Laser Engines - Technical questions

Jon H

It says a lot when the customer base is begging a supplier to raise their prices 🤣

A 150/155 in a Wot 4 XL is a perfect combo, I've seen several and a 180 would probably be too heavy and unnecessarily overpowered (yes there IS such a concept)

Anyway, I'm off to Old Warden to Chuck a gallon of reduced oil fuel through the snorting carbs of a 360v ... Yeahhhhhhhh

Ron, I have to disagree as I can’t see new people jumping from foam ARTF’s to +80 size (up to 360) as being either successful or sustainable. As the Warbirds Replicas thread demonstrated once positively and secondly negatively there are far more people interested in buying smaller kits than larger ones. Manufactures need to sell volume to make the R&D worth while. You might have noticed that some of the ARTF kits now built are specifically for electric as opposed to historically for IC with an electric option, this in my opinion results in models that will not withstand the riggers of IC power plants. If people are going to the effort of building a WR model then its not difficult to build additional (if needed) strength in for the engine.

Low oil content fuel helps the justification, low noise more so and I’ll leave the what’s cheaper debate to those that just like to argue.

Chris, I don’t think we are in disagreement, there always has been the minority who go for larger ‘planes and that is where the IC will still rule (yes I know that leccy can be used). It is the smaller sizes, such as the WR ones where leccy will be the powertrain of choice and largely determined by the end users not the manufacturers. And regarding the larger ‘planes, I recently spoke to Bigplanes on another matter but asked them about their sales of larger ‘planes, their answer was that the demand hadn’t diminished and they had increased their supply of larger IC engines to meet the demand!

Looking at my fellow flyers I don’t see many, if at all any who have gone up the sizes of planes as their experience has improved, it has been trainer then into the big beast straight away because that’s what their intention was from day 1 or from trainer onto smaller / mid range because they have no desire to go large. I admit to falling into the former category but also encompass the latter as well!

Maybe wires have crossed between us Chris but I think we do agree!

Posted by Gary Spicer 1 on 25/06/2020 12:11:48:

My Xrta Wot will have a Laser 155, your build Ron is a great help. Hopefully we can fly them together at Knettishall one day in the futuresmiley

That would be good Gary, I'm allowed back up there from the 6th July so plan is for Xtra Wot to be more or less finished this weekend as I want to get on with the BF110 build!

The conversation about how powerplants are segmented across classes of model has been done to death and is a bit beyond the scope of the conversation as related to Laser production.

The reason these smaller engines are no longer produced by us is that the cost of manufacture is such that the finished engine will be too expensive to fit into that section of the market. As has already been pointed out, OS prices are out of this world and i cant imagine they are selling many engines at those prices. Their solution? bring out an engine that is cheaper to manufacture (bushes not ball races, plastic rocker covers, simple carbs etc) and that is what they did with the V series. They are not bad engines, just cheaper. However, £260 is still too much for a 60fs.

In any event, the fate of the 70 is not yet sealed and it, like the 120, has been on the brink for decades. Just as we decide to pull the plug they start selling like hotcakes. There is no plan, just thinking out loud.

So dont get in a flap and dont panic buy one as all you will do is screw up my ability to keep things going. Right now plenty of 70's are in stock and i can build plenty more. But 180's and 360s are gone so they are the focus. Then i need more 100's, perhaps bring the 300 back etc. If i spend the next 2 months building 70's because everyone lost their minds that all falls flat on its face.

A new design 50 is never going to happen. If i have R&D time its going to go elsewhere. I already have one new engine on the go with 3 more derived from the same design in the pipeline. There is also my dreams of a radial, a gearbox for big props and quiet operation, not to mention the petrol engine. All of these things are of greater interest to me and, crucially, more likely to make money which is ultimately the thing we need most.

So, if we could call it quits at this point and get back to technical problems that would be great

Edited By Jon - Laser Engines on 25/06/2020 14:00:04

"I already have one new engine on the go with 3 more derived from the same design in the pipeline."

Hold the phone - what new engine is this?

The petrol, what remains to be done before you can sell it?

Sorry if these have already been covered on this thread.

Posted by Nigel R on 26/06/2020 10:03:26:

"I already have one new engine on the go with 3 more derived from the same design in the pipeline."

Hold the phone - what new engine is this?

The petrol, what remains to be done before you can sell it?

Sorry if these have already been covered on this thread.

Its very new and most exciting If you are good i will post a photo.

Petrol, need to build more and fly the conrods off them. We have a reliability concern regarding one component but need more info/testing to see if those concerns are justified. That was the whole point of the pre production batch of engines. If all 10 of the pre production engines had been hammered for a year we would have much more data than just me flying my prototype in a gentle floaty biplane. Alas, it didnt work out that way.

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 26/06/2020 15:44:51:

Why bid before the last few seconds, it just pushes up the price?

I know someone who uses something called sniper to bid in the last few seconds. I've never wanted anything so badly. If my bid wins fine, if not, c'est la vie!

• 2 weeks later...

When bolting engines to wooden engine bearers I usually use high tensile steel socket bolts ( Allen bolts,) into captive nuts.

I am fitting a Laser 80 to the DB Sport & Scale Auster. I don't think I have sufficient high tensile socket bolts for the job but I have plenty of stainless steel socket bolts. Could they be used or would I be better off buying the high tensile variety?