Lidl Sander

Andy48

Advert

You can also get Gorilla Wood Glue that is white and dries a natural colour. is water resistant and for a litre bottle, it only costs £12.50 with free delivery. It has the same glueing power as the brown Gorilla glue and seems to be a better deal.

You can view the product at,
gardenersdreamuk (163526 Feedback score: 163526

Worth a punt in my opinion, have got some on order!!! A 1 litre bottle for £12.50. Comes from Glasgow!!!

Posted by Handyman on 13/02/2018 11:58:59:

You can also get Gorilla Wood Glue that is white and dries a natural colour. is water resistant and for a litre bottle, it only costs £12.50 with free delivery. It has the same glueing power as the brown Gorilla glue and seems to be a better deal.

Worth a punt in my opinion, have got some on order!!! A 1 litre bottle for £12.50. Comes from Glasgow!!!

I use that all the time it's good stuff

Interestingly I notice the 'captive' nut on my sander in actually captive - I can see it moving around as I rotate the sander. I have not turned it completely upside down though, just in case!

Tried it out on a couple of built up balsa wings (Bambino) to tidy up the ends. Wow! perfect job. Next I need to make up a suitable spacer so that I can machine the tapers on the ends of my wooden arrows for the Piles and Knocks.

Nige

Posted by Handyman on 13/02/2018 11:58:59:

They are different types of Glue. The Wood glue appears to be aliphatic, The brown glue is a foaming polyurathane type adhesive.

Both are very good and have their (different) uses in the shed.

Martyn

Posted by supertigrefan on 14/02/2018 23:22:09:

Posted by Tony Harrison 2 on 09/02/2018 15:09:36:

Haven't tried it yet, but forgive me if this has already been asked: what's the best source of 115mm sanding discs in various grades, preferably self-adhesive? Those supplied are too coarse for my purposes, and I'd like discs from 400 to 1200 grit.

I think I am going to face the wheel with fine Velcro so I can use the hook and loop ones used for car body work.

Hi

Interesting, is there space for this? I think it would be a handy idea as I already have 125mm Velcro discs for my orbital sander. Where can you get the right size Velcro to enable an even disc to be cut so as to avoid balance issues on the shaft?

S

Posted by Stuart Z on 15/02/2018 08:54:04:

Interesting, is there space for this? I think it would be a handy idea as I already have 125mm Velcro discs for my orbital sander. Where can you get the right size Velcro to enable an even disc to be cut so as to avoid balance issues on the shaft?

S

I've come across the Velcro system, but wouldn't it create a degree of squashiness? I'd want the disc to be rock solid, for clean squared-off sanded surfaces. A quick search on Ebay uncovered 125mm self-adhesive discs for sale, 400 grit, £4.89 for ten - that would do for a start though I'd like very fine grit too.

rgds Tony

• 5 months later...

To my surprise, whilst wandering in Lidl this morning to buy one of these: https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offers.htm?articleId=15055 (for hard skin, but which look good for modelling purposes) I came across 6, yes SIX, of the disc sanders. They were marked down from the original £30 to £24.99! Needless to say, I grabbed one, in spite of my wife being beside me.

When they were in stock in February, I purchased one. A few days later I thought that having 2 would be a good idea, sitting side-by-side in the modelling shed. One could have a coarse grit, the other a fine grit. This would save me the hassle of swapping over the sticky-backed paper disks. Naturally, when I went back in to the store they were GONE. Blast . . .

I had thought about a hook & loop system, but always held back and kept an eye on the Lidl website for a repeat offering, but without any joy. As far as I am aware, the disc sander re-stock has come out of the blue, so I am a very happy old man indeed.

Next must-have.  A scroll saw.

Edited By John Robertson 3 on 02/08/2018 13:22:32

John

I purchased one of the Lidl disc sanders, I was uncertain, although at the price, not going to be a big mistake, I thought.

It has been a very useful purchase, to date I have used far, far more than i ever thought, or imagined.

As a tool absolutely fantastic, providing a level of finish I never thought was possible by me. I use a lot of sanding blocks with Aluminum Oxide paper stuck on. I obtained OK finishes, almost acceptable accuracy. The sander, allows me to achieve a level of accuracy undreamed of. You just concentrate, watch, check, adjust, as you go along. The motor skills required when manually sanding, of keeping flat, controlling the orientation of the moving block and all the subsequent unwanted deviations are banished. The finish, is of retail type quality.

Just like a (Lidl) Lipo screwdriver/drill flagged up on this site, unbelievable quality, particularly at the price.

• 2 months later...

An old thread, but a useful one: it confirmed my interest in this item so I got one. It's proved a good tool, but I experienced the same problem some others have, with that "captive" nut not being quite captive enough... I followed the advice, dismantled the thing, and epoxied the nut in place. But I'm not sure anyone offered a source for replacement self-adhesive 115mm (?) discs: I've looked on Ebay and elsewhere, but although there are discs around, none of them is in the fine grade (like 400 or finer) I want. Any suggestions..?

Thanks, Tony

Tony, I don't think anyone does finer than IRO 240 grit. These sort of machines are not REALY degined for jobs at the fine grades you quote. In old fahioned trades, they used to use a buffing wheel, with cutting pastes, for fine finishes, but not much use in this hobby.