Government Consultation on Drone Flying in the UK.

As a few posters have already pointed out, the legislation already exists, it doesn't need further Parliamentary time wasted introducing further statutes. Surely we can find something else less damaging to keep that bunch of lying, thieving toads occupied? I didn't express it quite that way in the survey but you get my point.

I answered for myself without using the crib sheet, can't recall all the questions but answered Yes to this, someone may get officious, someone may complain out of malice towards model flyers, hasn't this already happened ? Beyond me to write a foolproof set of regulations to the consultation, sometimes you just have to have faith you'll get fair treatment, not been subject to unfair treatment by the Council nor the Police so it's "Keep Calm n Carry On".

Posted by john stones 1 on 29/08/2018 12:51:48:

I answered for myself without using the crib sheet, can't recall all the questions but answered Yes to this, someone may get officious, someone may complain out of malice towards model flyers, hasn't this already happened ? Beyond me to write a foolproof set of regulations to the consultation, sometimes you just have to have faith you'll get fair treatment, not been subject to unfair treatment by the Council nor the Police so it's "Keep Calm n Carry On".

thumbs up

BEB

I think we may be confusing two similar questions here.

The first, should a police officer be given the power to direct a UAS pilot to land his model if he has reasonable grounds to suspect that the flight contravenes the ANO seems reasonable as any discussion over the legality or otherwise of the flight is far better conducted with the model on the ground!

The second point was along the lines that a police officer should be allowed to prevent a pilot flying due to another person raising a concern that it was causing them a nuisance. I see no reason why this should become a police matter and it should remain something to be dealt with by the local authority and/or civil courts.

Edited By Martin Harris on 29/08/2018 16:43:07

Completed.
Certainly seems to keep circling around the same topic several times before moving on.
I feel that, properly applied, we have most of the necessary legislation in place already.
My concern is heavy-handed use of any new legislation. i.e. most would consider "breaking the law with a drone" to be dropping drugs into a prison, terrorist activity or flying near to an active airport. I'm worried it will be interpreted by the police as "an unidentified complainant believes you are infringing his privacy, despite the fact he lives over 200 yards away, and its easier to make you land rather than tell the complainant he is being silly"

Posted by Ray Dunn on 29/08/2018 23:17:13:

Another completion.

.... I can't help wondering if the primary aim of the questionnaire length was to minimise replies! ....

Ray

I must admit to having the same thought initially but then I reviewed my thoughts, and it applies to all who complete the survey.

Don't forget this is a public consultation which is seeking views from ALL parties. We might take it for granted that we are completing this from the point of view of NOT wanting drone restrictions applying to model aircraft. There will also be those completing this specifically because they DO want restrictions and are perhaps unaware of the difference between a drone flown irresponsibly and a model aircraft flown responsibly

Collectively WE need to be certain that they recognise the interests of genuine aeromodellers and that we are seen to be a responsible bunch quite willing to accept the rule of reasonable laws.

The reason that there is such focus on the legal side of operation is that drones are already in widespread use to help with many illegal activities, to me it is quite understandable that the legal side of enforcement has to be robust and if that means using drone specific laws then so be it. In my mind it is a question of when, rather than if, there is a collision between a commercial aircraft and a drone; and sadly that will result in knee jerk reactions the like of which we don't want to even think about. If future legislation helps to put that day further away then I'm all for it.

I hope our views get a fair hearing and I hope that the distinction between drones and model aircraft is understood by those who will read the responses and formulate any new regulation

I raised the issue that the proposed FINS app was effectively making it a legal requirement to own a smartphone (which I don't, and don't want, and bet others of our fraternity don't either). This would surely be a legal "bridge too far". I know of no other legislation which makes ownership of a smartphone a legal requirement. Totally unacceptable.

From the original post:

"Final point: Please, Please, Please do not turn this thread into another 45 page ramble about drones and MR's - the situation is was it is - our job is the be positive and come out of this the best we can. The consultation is the topic of the thread let's be clear about that.

So, armed, get your pen out and let's show them that we are reasonable people and a substantial body of well informed opinion - go for it guys!".

So I have made my response to the DOT and submitted it a couple of minutes ago. Now for a lie-down in a darkened room.

Edited By John Robertson 3 on 15/09/2018 16:04:11

I completed the public consultation some time back, as others have stated, it took several, reloads to get to the end.

I think I am at one with many, in always answering NO to local government officials getting any powers. The reason being there has been far to many reported instances of these bodies or their agents being officious unreasonably, creating offenses which are used as cash cows. There are to many examples where powers granted have been manipulated, to create opportunities to create issues, again so that cash can be raised.

I do not know one way or the other if it will make a jot of difference. I can say that one of my bosses did say, we  said we would consult, we never promised to take any notice.

Edited By Erfolg on 15/09/2018 17:22:31

Last Chance Saloon guys! You have until 11.45pm tonight to respond!

I have to say, like some others I disagreed with some of the 'model responses' from the BMFA et al., particularly around police and other 'busybodies' powers. There were some pertinent questions also hidden away in areas I was invited to skip. Sneaky devils!

• 3 months later...