Lidl Sander

Andy48

An easy way to shift a worn disc is to peel an edge then trickle a small amount of thinner behind it .The. Bau universal is ideal This softens the adhesive and allows easy removal.Remaining adhesive can if required be removed by rubbing with a cloth dampened with thinners.

Have to say thanks to you all for the heads up on this one. I snuck off work and got one yesterday. Plenty at the Gap RD Wimbledon branch. It looks very good.for the price. No more excuses now to get building.

I also got the jiggly cut into the corners thingy (general purpose cutter sander?) which looks great. With a fine blade it should have model building applications too. I was thinking perhaps for removing a skew fin perhaps. surprise

Here's another top tip for this device.

If like me you use a Dyson vacuum cleaner, you'll find that the vacuum cleaner attachment for the sander doesn't fit... it comes with a 2 stage adaptor, but neither stage will fit either of my Dysons...

This is very easily fixed, with a short offcut of 32mm plastic waste pipe, as illustrated below! I now have a very strong connection between vacuum cleaner and sander.

dsc_2237.jpg

Posted by i12fly on 09/02/2018 00:32:08:

Well Geoff thank you for leaving one for me. I couldn't get to Ripley until 5.30.... laugh

There were just 3 left after I got one.

I was tempted by the '20V' lithium battery drills at £16 but I'd forgotten to recharge my wallet before going crying

You're welcome

I did think about the detail sander but only briefly. However, Avice is off swimming right now but she threatened to go to Lidl afterwards and buy one for herself - which means I'll have one too

Geoff

The nut on my sander had more than come loose. Taking the sander apart. There was no sign of a nut, as if it was never there.

That note of just 4 self tappers provide, the confidence to take it apart. It is so easy, in that the internals are so very well arranged, in a motor, and one board.

I did contemplate taking it back, considering the time, etc. I decided I would first try a hex nut. I thought it was either a M5 or 6. It appeared to be neither. Whereas a 0BA brass thin nut seems perfect. The only issue is that it was slightly wider than the slot into which it is meant to be located. A few minutes with a file had a good transition/slight interference fit. Which is great, as it will not just drop out of the slot.

I tried the sander, and found that it is turbine smooth. Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd been tempted by this item anyway, but the favourable opinions here persuaded me so I bought one Wednesday night - best time to be sure of picking up the Thursday special offers, shortly before they close the night before, with everything out on display already.

Haven't tried it yet, but forgive me if this has already been asked: what's the best source of 115mm sanding discs in various grades, preferably self-adhesive? Those supplied are too coarse for my purposes, and I'd like discs from 400 to 1200 grit.

Also picked up a couple of Lidl's garage/workshop large hooks etc for my new project of making the garage a vastly more comfortable and well-organised workshop (half the price of similar at B&Q or on Amazon); plus a couple of their LED ceiling lights, £36 the two compared with the £50 fluorescent I had planned to get from B&Q.

rgds Tony

Scroll saws (mechanical fret saws) were reduced to £59.99 in our local Aldi (Belper) from the £69.99 I paid for mine a few weeks earlier. I'm not too upset. I'm very happy with what mine cost.

Meanwhile my wife and I made a joint trip to Lidl this afternoon and she bought a hand sander to rub down paintwork (I think it's a big big for our use building models). There were still 3 rotary sanders in stock.

Geoff

Hi,

I have been keeping my eye on this one and as others on here have given it a good thumbs up.

I decided to get one as well.

sander.jpg

Its a big improvement on my existing one which i got for free.

I got the last one, and then i noticed a gent looking at me and my Sander and it was my neighbor that lives at the back of me.

I guess i beat him to the last one, Oh well 1st come as they say.

Steve. smiley

Edited By Stephen Jones on 10/02/2018 16:49:18

Mine had the loose nut so when I removed the bolt and table it dropped inside. It really was very loose. It was easy enough to remove the cover, only thing was I couldn't find the nut angry 2

Thought it must have attached itself to a magnet inside the motor, so spent 20 mins trying to see it with a torch and a mirror. Couldn't see it so decided to put it all to one side until later.

Doh the nut was sitting on my bench underneath the unit blush

To avoid any risk of losing it what I suggest is stand the sander in its normal operating position

1. Remove the hex bolt and slide off the table -do not tip the sander up after removing the bolt.
  2. Screw in a short bolt back into the nut so it cannot drop out of the retaining slot inside
  3. Only then turn the sander in its back and remove the 4 screws that hold it together
  4. Holding it all together turn the whole unit back the right way and remove the green top half
  5. You can then get to apply a bit of glue to the nut/retaining slot

It really is simple to do.