I'm thinking of getting a compressor

Andy C

As a kid I had a small model airbrush which ran of small air canisters. With my interest spanning RC car restoration, RC plane building and static model building I'm thinking now might be a good time to at least investigate getting a compressor mainly for paint spraying, but also would be nice just to have a jet of air for clearing sanding dust etc and maybe start a small range of tools eventually if I see a benefit. However, I have no idea what I need so looking for some advice would be great please.

Thanks

Advert

Hi,

I had my own workshop on my farm. For my models I use a tiny HVLP gravity spray gun with this big compressor.

It is a 50 litre reservoir and a 2Hp compressor. I guess I'm not much help as I think most other modelling types tend to use little desk top compressors for their airbrush kits. Have a look on-line at the airbrush company. You'll get a feel for what is available (and affordable)

Good luck with your project(s).

If you only want an airbrush compressor, I have an AS196 Twin with tank and its excellent, I got mine off Ebay for £69. It is quiet and more than enough puff for airbrushing and air blasting on models. A great modelling tool

If yoiu want something bigger a 1.5hp or 2HP compressor with tank will be needed if you want to run air tools or even a touch up gun, but these are noisy beasts, my 1.5hp compressor will run the airbrush as well BUT it is extremely noisy, and heavy

I bought what I call a proper compressor from Aldi about 5yrs ago. Good size tank and good pressure for airtools and controllable with the filtration/pressure control unit down for airbrushing. Comp, with control valve about a hundred and ten quid Lidl did a similar one. Two weeks later down to fifty quid for last two. They have had them a few times since. Look on their site from time to time. Ask them if they have one available. anywhere .They'll check and let you know. Or ask the local store manager. He can look on the computer. in store. If there is one anywhere they can arrange for it to be brought to the store. Maybe to your home. ASK it's always worth it.

Andy, I've used an Apollo HVLP 1500 system for years and found it really versatile in that you could spray a car with it, but the gun can also be adjusted to deliver a very fine spray. Having said that they are a bit expensive to buy new around £350, but they do turn up on EBAY often second hand and if you take the cost of a conventional compressor plus a quality spray gun into consideration, you could make a good case for buying one. Have a look at the video from about 2.00 mins on to see how the gun can be adjusted.

https://youtu.be/z-KkVsdpmA0

Sorry, the video link didn't work as I expected it to, but take my word for it, you can write your name with it when the pressure and volume is turned down.

Edited By Dai Fledermaus on 29/10/2017 15:37:32

Edited By Dai Fledermaus on 29/10/2017 15:40:32

I bought a proper one from Screwfix some years ago for £60 to replace the old tankless one to which I attached a gas cylinder. It is still kicking about. Got a touch up gun on ebay for £10 and a HK dual action airbrush which I believe is as good as an Iwata. The compressor is ideal for both and you can pump up your car tyres too.

The ones sold for airbrushes are a silly price in comparison and not much use for anything else.

Hi . Get the biggest capacity compressor CFM free air delivery you can store and afford. There's nothing worse than running out of air when finishing a panel / wing etc. The compressors that Aldi and Lidl sell are I think about 7cfm with a 50 liter tank and are fine for small jobs and running air tools for small applications like modelling or small repairs on cars ; they also have auto switch to switch off when tank is full and are portable. I have a large 14 CFM compressor left over from my car repair days and that occassionally ran out of air or couldn't keep up with the tools I was using so capacity does matter. For modelling I use a small gravity fed touch in gun and air brushes. You will as posted earlier need a decent regulator water /oil separator ,these don't cost a vast amount. Check the air requirements of any tools you buy are within the capacity of the compressor you decide on. Beware that a lot of compressor manufacturers claim higher CFM than the compressor can actually achieve.There are many variants about so do your research and buy once. 

Edited By Engine Doctor on 29/10/2017 18:22:01

Hi Andy,
I've been thinking about getting a compressor too. I have no experience of spraying, so don't know if this is up to the job, but at the page below there is a deal for a compressor with a 24l tank, and some tools for just over ?80 which I was considering. I'd be interested to know if those with some more knowledge think it would be good enough for spraying 60 size models

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/air-compressors/sc24h-24-litre-high-flow-air-compressor-tool-kit

Hi Andy and Rob, You can very (quite) easily make one, I can send you loads of details if you are really interested. The essential component is a fridge compressor, which is easily found on a rubbish tip. It is possible to connect it directly to your airbrush, but it pulses a wee bit, which is not too good.

So, you need an air container, such as an old fire extinguisher, or suchlike. You can add a pressure regulator/gauge for a few pounds et voila.

I made and wore away one as described before I could afford a pukka job

ernie

When I was in the working environment some years ago I was under the impression that a fridge or freezer compressor pumped the gas around the system that also carried oil around to lubricate the compressor. So using it as an air compressor may soon wear it out. Also beware of the CFC gas that carries a large bill in the thousands of pounds per pound for release into the air. ( Okay it's only ounces ) . I would be recommending a purpose built compressor that will do the job in hand

Edited By RC Plane Flyer on 30/10/2017 09:10:36

Some great discussions, ideas and thoughts, so thank you all. My thoughts so far:

1. I definitely don't want to go home made on this. Not saying it wont work, but would like a purpose built, reliable and good looking piece of kit that has taken little of my time to acquire. I would rather spend the time building planes or other models.

2. I like the idea of having a larger spray gun to be able to handle sheds, decking and fences. My impression is that as long as I can thin it down I'll be able to run any product through it and not just the water based mainstream products which I don't like (I prefer a good oil based wood preserver - nicer look and longer lasting).

3. However, a larger compressor seems like a lot of overkill to run a small airbrush for small static models and the stuff my daughters are likely to use it for (cake making, nail art, school projects etc).

4. It is also not particularly portable to move around so will be less inclined to take into house.

So, in conclusion, current view is that I need a smaller AS196 type compressor for craft and hobby stuff, and a larger 25ltr HVLP set up for the other stuff including larger war birds etc. Now I have to decide oil or non oil, but would end up a sub £100 piece of kit I expect. Seems the only issue with oil based is a few kilos heavier and the need to change some oil every so often. They do run quieter though.

And of course this could all change again between now and the weekend!