Anyone interested in a Nats meet-up?

Advert

Sorry I won’t be there after all. I was keen to get to the Nats for the first time but the forecast is rain 90%, wind 21 mph and 14C. That in itself doesn’t scare me but it’s going to limit the flying activity so my day will be better spent in the garage finishing work on my Norton, today will get that done. All my modelling activity has been on hold for the last few weeks because I finally decided to get done work on that I have been putting off for years. As soon as it is completed it’s a case of clearing my head and back to the models. Amazing how working on an engine I built 25 years ago makes you realise how much you forget. It’s taken twice as long as expected because of the number of times I’ve had to re-learn things I previously took for granted. A good and refreshing experience though, I’ve always had a common interest in motorcycling and flying models and full size, I find them to be complementary experiences.

Back home.

Trip there was anightmare - the A1 was just at a stand still. At one point took over 2 hours to cover 10 miles! Trip back much better, much better route though, ignored the saynav!

Saturday was OK, rather overcast and a bit blowy, but OK. Sunday was a wash out, played cards most of the day!. Today was warmish, but again very grey and blowy. So, I've definitely been to better Nats!

Meeting a few forumites (Ace, John Stones, Paul Marsh) was good fun, nice chat.

I think I'll be in bed early tonight though, knackered!

BEB

Avice and I were there all weekend, including sitting in the holding area on Friday afternoon. We had to do a circuit of Grantham when our usual route was closed for (presumably) road works. Other than that both our outward and return journey were OK.

Saturday was a bit breezy and not exactly super warm but OK. I usually spend time watching the scale competition which I enjoyed with the excellent commentary that makes it good for we spectators. At 12.30 I made my way to the area near the BMFA tent but didn't see any obvious grouping of forum members but spoke to Graham Ashby later in the afternoon. For anyone there, I was the bearded guy wheeling an Airnimal small wheeled folder aimlessly

On Sunday, I wandered down to the swap meet at 8am (breakfastless!) and it was threatening rain even then and it was much colder. It may have been my imagination but the attendance seemed lower than previous years - perhaps potential sellers had seen the forecast. By 10 the rain started and the rest of the day was a wet and windy washout. I only bought a roll of Solartex. I was sorely tempted by an almost complete TN 60" FW190 with most of the bits (motor, esc, retracts) to complete but I resisted as I have more than enough to do.

Today was much better but very windy. The scale competition ended early because of the high wind but not before there was some sterling flying by the 'Flying Only' competitors. It certainly showed why bigger models fare better in strong wind. We left around noon and were home about 2.

After the excellent weather last year it was a shock to be back to Barkston 'normal' this; in fact worse than 'normal'. I also felt that trade attendance was much thinner. I don't know how much the BMFA charge for stands but perhaps charging less might prove to increase income overall. I can remember the time when small companies like for instance DB Sport & Scale were there but presumably it's not cost effective for them now.

Geoff

went on Saturday spent 2-3hours at the swap meet and trade , got all I went for and more met David Cunningham as arranged went to the "meeting place " but did not know any faces , shame .Got very very wet , rang the wife to say "calling it a day so be home early " her reply " Told You So "

Just a normal day for me then !

cheers

Less and less trade presence seems to be the order of the day, with traders like The Component Shop and Star Adhesives, whom I particularly wanted to visit, not there.

This very same situation occurred many years ago both at the Nats and at Sandown with businesses finding it uneconomic to bother due to the ever higher fess involved. The take at the gate must be considerable, but even this will decrease again if there are few places to shop.

So sorry that the weekend was a washout after all the organisation and work that goes to make the event and the disappointment of the competitors and others that put so much into it. I decided to give it a miss because of the foul weather forecast but I take my hat off to those that did brave the elements. I'd done Wings and Wheels and Cosford LMA already this year so have had my fix of shows, but would have gone if the weather had been exceptional as it was last year. Presumably, the hanger was still closed, so nowhere to to get together on a large scale in the evenings for indoor flying, the kids with their models during the day and a general social meeting as in past times, which might have made up for it a bit.

On the trade issue - a pity, but as has been said, a declining presence has been noticeable over the years (and not just the Nats) so I suppose we're in a slow downward spiral. I have to say that it's not just modelling airshow traders that are affected, but as a regular to Duxford and OW full size events, I've noticed that their trade lines are also showing a decline, and are nothing like they were ten years ago. The exception being food sales which appear to be thriving despite some ridiculous prices.

I've no idea what a pitch at the Nats costs, but I imagine with all the other associated outlay for transport, fuel, time, etc (and the washout risk) it must be becoming a close call for all the traders as whether to bother risking it and losing money or making very little. The whole idea of show prices has more or less disappeared which just compounds the problem, but I can understand the thinking behind it. I tend to buy next to nothing from traders at any of the shows compared to years ago - only fuel which I stock up on. How many on here would still support the Nats if the trade declined to virtually nothing and would you really miss them, given the change in all (most) of our modelling buying habits?

Hopefully we'll get better weather next year.

Edited By Cuban8 on 28/08/2018 12:03:26

Sorry I didn't get to the meet up! On Saturday, I was firmly wedged in a judge's chair for most of the day, Sunday I spent mostly at the hotel watching the Grand Prix (well, it was better than watching the rain - just!), and Monday, it was back to judging and trying to make up lost time!

The journey up was a nightmare! 7 hours to do 250 miles! I was expecting all the traffic to be coming to the West Country, not trying to get out! The M5 was stop/start from before Exeter, and never really cleared. The return journey was much better - only 4 1/2 hours - despite the car on fire on Telegraph Hill!!!

But despite the weather, we got quite a lot of flying in. Don't think the pilots enjoyed it much, though....!

--

Pete

nice to chat GeoffPosted by Geoff Sleath on 27/08/2018 21:49:32:

Avice and I were there all weekend, including sitting in the holding area on Friday afternoon. We had to do a circuit of Grantham when our usual route was closed for (presumably) road works. Other than that both our outward and return journey were OK.

Saturday was a bit breezy and not exactly super warm but OK. I usually spend time watching the scale competition which I enjoyed with the excellent commentary that makes it good for we spectators. At 12.30 I made my way to the area near the BMFA tent but didn't see any obvious grouping of forum members but spoke to Graham Ashby later in the afternoon.....

....David 😉

Nice to chat Geoff 👍

Posted by David Ashby - RCME on 28/08/2018 12:25:56:

nice to chat GeoffPosted by Geoff Sleath on 27/08/2018 21:49:32:

Saturday was a bit breezy and not exactly super warm but OK. I usually spend time watching the scale competition which I enjoyed with the excellent commentary that makes it good for we spectators. At 12.30 I made my way to the area near the BMFA tent but didn't see any obvious grouping of forum members but spoke to Graham Ashby later in the afternoon.....

....David 😉

Nice to chat Geoff 👍

Oops! Sorry. However I think the brothers Dimbleby (David and Jonathon) have the same problem Plus I have age as an excuse!

Geoff