Laser Engines - Technical questions

Jon H

On 26/08/2023 at 11:05, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Here we go again,🤢 another Laser engine owner looking for what he has just got hold of, this time on fb, It would be nice if Laser engines addressed this problem of identifying their engines, a page on their official site with the dimensions and weight of their engine's would stop this never ending list of 'what is it ?' might stop.🤢

Agreed . Why not just stamp date of manufacture and size on the lugs as owners initials used to be stamped.

• Like 1

Oh what a good idea, just need the flux capacitor charged up, a time travel device and the will to go back are re-stamp them all. Oh and of course the inability to phone Jon and ask him as that would get both the engine size and whether parts are available or not.

What I don't understand is why the incessant bickering about Laser, I don't see any other manufacturers on the forum and TBH if I made engines I won't bother posting anything.  

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Engine Doctor said:

Why not just stamp date of manufacture and size on the lugs as owners initials used to be stamped.

This is exactly what i have done since 2012 and (when i remember) i even stamp the size on older engines that come back for repair so they have the size on them going forward. This ground was covered a few posts back, but i guess you didnt read it. 

This size stamping problem is historic and applies to engines from 1982-2012. As i was born in 1985 and didnt start at Laser until 2011 I do not know what else i can be expected to do about this very historic issue. I simply do not have time to go beating the trees looking for Laser engines without their size stamped on them. Believe me, the inconvenience of this very short sighted historic policy is far more annoying for me than it is for anyone else so if everyone could do me a favour and stop whinging about it, that would be fantastic. 

If you have a mystery engine send me one photo showing a front 3/4 view just like the photos on the website. Remember, one photo, just one, not the 35 8mb files spread over 3 emails that i normally get as that will overload the web server for our email and knock the whole system offline without even delivering your message. This leads to an irate phone call a week later complaining that i didnt reply to a message a never got and this, as you can imagine, does little to enhance my day. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

This is exactly what i have done since 2012 and (when i remember) i even stamp the size on older engines that come back for repair so they have the size on them going forward. This ground was covered a few posts back, but i guess you didnt read it. 

This size stamping problem is historic and applies to engines from 1982-2012. As i was born in 1985 and didnt start at Laser until 2011 I do not know what else i can be expected to do about this very historic issue. I simply do not have time to go beating the trees looking for Laser engines without their size stamped on them. Believe me, the inconvenience of this very short sighted historic policy is far more annoying for me than it is for anyone else so if everyone could do me a favour and stop whinging about it, that would be fantastic. 

If you have a mystery engine send me one photo showing a front 3/4 view just like the photos on the website. Remember, one photo, just one, not the 35 8mb files spread over 3 emails that i normally get as that will overload the web server for our email and knock the whole system offline without even delivering your message. This leads to an irate phone call a week later complaining that i didnt reply to a message a never got and this, as you canh8 J9n  imagine, does little to Hi

Hi Jon . As I only ever get older (plug at front ) engines for repair I was unaware that you stamp size etc on the c case of newer models hence my post . No I never read 5he earlier post but picked up on PD 's post who obviously never read it either. So why the regular requests etc about size ? Surely  owners of later models are aware of this?

No need to start up the time machine or charge the flux capacitor . 

• 2 weeks later...

Just come back from Buckminster 

Really enjoyed the day .After watching these lovely models I really fancy the Seagull Neiuport .My question is would the Laser 180 be a suitable engine for this model or would it be to big and to heavy for this model 

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Glenn Ryan said:

I can't help but notice that the Laser Engines website is not working. I hope all is ok with Laser Engines.

I noticed that yesterday.

I have just fitted an old Laser 75 into a World Models Super Frontier Senior  which I picked up for £40 when I was in England a few weeks ago. I realise that the 75 is no longer made but I wanted to see what prop sizes were recommended for the 70 and 80 and to select a propeller from those recommended for those two engines. Having not been able to get the information from Laser Engines' website, I resorted to Facebook where a 13x6 was recommended but I found out that a 75 will also swing a 14x6 without a problem. This is fortunate as I do not have a 13x6 in my stash of props but I have several 14x6s.

Currently on holiday so rapid fire answers. 

180 a bit big for the nieuport

Website down, no idea why. i will look into it when i get back

75's can run 15x6 without issue. For the model in question 14 or 15x6 would suffice. 

8 hours ago, EGB 953 said:

What’s the best prop size for a laser 70? Am planning to run it in the BH chipmunk. 

APC 12.5x6 is what I like best for sport aerobatics. A 13x6 is good. Best to do some flight testing. I did fly a 12x6 for a while. If you want faster a 12x8 will work. 

• Like 1

On 29/09/2023 at 10:58, Artto Ilmanen said:

Hi Jon,

I hope you have a nice holiday - may I ask you when you are back at work? I just hope to get my 300v back from your excellent maintenance 🙂 btw, I just got a notification that my 150s have arrived at local post office.

yes i am back at the coal face now. 

21 hours ago, EGB 953 said:

What’s the best prop size for a laser 70? Am planning to run it in the BH chipmunk. 

The other guys have it covered, 13x6 would be my recommendation. Just remember to lower the fuel tank to the fuselage floor. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

yes i am back at the coal face now. 

The other guys have it covered, 13x6 would be my recommendation. Just remember to lower the fuel tank to the fuselage floor. 

Thanks! much appreciated. yes on Tank placement, I will need to do some minor surgery to sort that.

27 minutes ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

No luck sorting the website?

No its apparently been taken down by our host due to malicious activity. It seems someone with nothing better to do infested it with malware. As that is not something i can fix it is going to remain busted for a while. 

So,

I bought a Laser 70 in an Acrowot from another flyer at our club - he is a good modeller and pretty meticulous. Anyway having left it a bit for various reasons, got it out and flying around a month ago, with this chap's guidance and help. he helped me tune it and it has been running like a dream.  Up to yesterday has around 10 flights of around 5 minutes each with it.

Yesterday started up first time, ran her up to full power for a few seconds then throttled back and checked transition - all good. Took off (full power) then throttled back to around 50-60% and flying around just some wide circuits nothing odd. all of a sudden a mild "pop" sound and engine is dead, dead stick back to runway - luckily no damage.

Now the first odd thing is the prop was lose with nut and washer rattling in the spinner.

Took the cowling off and engine out. Front off showed the con-rod has snapped right at the bottom where it connect to drive shaft (is that the right term). As far as I recall from my poor knowledge. of engines, con-rods only snap due to over revs or heating (too lean). M y suspicion is likeliest cause is prop not not tight enough, come loose and engine then over revs, but not completely sure. Hard to believe over heating as at medium revs and well tuned.

Anyway I attach an image. 

So my questions:

How do I get a new con-rod (Laser site is offline and I dont have number)

it looks easy to replace but are there any key steps top include/avoid

Do I need any special tools (I dont think so - the design of the engine looks very clear)

How do i avoid in future?

Your collective expert thoughts very welcome.

Many thanks in advance.

IMG_3440.jpg

Its seized on the crank pin for some reason. If the engine was left for a long period and any rust got on the pin it can cause this issue. Castor blocking the oil hole is another common cause, although that looks unlikely in this case given the clean rod. 

A new rod is easy, the crank pin will need dressing though to get all the bronze off it. I would recommend you return the engine for inspection and service. 

just for info, what fuel were you running and which prop?

Also, examination of your profile pic suggests we fly at the same club...

Edited by Jon - Laser Engines