New Drone Laws from 30/5/2018

GONZO

Advert

Posted by Gordon Whitehead 1 on 21/07/2018 14:31:07:

Thanks for your figures Steve, Martin and Mike. I don't have automatic data logging so had to look at the Tx display when doing my height checks, then I forgot to post the figures. The Katana weighs about 6.6lb with 800W. The totem pole went up to about 600ft, the rolling loop about 530, and the figure M which is one of my favourite figures went to about 500ft. My Boomerang Nano which does all the figures with more gusto would have topped at 800ft easily.

The Nano has both airspeed and height telemetry. On the level its max speed is a not too impressive 125mph. The top speed I've seen, however, is just on 150mph. To get this speed requires a climb to 1500ft (announced by the altimeter's beeper), followed by a vertical dive almost to ground level, with the 150mph announced by the telemetry ASI beeper.

If we don't get an exemption there's going to be a lot less flying fun to be had for many of us. In fact a lot less reason to go R/C flying at all.

(Off topic, the real reason for the airspeed telemetry on the Nano is to let me know when the landing approach speed has fallen to below 38mph, which means the model is then slow enough to land comfortably within the confines of our 65m strip.)

Gordon

Aerobatic & scale power models of over 7Kg have been flying legaly within a 400 ft limit since at least 2003 (the earliest BMFA handbook I have to hand) possibly 1995.
Why should similar sub 7Kg aerobatic & scale models be less "fun" to fly within this limit ?

Posted by Gordon Whitehead 1 on 21/07/2018 21:46:31:

Hi Erf

On and off for the past year or so I've been designing a Jet Provost to replace my 9 year old Nano. The full size JP was an elegant airshow aerobat in its day despite its relatively low power, and nobody else is going to design one for a Wren 44.

However, a permanent 400ft height limit will so restrict my model's ability to display that I might well decide that it'll be a waste of time proceeding with the design and build.

Gordon

I hope you do complete your JP design Gordon as I have a Wren 44 and a JP would be just the ticket for it.

I really can't see how the 400ft height limit will be enforced without legislating that all model aircraft carry mode C transponders. That isn't going to happen when full sized light aircraft are not mandated to carry them, quite apart from the practical problems with trying to make that happen.

GW, I would have thought that any site where you are flying turbines and 150mph missiles would be likely to have a 7kg+ height exemption in place already.

As for enforcement, they can't enforce speed limits on the roads so I could see a similar policy being adopted, ie monitoring of areas where infringements are reported or actual incidents occur. In other words, keep your wits about you, if you breach the height limit do so in a safe place taking suitable precautions to minimise risks. IE don't try it next to a known low flying area for full size or near an airfield.

The club I'm in operates inside the circuit for BHX, ATC know where we are and let us know if they spot significent breaches of our 400' limit. During the peak of the drone scares we had regular aerial patrols watching what we got up to. I guess we don't have any fun flying our models but someone has to do it.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 22/07/2018 10:38:10

Bob, my Nano weighs 5.5kg so isn't subject to the 7kg 400ft height restriction. That's what makes small jets attractive to me, apart from being much cheaper to build and operate than those big enough to need height restrictions. There's no speed limit that I'm aware of, and flown around the circuit in my normal fashion, which is not to be a speed merchant but to practice and to perform airshow style aerobatics pleasing to me, the Nano's top speed maxes at about 130mph. That's because much of each flight is flown at significantly less than full throttle, which is only applied when needed for the figure being performed.

Regarding Pat's comments about the LMA and the 400ft limit, I suspect that for their displays they apply for an exemption: http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?appid=11&mode=detail&id=4670 so that they can adequately display their models' capabilities to the public. Since this exemption is only for displays and comps, presumably the LMA flyers somehow practice their display routines within the 400ft restriction at other times.

Fun is where you find it.

When your flying you rc model whose gonna be policing the every move ie; height because I know there is nobody to check mine and until its made law to have height telemetry i could not accurately judge the height ?

Edited By Basa on 22/07/2018 12:01:19

Thank you for that Steve, very interesting, although they have been talking about mandatory transponders ever since I started flying (40 years!) although admittedly not bases on satellite datalink. 'Interoperable conspicuity devices for all general aviation by 2022-25' I really think this is pie in the sky as the report concedes that this is dependent on the equipment being developed and available at a realistic price. It will require years of testing to an internationally agreed standard, then comes the certification and implementation. Getting an internationally agreed standard can take decades! devil

Posted by Paul C. on 22/07/2018 12:28:32:
I bet my 400 feet is bigger than your 400 feet

You know what - somehow I can well believe that wink 2

All this talk of enforcement is, I believe, rather irrelevant. What will happen if you fly over the proscribed limit is almost certainly asolutely nothing - until there is an accident or a reported near miss. Then they'll "throw the book" at whoever was involved - simply to gain publicity for the rules and to make an example of someone.

Personally, I'm not too keen on being their "example", so I think I'll stick by the rules, whatever they are depending on wether we have an exemption, or not.

BEB

I'm in total agreement with BEB. You might be able to get away with ignoring the legislation unless you're unlucky, but it's very much in everyone's - and your own - interest to make every attempt to comply. An important factor in the BMFA's negotiations must be the generally responsible attitudes displayed by model flyers.

Although we are not overflown very often, one aircraft that does so is the local Police helicopter...

In a previous life, I did have occasion to police gliding competition starting heights from the back seat of a Super Cub flying at the gate height - from any reasonable distance it is very evident if an aircraft is above or below you.

The bottom line is that the pilot will be responsible for abiding by any height limit - how you ensure that you do so is of no concern to the authorities. Luckily, telemetry is getting ever more accessible and affordable!

P.S. I might need to change my avatar - flying my Cub over the moon might not be a great example! wink

Edited By Martin Harris on 22/07/2018 13:39:37

BEB is absolutely correct, my post was just to lighten the thread a little but could not post a little smiley on my phone for some reason. If someone does feel the wrath of the law I suspect that they would have done something stupid enough to deserve it.
Paul.

Posted by David Mellor on 22/07/2018 14:29:22:

The idea that we will all be required to fit altitude recording to our planes is wrong, I think. The CAA must bring a case based on their evidence of (amongst other things) an altitude violation. There is no onus in law for a model flyer to demonstrate that he/she was complying. The onus is on the prosecution to submit evidence as testable proof of non-compliance.

Certainly not an idea that I've ever seen suggested from any official source.

Whilst there's no requirement for the model flyer to prove innocence, there is a requirement to adhere to the law. A simple height estimate may suffice with the benefit of experience but reasonably accurate measurement is one tool we can use for our own benefit to avoid any transgressions or construct a defence or more likely mitigation of taking reasonable care. Those suggesting "just carrying on as normal" need to be aware of the possible consequences to themselves and the hobby.

Edited By Martin Harris on 22/07/2018 15:28:38

Posted by john stones 1 on 22/07/2018 12:03:34:
Posted by Basa on 22/07/2018 12:00:06:

When your flying you rc model whose gonna be policing the every move ie; height because I know there is nobody to check mine and until its made law to have height telemetry i could not accurately judge the height ?

Edited By Basa on 22/07/2018 12:01:19

You are.

…………………………………………………………………………………………..

john's answer..... is probably one of the best one's on this thread...

ken anderson...ne..1..... common sense dept.

Posted by Gordon Whitehead 1 on 22/07/2018 11:48:47:

Regarding Pat's comments about the LMA and the 400ft limit, I suspect that for their displays they apply for an exemption: http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?appid=11&mode=detail&id=4670 so that they can adequately display their models' capabilities to the public. Since this exemption is only for displays and comps, presumably the LMA flyers somehow practice their display routines within the 400ft restriction at other times.

I wasn't refering to the LMA or their displays. I was refering to all over 7Kg flyers, many of whom fly regularly at club sites without any exemption application.

Over 7Kg @ 400ft ceiling : result happiness teeth 2 thumbs up

Under 7Kg @ 400ft ceiling : result misery crying thumbs down

Logic : eludes me. questionface 22

Edited By PatMc on 22/07/2018 15:41:43