Unrecognisable ARTFs - new paint jobs!

I thought it might be a nice idea to start a thread on repainting ARTFs and RTFs.

Not having a huge amount of time for building at the moment, and no crash damage to repair this winter, I turned my hand to refreshing some of my ARTF models with a new paint job. I started with my current favourite winter hack - the HobbyKing Skipper. I don't fly it from water, but it certainly handles boggy fields and long wet grass - in fact the boggier the better!

It seems to me that aeromodellers don't tend to merge scale with 'what-if's in quite the same way that, say, railway or boat modellers do. I'm not sure why, but this is my thought process.

p2170157.jpg

In RAF red, the model is vaguely reminiscent (to me, when high up, anyway) of the Avro 707. Not so much 'stand-off scale', but 'standing-on-the-ground-when-the-model-is-at-100-feet' scale. When delta wings emerged on the drawing board, the characteristics of such aircraft were not well known at the time. The 707 was experimental, and built to test the tailless thick delta wing configuration chosen for the Vulcan (aerodynamically, it was a one third scale version). Suppose the tests had been unsuccessful, and a subsequent version with a conventional tail added had been built. What would it have looked like?

p2170154.jpg

Okay, okay, probably not too much like this, I know. But for the sake of a couple of evening's work, I quite like the result!

p2170156.jpg

p2170149.jpg

p2170148.jpg

Anyone else?

Advert

Had a vaguely similar idea but it’s not as good looking as Wright Stuffs! Used acrylic Silver & black paint and a tester pot of decorating matt paint for the blue covered in acrylic varnish. The supplied HK stick on decals were rubbish. I also used some left over chequer decals from a Wots Wot foamie, assorted decals from the spares box and a very cut down pilot figure.HK Skipper XL 3-4S

Edited By Jon Laughton on 20/02/2018 00:49:55

Posted by stu knowles on 19/02/2018 18:35:37:

looks very nice, What paint did you use?

Thanks Stu.

I used Humbrol Enamel - #19 (basically Post Office Red) - it's almost but not quite the same shade as Red Arrows red. I happened to have a big tin of it left over from my boat modelling days. I brushed on the paint, and used the thin Tamiya masking tape for the canopy.

I then sprayed the whole thing with satin varnish after the stickers [thanks to Pyramid Models] were on... I'm very happy with the finish...

Great idea for a thread TWS, loving those Skippers. I have a Skipper and a Polaris Ultra and have endless fun with them.

I do have a bit of form for this sort of malarkey, but don't want to bomb the tread, so I will just do some dribs and drabs.

Here's an ARF X-8 FPV wing that got the treatment.

bv10.jpg

bv12.jpg

bv13.jpg

95% of the model was sourced from HobbyKing (I have no shame) and it turned out to be an awesome flyer and a great slope soarer.

Somewhat unexpectedly, it also turned out to be a bit of a chick magnet down at the parkcheeky

jess b&v (3).jpg

Looking forward to seeing some others' efforts in customizing their ARF's.

Back in the day the Parkzone Stryker was quite a hit and many newcomers to RC flying cut their teeth on Strykers as they were easy enough to control and tough as old boots. I would love to know how many Parkzone sold - must be in the tens of thousands (I have had four) and guys did all sorts of mods to them. Two upgraded ARF versions were also produced incorporating some of the mods done by modelers.

I started with the stock model (brushed motor and Ni-Mh battery) in 2006 and then progressed to custom builds and paint jobs.

Indoor model with 3mm depron fins and 6mm depron elevons.

indoor.jpg

"Su-27 Flanker" - strengthened airframe, cut down fins and balsa elevons.

su 27 1.jpg

"Vulcan" - don't laugh, at that time there were no Vulcan ARF's around (still the case actually, why is that?) so one had to make do.

vulcan.jpg

Very versatile airframe and can be powered up (with 6S and glassing) to do around 150mph.

Edited By KiwiKid on 22/02/2018 12:09:06

Here's my HK Mk1 Vampire; much loved, had countless flights, undercarriage removed for handlaunch. But after very many flights most of the silver paint had worn off. Then in this winter's cold weather the battery died 90 seconds early on the timer . I was already on short finals as I expected the cold to shorten the duration. Unfortunately our field is bounded on two sides by a river...

Model was retrieved with only minor damage, all the electrics were washed in clean water and dried out thoroughly - and everything still works. So given the now rather tatty original paintwork, that seemed like a good excuse for a new paint job and some new decals courtesy of my Silhouette cutter. Paint is B&Q sample pots, whole thing then sprayed in a lacquer sealing coat.

dsc_2139.jpg

Simon

Posted by Trevor Crook on 22/02/2018 20:07:29:

Some great paint jobs and mods above. Goes to show that an ARTF doesn't have to mean no modelling.

Absolutely, Trevor. That's the main reason I started this thread. I'd love to have the time for a full on plan build, but "family reasons" don't currently allow it. This sort of work keeps projects possible and sanity intact!

I'll look out for the finished Saunders Roe SR53...

One of my local hobby shops used to specialize in slope soarers and produced a very nice sloper called the Arrow.

prototype.jpg

I thought it looked like something from the drawing board of Alexander Lippisch, so set to with a conversion into a Luftwaffe Pfeil.

decals4.jpg
decals5.jpg

Really a nice flier and something a bit different for the slope.

decals6.jpg

• 2 years later...

With all the building time recently available I wonder if we have some more material for this thread. A while back I bashed a flying wing into a sort of late WW2 project type thing and have had a lot of fun flying it - also makes a great sloper with the folding prop.

gal 60a.jpg

gal 60b.jpg

gal 60d.jpg

Edited By KiwiKid on 24/05/2020 13:23:42

This is my Blackhorse HE111,

After its second crash and having smashed the plastic nose for a second time I decided not to fork out another 50 quid just for a bit of Perspex, so I carved a solid nose from foam and grafted it on. Repainted in a Mediterranean scheme with painted windows I think it looks ok .It still flies nicely.

img_0241.jpg

img_0242.jpg