Laser Engines - Technical questions

Jon H

Advert

Ok Guys,

I just mixed 2 gallons of fuel. One looks as I expected it to look and turned purple.... obvious answer is I messed up the mix but I can’t see how. I use a measuring cut marked for the mix. 1 part nitro, 1 part oil, then my methonal.

Have you ever seen this? Maybe some old fuel in the bottom of the jug or in the pump lines? The jug had been fully emptied as far as I knew but may some was left in the lines?

LINKY to see mixes

Unless you’ve seen this before I’m leary of the purple mix. Out she’ll go. I just can’t imagine I messed up the mixing.

Joe

Love the tags Joe. Did you find them online?

(edit, of course he got them online. if you read things they make sense) <-- me arguing with myself. 

As for the fuel, for one to be such a different colour is really odd. I suggest you take out 10ml or so and let it evaporate off and see how much oil is left. If it looks about right and the engine runs ok on it then i would just run with it.

Edited By Jon - Laser Engines on 03/08/2018 08:39:32

Thanks Jon,

I’m really happy with the tags. I got tired of my markings washing off over time and looking a mess.

As for the fuel, I’m going to use the normal pink fuel. I’ll mix another gallon in a fresh jug and see if it’s purple. Don’t know why it would be. Purple doesn’t make sense to me. I got a new shipment of nitro and it’s from a different supplier than before. But both jugs were mixed with the same nitro.

The only thing that’s remotely different Is I used part of a old (couple months) quart of Klotz that was the remaining bit from last mix and a fresh opened quart to fill my measuring cup. I reread the Klotz bottles to confirm I didn’t receive a incorrect quart. No difference.

I’ll mix another batch and compare. While I hate dumping the gallon I’m not going to risk it if I can’t figure this out.

Thanks Jon, I just wasn’t sure if methonal mixes took on different colors sometimes due to things like moisture or something. I know premade glow fuel changes color over time but to have 2 gallons so different and be mixed within 10 minutes of each other kinda stunned me.

I’ll let you know what I find. Seems so simple.... Has to be something I did.

Joe

Hi Jon

To save a phone call please could you post the hight of the top of the silencer facing down to the bottom of the mounting lugs on the 155 .The website shows the Hight with the silencer facing up . A150 will go in the chilton like this but it’s tight

Alan

I have a pair of Laser 70's running 12 x 8 (8 pitch to get it through the noise test) and a bit of a ground clearance issue (keep knocking tips off the blades!) and with the forthcoming mosquito build I was just thinking about 3 bladed props? For the Mossie they will look nice and as long it flies scale I am not after ballistic performance.

Questions

I assume a 11 x 7 or 8 three blade would be okay from a performance point of view?

Are 3 blade props louder/quieter than comparable 2 blades?

Any idea where I can get decent 3 blade ali spinners?

the mossie has long legs so use 13x6 props instead. Also the mossie will be heavier and have a great deal more drag. For this reason you again want 13x6's to give you the thrust you need. If noise is a problem try 13x7.

I wouldn't use 3 blades if I were you. I used one on my 80 in my hurricane and while it was quiet in flight it howled like a banshee on the ground and it really loaded the engine down.

Hey Jon,

Quick update, I put 10ml of my purple fuel in a cup and let it evaporate. 10% left after a couple days. So I put some in the Storch and ran it... No issues. Weird. I'm seeing 7,300rpm on my 22x6.

Only thing I can think of is I had some moisture on the jug somewhere? Not sure. The engine acts fine with it.

I guess I'll think of the purple as my water injection fuel. lol.

Everyone at the field loves the sound of the 300v as I cruise by at 1/4 throttle !

Joe

Any idea when or more to the point IF ANY OF THE LASER ENGINE will be back in stock .I am getting concerned about the long term future for Laser Engines !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please tell me there is nothing to worry about .A modelling world without Laser engine that would be unthinkable .I would have to go electric

Edited By wise owl on 12/08/2018 11:37:29

I don’t think there is cause for concern about the future for Laser engines, their problem is that engines are made, put on the website and within a few weeks they are sold, be patient, a new batch will be along soon. Also bear in mind the effort that is going into producing the petrol versions which hopefully will be with us in the not too distant future (pre release versions are already on test, so it’s close!).

Laser ownership is all about being patient, I started my collection this time last year and am now in double figures, some I’ve been able to get immediately (lucky) others I’ve had to wait for (my 160v was 3 months but boy was it worth it).

Don’t forget that you can no longer order an engine, you can only buy from stock (if in!). This was changed to prevent massive back orders and disgruntled punters! I always take a ‘perverse’ delight in checking the website to see if today is my lucky day. Hey, maybe that’s Jon’s cunning plan to get us to buy more, well it certainly got me!

Wise Owl I saw your other post on this subject on the other Laser thread. I didn't reply as, well to be honest its out of my hands. Once back from his holiday I will show your post to my boss and ask him to reply.

Given up waiting for a Laser 155 ,just ordered a Saito 150B .What is going on at Laser ,it seems they are not interested in selling there engines anymore .You can not place an order ,you can not find out when there engines will be back in stock .I give up ! .Such a shame

Those of us who have followed the Laser saga for some time will detect the frustration in Jon's postings. None of us know what's going on, as most of us are non-business types but merely eager customers, and it just seems odd that an established company with a world wide reputation for quality and customers pounding on the doors to push money in their hands are not being served. What are they scared of?

This is not aimed at Jon of course, but are Laser management just playing at it? It sounds like Jon is chief cook and bottle washer, handling development, production (!), sales, customer service PR on here and goodness knows what else that needs doing. Jon - just be careful crossing the road...........laugh

I don't understand the thinking, Laser should be a large company by now with dozens of employees and thousands of engines being sold world-wide annually - just doesn't seem to be happening. With the exchange rate being in favour of exporters at the moment, I'd have thought a serious assault on the US market by Laser, given the good reports of the petrol engine developments would be a top priority - maybe it is, it just doesn't seem that way.

None of us want to see another Solarfilm debacle.

No I am not blaming Jon ,I really feel for him he seems to be the piggy in the middle and must be so frustrated at what is happening even more frustrating then I feel .What is Neil up to ,he has a ,to me the best four stroke engine out there by far but there are also other manufactures out there I am not prepared to wait around not knowing what is happening with he's engines .I need an engine now if I knew when they would be available again I would wait but there is no sign as to what is happening at Laser .So I have gone for a Saito 150b ,Just hope it is has good has a Laser but I was left with no choice .I hope for Jon sake every thing is going to be OK but I am not so sure !!!!!!!!!

I do find it a little strange that on the 12th Wise Owl stated that he would sit tight and monitor the Laser website, then 2 day’s later a Saito is purchased! If I remember correctly, there were 155 Laser engines on the website less than 4vweeks ago, so it’s not as if there haven’t been any for months and months!

Notwithstanding the above, the situation with the supply of Laser engines has been no different for more or less the last year, several are produced, they are put onto their Website and they are sold. I know that it can be frustrating, as I said previously, I had to wait 3 months to get a 160v and was nearly on the point of going elsewhere but didn’t and have no regrets waiting for that period. You may not like it but getting a Laser can be a waiting game, Jon certainly doesn’t like it but his hands are tied by his management, something he has been at pains to explain several times over so we are really covering the same old ground again.

It has been cited by others that it’s a bit like wanting a Morgan car (or to a lesser extent a Norton motorcycle) most of the time you can’t get then off the shelf (although I do admit that you can order one but the wait is a darn site longer than that for a Laser). If you can’t wait then go out and buy something that will ‘do the job’.

I should add that I’m not employed by Laser in any way, shape or form but have learned to live with the ‘peculiar’ production cycle.

Can I point out that the thread title is Technical Questions. That to me is how to run the things. If in future I have to wade through the irrelevant garbage to find a kernel of knowledge, I will be annoyed.

I have pre-cons for extracting vengeance.