etc instead of chasing it in blue and opening a new tab etc.Other forums do it so it can't be that hard to do. Can it?

Not to suprising that the Admins aint keen..

All I really ask for is just a confirmation that someone has read the post and found it helpful, and is following. It's not that hard.

Likening it to FB and poularity contests is not at all helpful.

Posted by Stevo on 23/10/2017 07:39:07:

All I really ask for is just a confirmation that someone has read the post and found it helpful, and is following. It's not that hard.

I agree Stevo. This should just be basic functionality on any type of forum. But nothing will change, I guess. And don't get me started on the antiquated process you have to go through to post a picture!

Posted by Stevo on 23/10/2017 07:39:07:

A like or thank you button would be very useful- especially on build blogs.

Edited By ted hughes on 23/10/2017 09:20:58

The problem with posting a thumbs up (as seen at the top of this thread) is that subscribers get a mail saying - Thumbs up - which can be rather infuriating as it adds no value.

I think what we are trying to get to is an acknowledgement that a post is helpful - useful for the author and provides encouragement to continue..

Martyn.