Wings & Wheels at North Weald Essex

Advert

I went yesterday. The show seems to get smaller every year, although the flying was fairly varied. Trouble was, most of the time I had no idea what I was watching as the commentary was so useless. Some of this could be down to no information being passed to Nik, perhaps Jon has an insight on this. We should be told what each model is, who is flying it, what the power system is, how big it is and whether it is available to buy.

Had a great day on Saturday. Family even enjoyed it. I must admit I didn't have a problem with the commentary. I also didn't have a problem with what was being flown. If I want to see planes I can afford to fly I can go the my local club field.

Only real improvements I think could be:

1. More exciting flying such as fireworks for the warbirds similar to Southern Model Show

2. A bit more unusual stuff such as the fast voodoo.

3. A display team of 2 or more planes flying close together

4. better toilets (cabin as opposed to individual portaloo style units)

Would also be nice to see more traders offering better prices, but I guess the availability of online prices means we have that all the time now days. Not sure if pitch prices also contributes but I did hear one trader reference the price he paid meaning he has a lot of work to do to make it back.

Posted by Trevor Crook on 25/06/2018 07:14:23:

I went yesterday. The show seems to get smaller every year, although the flying was fairly varied. Trouble was, most of the time I had no idea what I was watching as the commentary was so useless. Some of this could be down to no information being passed to Nik, perhaps Jon has an insight on this. We should be told what each model is, who is flying it, what the power system is, how big it is and whether it is available to buy.

I don't think that the commentary was useless, that's a bit harsh, but Nik does need to address matters of style and volume. Yes, lack of details of the models and a few errors here and there were evident and if Nik can just tone it down a bit by talking to his audience and not at them, he'll widen his appeal and do much better.

The flying and entertainment side does need pepping up a bit, and whilst the constraints of being on a live airfield do limit some things, a lot could be done.

Some suggestions include - a full size aerobatic display as W&W used to have and then a model performing a similar routine - guess the height competition - predict the number of spins performed by a suitable model - model rocketry - limbo - more 'wheels' content, classic cars , motorcycles, military vehicles perhaps? - set pieces in the way of a ground attack on a mock airfield with pyros - aerobatic gliders, either self launching or aerotow - foreign modellers with unusual aircraft. Nothing that hasn't been done before but does give proceedings a bit of variety. If it means having to pay a bit more in the way of entrance fee, I don't mind.

I think that we all echo Cymaz's comments above, we want the event to continue to grow and be profitable for the organisers and traders - don't let it fade away.

Edited By Cuban8 on 25/06/2018 08:08:26

Nic Johnson s a heli man and is used to commentating at the likes of Heli fest and has branched out into fixed wing. Last week at Weston he referred to an aerobatic model as having a 3m Diameter wingspan. Its not great when a commentator can't get the very basics right.

I was there on Saturday and also enjoyed it a lot . I also met many friends and club members. It’s a bit of a shame the commentator got some of the models wrong as said I’m sure that could be fixed with a bit more preparation. It’s nice to hear what’s powering them and what kit etc. All the flying was very good , and I certainly also enjoyed Dick Dastardly’s new plane too! My overall impression was very good . Much better than the last three years. There were a few new traders there too such as an engineering tools stand. The number of traders there was very good and I spent a fair bit of money . I also bagged a wonderful bargain. A lovely CS Cirrus 2.65m glider receiver ready for just £80. I’m looking forward to towing it up with my Wots Wot XL.😊.

I will go again next year. It’s well worth it for me even if only to browse and buy from the large number of traders in one place. It’s like an RC department store! The value is that it’s so useful being able to see and compare products physically rather than having to rely on internet photos. With so few local model shops that’s important.

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 25/06/2018 09:18:07

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 25/06/2018 09:19:10

Trevor, Nik relies (too heavily in my opinion) on an electronic form online for all his aircraft info sheets. For reasons we cant quite fathom, only about 2% of the pilots received the link to this via email in advance of the show so we were all frantically writing out paper sheets on the satruday morning.

The problem was i had 3 models in 12 slots and only one sheet of paper to try and give all of the required information. Needless to say it didnt work. I suggested on the saturday evening that he update his web form to include a small thumbnail picture of the model being described as this would aid identification as its obvious he is not an aviation enthusiast in the truest sense. One form could then be submitted per model. Indeed the form could even include a link to the wikipedia page relating to a scale aircraft so that all he has to do is read some blurb from there. I wouldnt have an issue with that, i dont expect everyone to have a familiarity with historical aircraft sufficient to tell people the engine it had, what it did etc.

Cuban i like your suggestions but some, like the attack sequence, i think would be out of the question due to the live nature of the airfield. This is due to FOD and the fire risk. Remember that in the post Shoreham airshow world things are not as they once were and this also has an impact on the full size display potential and would make the show much more expensive to run.

All that said, send your ideas to the organisers, let them know what you liked and what you want to see. Personally i would like to see the little steam train given a longer track to run up and down as the kids would love it and they could put a wagon on the back so i dont have to carry my newest purchase back to the carpark! Im sure anyone with anything heavy will gladly pay a quid not to have to carry it

Posted by ChrisB on 25/06/2018 08:18:29:

Nic Johnson s a heli man and is used to commentating at the likes of Heli fest and has branched out into fixed wing. Last week at Weston he referred to an aerobatic model as having a 3m Diameter wingspan. Its not great when a commentator can't get the very basics right.

I suppose it does if its in a flat spin

Re an attack sequence...........I agree that blowing up and setting fire to some mocked up wooden buildings on a dramatic scale as we've seen in the past probably wouldn't go down too well with the airfield owners, but I'd have thought you'd get away with a few thunder flashes and smoke canisters .

The 'Shoreham effect' is an ever present consideration, but I know that there are quite a few small concerns that are in the business of providing an aerobatics display to various public events, weddings, birthdays etc - in fact my club had a recent talk from an Essex based pilot about his business and the Yak 52 aeroplane that he uses. It's a difficult one to get right - stay as you are and risk diminishing returns, or charge more to cover the costs but attract more punters with new attractions.

I wonder how many non-modellers attended over the weekend? - I don't live very local to North Weald so I'm unaware of any publicity in Harlow or round about.

Ah yes, DB...

Laugh with him, chuckle at his occasional errors and cringe at some of the less "politically correct" comments but I've always thought that he was the voice of UK model shows. There has certainly been something missing at the shows I've been to where he wasn't commentating - it's a rare skill to be able to inform and entertain for hours on end but maybe Nic will grow into the role - he seems to have plenty of enthusiasm and once he has been able to gauge his new audience may well become the new DB - but it's a massive void to fill!

Edited By Martin Harris on 25/06/2018 11:30:51

A couple of years ago at an Old Warden modelling event, my wife and I were taking an evening stroll and we passed DB's caravan where he was chatting to some friends. We nodded a hello to him and although he never knew us, he beckoned us over and invited us to join him. What a fascinating half hour or so of anecdotes and aviation stories we were treated to - the man is a walking encyclopedia of aviation trivia and knowledge, both modelling and full size. A real gent.

The worst thing about the Sunday commentary was the continuous mention of the football score - if you were interested in the game you might want to record it and watch it without hearing the result first and surely that's the sort of thing that stops you going to a show next year! Lowers the numbers attending W& W.

If you were not interested it was annoying to say the least. of course anyone really interested would have watched the game in the refreshment tent.

Actually I have no interest in football so it was merely annoying but if he had blurted out the result of the F1 GP then I would have been furious. Sort of thing that would stop me attending a show.

So stick to commentary on the planes and cut out the waffle and mention of other sports!

Posted by kc on 25/06/2018 16:19:15:

The worst thing about the Sunday commentary was the continuous mention of the football score - if you were interested in the game you might want to record it and watch it without hearing the result first and surely that's the sort of thing that stops you going to a show next year! Lowers the numbers attending W& W.

If you were not interested it was annoying to say the least. of course anyone really interested would have watched the game in the refreshment tent.

Actually I have no interest in football so it was merely annoying but if he had blurted out the result of the F1 GP then I would have been furious. Sort of thing that would stop me attending a show.

So stick to commentary on the planes and cut out the waffle and mention of other sports!

The footie was on the tv in the beer tent and seemed to have quite a crowd round it. Not my thing at all but i did want to see the f1 after i got home so was hoping he wouldnt say anything. I do agree that many people would be watching said events on catch up or iplayer or whatever it is and he should really have left it out.

Martin is right though. We have gotten used to one commentator doing things a certain way and we now have a new guy with a new style. If we ignored the errors, many will not like him simply because its not the style they are used to. His heli and aerobatic commentary is fine, the 'bangin tunes' and egging the pilots on is part of the scene, part of the show and works with the crowd at those events. Fine, however, WWII and tiger moths are another story and another audience.

Regarding music the organisers requested background music at all times, perhaps to avoid deathly silences between slots? in any case there were calls from the audience to turn it up, and turn it down all at the same time.

If the music was to prevent silences then i think its no longer needed as the flying went much more to plan this year so we didnt really have many gaps.

Jon.

Another thought for an added attraction next year. Why not a demonstration of good old fashioned pattern flying with vintage models. Engines and maybe two classes for ye old reed gear and modern proportional?. There are different pattern sequences for beginners intermediate and expert. I'm sure the appropriates section of the BMFA could be "encouraged" to organize this and maybe recruit some club flyers to their next meeting?

I would love a vintage slot but to be fair you are asking the wrong guy. I am only posting my experiences to help explain why certain things are the way they are and why certain things may not be possible. I could be wrong about many of them, so If you guys have suggestions, and clearly you do, contact wings and wheels admin and tell them directly so they can look at if/how it could be done.

Indeed if you and the family/friends went to the show this year write a letter/email between you and send it in. Highlight the good, constructively suggest what can be improved, and suggest new ideas like the parade of vintage cars and other things discussed here.

I very much doubt they will be dismissive of feedback received in this way.

Posted by dave parnham on 24/06/2018 19:22:11:

Enjoyed the flying on Sunday ,great display from the Stampe and Tiger Team.

Excellent show we had a good day today......and somebody saved me 200 quid by Buying the very smart Balsa Usa Fokker DV11 that was for sale round near the boat pool. I went back to have a closer look and would have made a cheeky offer but it had gone! Well done that mansmiley

Cheers Dave....I do the shows because I enjoy it. It costs a bit of money, van hire, Travelodge, meals. It’s close to £300 for a full weekend. The Stampe team will be about soon.

To be a bit more positive than my previous post, there was fairly continuous flying, I don't think there was a "lunch break" this year. I didn't have a problem with the toilets, they seemed to be being maintained well throughout the day. The football score thing didn't bother me that much, I think given the unusually good result for our team you would have been hard pressed to get home without hearing it!

The days of the "Show Special" priced kits are over now, everything I looked at was at its normal shop price. But at least it was there to look at, and if you treat it as visiting several model shops in one place the shopping experience is fairly good - I stocked up on some balsa, tools and accessories.

Plenty of stuff at the bring and buy, but I paid £2 to not sell my Sig Clipped Wing Cub. I guess you have to hope someone is there that wants it....

I may give it a miss next year, but we'll see. Oh and Jon, I think I identified your La 7. Radial cowl and vicious taper on its red-starred wings? If so, it looked and sounded great, well done.

Posted by Trevor Crook on 25/06/2018 21:45:28:

I may give it a miss next year, but we'll see. Oh and Jon, I think I identified your La 7. Radial cowl and vicious taper on its red-starred wings? If so, it looked and sounded great, well done.

Thanks Trevor, that was the one....although it was described as a zero for half of the commentary! Its fine though, I pointed out the error and he was glad to apologise and correct it for the sunday. I cant fault him for not knowing every WWII aircraft

Your comments about show special prices are very valid though. Internet competition has pretty much done away with that as everything is rock bottom as it is

Edited By Jon - Laser Engines on 25/06/2018 23:29:07

Well, someone cajoled me into flying at this event. Show flying is something I have probably not done for over 35 years. But hey, at the end of the day I actually enjoyed every minute of it. The occasional problems with my models were overcome (why do these wait until it really matters?). I had a great time flying my Stampe and the only Spitfire there as far as I know, other than of course the superb impromptu full size one.

Only quibbles are the sometimes unbearably loud music during displays and the silly prices being charged at the bar. £5.50 for a pint of anything. No wonder that it was empty most of the time. Some people coming from other than the affluent south east are more used to about two quid. £4.50 would sound more reasonable. Choice of Amstel, Heinekin, Stongbow or Guinness was not very inspiring. Glad that I brought my own supply of bitter.

There was a noticeable lack of many traders I would have expected to see there. Priced out no doubt.

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 25/06/2018 23:50:36:

Only quibbles are the sometimes unbearably loud music during displays and the silly prices being charged at the bar. £5.50 for a pint of anything. No wonder that it was empty most of the time. Some people coming from other than the affluent south east are more used to about two quid. £4.50 would sound more reasonable.

Although I enjoy the occasional beer at home, I rarely drink alcohol when out, so the price of booze on sale at airshows etc doesn't bother me. However, if the high price that was being charged at the bar was enough to dissuade people from being ripped off, then good on those who refused to be fleeced. I hate being ripped off by opportunist trading at many events, and although I'm in a fortunate position to be able to pay their prices, if I choose to, (never) the exorbitant prices will go on if enough people pay them.

Edited By Cuban8 on 26/06/2018 08:55:14