Sunglasses for rc flying

cymaz

As it’s nearly summer I thought I would ask the question about eyewear. I’m now at the age where it’s difficult to fly with bad contrast and glare. I would like a pair of sunglasses to try and mitigate the problems.

Any suggestions as to what I should get....tint,polarised etc. Many thanks cool

Some one else might have this problem....I can’t be the only one!

Advert

Get a set with interchangeable lenses. Not necessarily those advertised for model flying which can be pricey. I got a set for shooting with 4 colours from light yellow for dull hazy days, bronze for some sun to dark grey for very sunny. I find with that set I can always find something to assist with glare. About £30 from outdoor shops

It's taken me a couple of years of trial and error to find the correct type of sunglasses that are suitable for model flying. Dark glasses I find are OK for general purposes,sitting in the garden or on the beach, but for me, tend to make an aeroplane difficult to see in some conditions against a bright sky: even copper or brown tints aren't ideal when it's hazy and not particularly bright.

I have found that the best solution to cut down on background glare but still gives good definition of a model so you don't become disorientated is a yellow tint, polarized and with full UV protection. I have just bought a pair of quality clip-ons as described (£20) and they are absolutely brilliant. My own personal preference, of course and others might not feel the same. Depends on your eyesight and whether you have the start of cataracts (most of us do when you get 60+, so worth having an eye test even if you don't normally need glasses).

Edited By Cuban8 on 29/04/2018 09:55:32

I use a pair from Rapid eyewere for general flying,, they have interchangeable lenses,,however if going slope soaring I use a pair from Lidi or Aldi,, they have a foam that seals against your face and you can remove the arms and fit a elasticcated strap, so you don't get the wind blowing across your eyes

Cymaz . I bought an Orange pair from Lidl last year for a couple quick .I'm amazed how they bring out the colours in the model on dark days , which , to be honest is every day ! Still use polarised for very sunny mornings though . Had cataract surgery years ago and I find most light needs shades !😁

Does SWMBO's head in !😨 Colin

Hello Cymaz. I have tried various tinted lenses for flying re to glare associated with cataracts. I found the best colour ,for me was/ is a brown/orange tint. I still use them after cateract removal and find them relaxing ,giving excellent definition when flying. I tried the yellow lenses but still found them too bright while looking at a bright sky although they are good when sky is overcast and dull. If you wear glasses you can get decent over glasses from a company called Ravenspeed. Thier glasses are designed for skiing and sailing and blockbout 100% of harmful UV . They fit over most glasses but dont look anything special. The colour you choose is a personal choice so try various colours but I wouldn't be tempted to buy cheap or from the internet unless it's a known reputable company.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 29/04/2018 10:40:33

I had this discussion with my optometrist coming into the summer of 2017. As a result of that I purchased a pair of Maui Jim glasses. I put them on when I arrived at the field I find then very good for tracking, regardless of bright sky or cloud. Take them off when I leave, I use them solely for flying. I can't say any more that that.

I fly models a lot in the southern US where the bright light is obvious. I am always amazed at how sun tanned my face gets - on a par with when I am out skiing and climbing - because one's face is upturned into the UV rays. I think it's a serious problem that could damage unprotected eyes. (Another even more serious risk caused by sunlight is skin cancer, so wearing sun cream is a good idea.) I find photchromatic glasses to be the answer and wear these throughout the year, inside and out, wherever I am. In the UK, the problem of bright light is less obvious, which ironically might make it more dangerous because it tends to be under-appreciated. A lot of us who are flying models are aging fast and the last thing we need to do is damage our eyes prematurely.

Posted by John Stainforth on 29/04/2018 11:03:14:

I fly models a lot in the southern US where the bright light is obvious. I am always amazed at how sun tanned my face gets - on a par with when I am out skiing and climbing - because one's face is upturned into the UV rays. I think it's a serious problem that could damage unprotected eyes. (Another even more serious risk caused by sunlight is skin cancer, so wearing sun cream is a good idea.) I find photchromatic glasses to be the answer and wear these throughout the year, inside and out, wherever I am. In the UK, the problem of bright light is less obvious, which ironically might make it more dangerous because it tends to be under-appreciated. A lot of us who are flying models are aging fast and the last thing we need to do is damage our eyes prematurely.

Great advice yes . Like most of us, I didn't really bother with worrying about the sun and its effects................until last October when I had a small lesion removed from the side of my face caused (as the dermatologist explained) probably by many years of working and following my hobby in the sun. Thankfully, the problem was localised, needed no further treatment and posed no on-going risk.

I now wear an Aussie type wide brimmed hat (minus the corks laugh) and use factor 50 sunblock when I go flying. Even overcast can let through quite a bit of UV to do damage, especially if like me, you spend full days at the field.

Better late than never to take precautions - don't put yourself at risk of serious skin cancer, you might not be as fortunate as me.

Glad you found a pair, hope they work for you. I wear these kind **LINK** but I certainly didn't get them from China ! Can't find a UK supplier on ebay as yet, but there must be some around selling in the UK, that's how I got mine. They can fit over prescription glasses and give me all round protection from the sun at all angles. Also keeps the wind out of the sides, which tend to make my eyes water on windy days or when I'm slope soaring.

Bit late Cymaz, but for the benefit of other parishioners, as I used to do a lot of driving I always bought a pair of prescription Polaroids at the same time as my new prescription glasses when my deteriorating vision required yet another change. No need to spend a huge amount - most High Street opticians will reglaze an old pair of spec's with Polaroid prescription lenses at reasonable cost - they've usually got "offers" too of some sort to reduce the cost, especially if you're a pensioner.

My long vision is great ( went to optician 6 months ago) but I have reading glasses. In my last job it was nearly all night driving. Something I got very used to. Now I’m a day job for 4 years when I do go out at night it’s not so easy vamp

Yep - me too - optician flogged me some yellow prescription lenses for night driving - they did make things look brighter when driving in poor light conditions but not to the point of being cost effective ( for me ) - when I next needed new specs I recycled the yellow lens frames and had them fitted them with Polaroid lenses!

Edited By Old Geezer on 30/04/2018 07:52:40

When I was in optics I was told that any kind of tint was a bad thing for driving at night. Even the yellow tints cut the overall amount of light reaching the eye by at least 20% so making it harder to see things like pedestrians lurking in the shadows, which they are known to do. Better to get non reflective lenses which increase light transmission by up to 10% and cut down on glare problems caused by oncoming headlights and so on. The yellow tint should be good for flying though, it's certainly well liked in the shooting world. Personally I find it makes everything seem brighter and makes the glare feel worse, the opposite of what I'm after. I found a pair of wrap-around Bolle safety specs with a reflective reddish tint that tones things down nicely and, unusually, has a measure of protection against infra red as well as UV. Infra red is what makes your eyes feel sore and gritty after a day in the sun (we can but hope) and causes snow blindness (more likely) so maybe ski goggles would be the thing.