Newbie Builder

TJ Alexander

Dipping my toe in the water of building, but limited budget, space, and skills. I've made a simple balsa kit, and I managed (just!) not to glue my fingers together, so now I fancy moving up.

So...recommendations for a simple kit for a klutz to build, that's satisfying and easy to fly. Preferably EP or EP convertible.

What do the panel recommend? All suggestions gratefully received.

Advert

Something like a Tomboy is a great build. You can purchase short kits(all the complicated bits pre-cut you just supply the long bits from LMS) from ebay or purchase the kit from a well known supplier or go the whole 9 yards and buy a plan and a stack af balsa and go for the full plan build experience.

Thanks for these suggestions.

I'm not ready for a plan build, and I'm still a wee bit wary of short kits because of lack of knowledge/experience.

I'm not necessarily that fussed about the format of the model, but I only have six channels on my TX. I'd be happy with a 3-ch for starters. I have a penchant for gliders, but I quite like flying the Sig Seniorita in RealFlight 7.5, and something of that nature would be good.

I know I've posted this in Traditional Kits, but I am open to suggestions from a wider arena. I just felt this might be the best place to get advice.

Westwings is a name I've had recommended, and their kits do look well thought out. DB is a new name for me, but I will check it out.

I've seen the Cambria Funfighters on this forum recently, but hadn't realised that they might be a simple build.

Plenty of food for thought.

One of the simplest models to build yet with a really useful flight capability is the Limbo Dancer from SLEC. Kit is available for electric or glow. Very straightforward build with few parts, yet a good size model ( i.e. easy to see)

Or the SLEC Fun Flyer is a good model.

Kit building is not as cheap as building from plans though!

I’m a novice builder TJ and just completing a Warbird Replicas Spitfire kit. It is a comprehensive kit and builds into a beautiful model with a minimum of fuss. There are a few threads on this forum detailing the build to a very high standard. I’m not sure Richard Wills (of Warbird Replicas) is still trading but last I heard he had some Spitfire kits still available. May be worth emailing him through the WR website if you are interested in a scale build.

Posted by TJ Alexander on 15/03/2018 15:11:21:
...recommendations for a simple kit for a klutz to build, that's satisfying and easy to fly...
...3-chan...
...Sig Seniorita on RealFlight...

Posted by Nigel R on 15/03/2018 16:10:51:

Tony Nijhuis' Sky 40 by SLEC.

**LINK**

Pre-rolled electric power train here:

**LINK**

From what you indicate about your flying experience, I'd second Nigel's suggestion for the Sky 40... or something very similar like the DB Sport & Scale Mascot **LINK** also with a pre-rolled electric setup **LINK**

Building is hugely satisfying but time-consuming, and you don't want to invest all that time and energy in something that you won't enjoy flying - or could simply crash - at your current skill-level!

Exactly, Jonathan. My previous build was a Chinese cheapie. It fit together well, and glides decently, too. But I'd not have been too upset if I had made a mistake in the build or crashed it flying. It's all about learning the skills for me at the moment., and if I end up with a model I'm going to love flying at the end of it, then that's a major bonus!

Having someone else spec the electronics as a package removes one layer of difficulty as well. I like that idea.

Hi TJ,
Some excellent suggestions so far. Another is the Chris Foss Wot 4 - although designed
for IC, electric conversion is straightforward.
The kits are very good quality & are relatively quick to build with veneered foam wings,
pre-cut parts & good instructions.

It is a strong, proven design that flies very well.

If you want a glider suitable for thermal hunting from the flat the Amesthyst is a bit small & probably too light weight for all but the lightest wind days.
IMO you really need to be thinking of something at least 6ft span. The Sonata linked previously would be a better bet or at 100" the Cambrian Elan kit. Both of the latter are around the same price & whilst double the price of the Amesthyst I think they would prove more practical & better VFM. Converting to electric would also be easier with the larger models.

If you do consider either of these I suggest contacting the supplier & asking if any conversion drawings are included. However if they're not at least ask for the internal width of the nose. With this info you should be able to get advice from here regarding suitable motor/ESC/battery combo at reasonable prices.