Plan protection

Advert

Have two methods

Choice 1. Grease proof oven paper if I am going to avoid cyano and the plan printing is nice and clear. I find it easy to handle and cut.

Choice 2. Cling film.

My clear backings from coverings are very rarely big enough to be useful so they generally get chucked.

Levanter

Re clingfilm and cyano, against my better judgement I put a layer of clingfilm over my latest plan and had the wood weld itself to the stuff because of the cyano that had crept between the two surfaces. A pain to fix but just inconvenient picking and sanding the stuff off. Never again.

I asked the same question since I came back to building after an 11 year layoff. I used to use clingfilm but it's expensive & messy. I was pointed to florists clear cellophane. I've been using it for a couple of weeks, however, the cyno I'm using sticks to it, It's cheap enough to use new every time.

Posted by Cuban8 on 25/09/2018 16:26:17:
Re clingfilm and cyano, against my better judgement I put a layer of clingfilm over my latest plan and had the wood weld itself to the stuff because of the cyano that had crept between the two surfaces. A pain to fix but just inconvenient picking and sanding the stuff off. Never again.

Maybe there are cling films and cling films? I've been using a roll of catering quality "Polycling" liberated from my wife's stocks since I started building again around the turn of the century. I've had little difficulty separating plans, film or balsa without damage over numerous builds.