Stolen airliner

Jon H

As title..someone stole an empty airliner and went for a joy ride complete with aerobatics. He was intercepted by F15 fighters but eventually crashed. Unfortunately he didn't survive but there were no other fatalities

The following video is part of the atc communication with him and some video of a half decent split S.

In many respects the video makes for difficult listening (its mostly audio) as, to my ear anyway, there was no malice in the 'hijacker' but he was clearly a troubled individual.

An unfortunate situation all round

Advert

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 12/08/2018 20:09:33:

He had learned to fly on simulators as did the 911 perpetrators, makes me think simulators relating to full size flying should be banned.

That's not correct. The 911 attackers took flying lessons in Florida, one already held a commercial pilot's licence, he took a refresher course.

Richard Russell seems to have picked up his "training" on game simulators.
The part of the flight training that the 9/11 terrorists had was on aviation simulators, as is normal for pilots seeking commercial licence qualifications.

Banning "simulators relating to full size flying" would set commercial aviation training back 60+ years as well as take away a valuable safety testing tool.

Posted by cymaz on 13/08/2018 07:32:36:

BBC News HERE

It’s unsettling to think an aircraft can be unattended, unlocked and the “keys left in the ignition”

Not really. Most aircraft dont have keys as such anyway and once airside everyone there is deemed to be safe as they have been security checked and all the rest of it. If this guy was ground maintenance then he needs free access to the aircraft to do the job.

Given the rarity of these incidents i think the media are hyping it up. They make it sound like you have parked your car on the high street with the doors open and keys in the ignition. Its really not like that.

Much of the reporting, as with most things aviation, has been rubbish. They quote him as asking for a job with alaska if he lands. if you listen to the recording, that was obviously laced with sarcasm.

It would be interesting to know who's insurance pays out for the destroyed aircraft........the airline's or the man's employer.

Think about it......if the garage mechanic takes your car for a joyride whilst you left it for servicing ( or the airport car park firm employee as happened recently ) would you expect to have to claim on your own insurance when it's crashed? Presumably there are precedents already set.

Anyway it may force airport baggage handling firms to vet their staff a bit more carefully in future.

Edited By kc on 13/08/2018 12:53:36

Guys, I'm with a few others here. Frankly I find some of the comments here insensitive, inappropriate and even rather goulish. I man has died in tragic circumstances where he saw fit to take his own life, I really question if that is a suitable topic for debate and analysis by us armchair critics on here?

So, can I ask, like Paul, that we drop this please and let the poor man rest in peace, because there, but for the grace of God, go many others.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 13/08/2018 13:50:07