Spring 2018 is here...been flying?

cymaz

Advert

A wonderfull flying day in the Shifnal area of the Midlands yesterday, we have a lovely field we fly off but it has an open location , so it can be windy, but yesterday was perfect, as happens sometimes you get perfect days and fewer than normal flyers, I maidened my Cyril Carr ME163 jet, perfect for a maiden, flew my H.K. Hawk which is covered in red film covering, has a chain-sun 10 blade fan with cyclone motor, as near to turbine sound as you will get, also flew my Scottish Aviation Bulldog and lastly my H.K. Sbach, so 6 hours of total enjoyment, plenty of banter and no prangs thats what I call a good day.

Similar at our field, beautiful day and only half a dozen turned out. That suited me as it was my first flight after what seemed like eternal winter. Wot 4 and Easystreet to ease myself back into things. Just as well as I was having problems with judging distances on landing and got 3 landings right on the far edge of the strip. The right end of the strip, just the wrong side. New prescription sunglasses? Sounds a good enough excuse to me wink

Flew the YAK3 today, the plane flew perfectly, even though one eflite retract didn't retract fully and the other stuck up. Landed ok, scale belly landing. No damage but have issues...

Also flew the SBD Dauntless, which again flew well. It dead-sticked on the first flight, but glided like a glider and landed slower than a Wot4. Engine was a little too rich, which killed the plug. A leaner next flight and a perfect landing this time.

The Yak 54 60cc didn't play ball. engine ran ok, but sheared the soft bolts, so need to get the stubs out now...

Lovely day at Ashbourne today with 2 maidens. My DB Gypsy Moth (see members new models for details) and a clb mates 50cc size Seagull Hurricane on 12s electric. Had a bit of trouble with a faulty flap servo otherwise a second flight might have resulted:

pict0116.jpg

pict0124.jpg

Here's to few more good days this year.

Geoff

Hi,

I went out early this morning to enjoy this nice weather

I managed to fly two indoor models outside and my usual hack my Mk3 Sipa.

I was the 1st there but it was not long before more attended.

You know you have had a good time when you have used up all you're batteries and none of you're models are in kit form.

Steve smiley

The weather was also glorious in central France yesterday but as I had guests staying I couldn't stay long at the flying field. I flew my vintage Junior 60. The first flight was rather short as I had misread the battery charge and I soon ran out of electricity but on the second flight with a fully charged LiPo I hit a real brick-lifter of a thermal and I flew for over fifteen minutes. Gliders are very popular at my club, whether powered by electric motors or not, and there were three tugs at the field to tow the genuine gliders up, but at one stage my little Old Timer was higher than all of the gliders and so small that I had difficulty with orientation!

It's hardly streamlined and it weighs 4.75lbs, (2.15kgs) but it was a memorable flight!

j60 electrified (3).jpg

Went flying yesterday blue skies warm and a light wind, perfect weather. Then the gremlins went to work. First I set up my Flair Patriot, which I has flown previously just changed TX, took half an hour just to set up the controls and throttle, then the engine played up. My son was looking bored so I set up his Cub, this usually flies great and perfect weather for it, took three attempts to take off, the ground was rather soggy, when it did it did a hard right and cartwheeled in, so we were not happy with that.

I did manage a good flight with my Chipmunk with a good landing.

Tried the Patriot again and it handled like a pig so landed early, need to re-check to control throws and expo.

Had another flight with the Chipmunk and went dead stick and I tried to stretch the landing and managed to fully stall her, she dropped a wing and I managed to pull her out almost when she arrived, very little damage.

I was going to fly my Cessna Skylane but a wing bolt was missing so I let it be. On getting home, found the wing bolt on the floor of my van despite looking for it. Perhaps it was devine intervention looking at the day. At least it is in one piece.

So some repairs to do and try again next time and hope I leave the gremlins at home.

Went to the field to maiden my Veron Robot built from a Belair part kit ready for the club retro day. Did a test glide as we used to in the 60's and broke the prop!! Borrowed a prop and ran the engine up to get it tuned (OS15 not run for many years) and after a bit of tuning and cuts managed to snap the plastic throttle lever as my hand caught it when flicking the prop. As I had no other models with me I was sidelined and spent time watching others enjoying the lovely weather. My first time out flying since last October. Isn't life wonderful?

John

Slowly working through my 'alternative' planes so it was the turn of my Depron Bachen Ba 349 Natter.

Complete rebuild 2

Despite its 'ridiculous' air frame it flies remarkably well on its 6x4 pusher.

Loops are easy but the roll is slow as with no ailerons is only has the elevons on the short span tail plane.

Now quite old for a plane built from 3 mm sheet Depron sheet. It was first flown in June 2011.wink 2

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 07/05/2018 17:10:31

I went slope soaring today. Just me, my Wild Thing and Phase 6 and a couple of passing walkers. It was great and I flew for over an hour and a half of the two hours I spent on the hill, but, as a flat field flier primarily, I really do struggle with hilltop landings. In attempting to get the Wild Thing down somewhere reasonably close I managed to fly it straight into my right hand. And I don't mean I caught it, that just happened to be the bit of me it hit. Luckily it was just bobbling about in a sort of a loosely controlled hover at the time, so no damage done, but honestly, I've watched Speedster Den's videos and it looks easy. Must try harder.

John.

Perfect day for me yesterday, low 20s and a light breeze. Tuesday is Old Farts day at the club so there tends to be more talking than there is flying and yesterday was no exception, it being the first chance some have had to catch up on winter happenings.

I took my Flair Se5a out, only two flights but considering the blustery air low down on approach the second landing was so good that I didn't want to spoil my mood by flying again and not being able to match that one. So I went window shopping new cars instead.