Hello All,

I'm coming back into the sport after a break of around 10yrs and seem to have a hand full of cash (but don't tell the wife) to spend on new Radio equipment, mainly 2.4 GHz.

I've seen a Futaba Tx set that I like the look of on the UK webpage of Hobby King and they seem to be reasonably priced. But I'm a bit concerned that it wont be UK specified equipment that will not match with anything else that I have or will buy in the future? Am I being an over-concerned newbie? Has anyone else spent a large amount of money with them ? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Advert

Welcome back Anthony. You didn't say which model Futaba Tx you are interested in. I didn't find any Futaba Txs on the HobbyKing UK website but I did find the Futaba 10J on the Euro website - (so no duty to pay). If it is the 10J you are interested in, you could get it from Kings Lynn Models for only marginally more than HK. If it were me, I would get it from Kings Lynn Models as you know it will be UK spec. and fully warranted. I have bought a lot of products from HobbyKing but I would not buy a radio from them, although obviously many do. If you were unlucky enough to receive a faulty radio it would be extremely expensive to send it back to Hong Kong, as I doubt it would be covered by a UK warrantee.

Just my 2p worth

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 03/10/2018 07:11:50

Hobbyking are excellent for certain things. Lipos, motors, ESCs, covering film. Small foamies.

In general, treat with some caution, their modus operandi is 'big box shifter'. So if you want something more expensive then other shops may be more 'in tune' with that purchase.

well (we) did have some LMS...… and I and others did support them,but they have now gone. Bar one left ….its hard to get what you require locally and just as easy to go online and order and have it delivered.mind you the postage charges are the killer.....I ordered something from UK hobby king for £10...postage was £5...that was the cheapest option...and I bet it didn't cost that to send it....I maybe wrong.i now find that its a chore to build and source the stuff you need.....where as previous you could go to the LMS have a look and come away with your stuff...

ken anderson ne...1.....LMS dept.

I think the last couple of posters have really hit the nail on the head.

HK have their good points. For lower value and bulk stuff they often offer a good deal, the sort of stuff Nigel lists. Even for the the odd fun foamie at a rock bottom price - just a knock about - again they can do this well.

But a Tx is big investment. Remember, if you don't like a cheap model you don't have to fly it - a tranny is with you all the time. Personally I wouldn't be interested in saving a couple of bob on such a major piece of kit. I want to buy it from someone I can talk to, preferably face-to-face, but at least over the phone. Someone who knows the kit,, can answer questions and has the time and interest to do so.

In short, my advice for an item like this is go to a major model shop. Why not enjoy the process, take a day off and go in paerson! That way you can hold the object of your desires and be sure it is actually for you!

BEB

Whilst HK are good, and use them as they have many products what you can't get anywhere else (just ordered another pair of 120 size rotating twist n' turn retracts 5 minutes ago), I would never buy a radio from them, even receivers.

As said, if there is a fault, it would be expensive to send it back, plus other factors, such as suspect EU compliant.

For example, if you want to fly at a model show (maybe even a fly-in), they are checked, and if they aren't compliant, you will not be permitted to use it

Posted by Don Fry on 03/10/2018 18:53:43:

Errrr, just a quick straw poll, knocking clones, on the basis they are not reassuringly expensive as the old salesman's phrase went, anyone had, say an duff Orange receiver.

Nope, I don't use clones myself, I use frsky rx's they're compatible with some makes of radio, but not clones, I use compatible bits n bobs on my car as well, can't always afford the pukka Honda parts. My Levi 501s are genuine mind. wink

Posted by ken anderson. on 03/10/2018 09:27:17:

w.mind you the postage charges are the killer.....I ordered something from UK hobby king for £10...postage was £5...that was the cheapest option...and I bet it didn't cost that to send it....I maybe wrong.

ken anderson ne...1.....LMS dept.

I do find postage charges a frustration - and quite often a deal breaker. I'm not naive enough not to realise that some cheaper postage isn't built in to prices but contrast 2 recent transactions...

A smallish pair of folding prop blades from a model shop - £5 postage, second class and dispatch within 2 - 3 days...the only reason I went with them was that they were the only place I could find them in stock and expected them to be sent immediately - I only discovered that the £5 was for second class when I called them to check after the third day of waiting.

4 small ball races from a bearing supplier for an engine - quality makes and reasonable prices - free postage on all orders...ordered late yesterday afternoon from the other end of the country and currently residing in the engine having arrived this morning in a 24 hour Royal Mail packet.

Which outfit will I go to as a first choice supplier next time?

Edited By Martin Harris on 03/10/2018 19:36:06

I bought a brand new Futaba 8FG Super on the internet as they were then discontinued and not available in the shops. I had done my research and the 14CH set ticked all the boxes and covered all my needs.

However, once in my hand I hated it. The ergonomics did not feel right, it was slim and slippery and the menu system was naff. I sold it at quite a loss and bought a second hand 12FG. It is beautiful.

A Tx has to feel right in your hands in terms of balance, weight and size.

Posted by ASH. on 03/10/2018 19:32:51:

I bought a brand new Futaba 8FG Super on the internet as they were then discontinued and not available in the shops. I had done my research and the 14CH set ticked all the boxes and covered all my needs.

However, once in my hand I hated it. The ergonomics did not feel right, it was slim and slippery and the menu system was naff. I sold it at quite a loss and bought a second hand 12FG. It is beautiful.

It does I agree entirely, even sought out people using the one I fancy, before purchasing online before now. Cats ? loads of ways to skin em.

Posted by ASH. on 03/10/2018 19:32:51:

I bought my Frsky Horus based on comments here and studying the spec on line without ever seeing or handling one. I absolutely love it. True, I use a tray so how it feels in my hands is irrelevant because all I touch when flying are the switches and joysticks.

I did, however, buy it from T9 Hobbysport despite the fact it was a quid or two cheaper elsewhere. I get my receivers from them as well.

I use HK, too, but for things like LiPos, motors and esc and the odd foamie. There simply isn't a shop anywhere near me any longer. And I did use them a lot when they were there.

Geoff

Thanks everyone for answering my question.... My original concern was to keep away and keep british, but I was interested in your opinions. It seems since I've been away from the Sport that there has been a multitude of web-sites pop up where you can spend your hard earnt money.

Piers Bowlan I was looking at the T10Jand I live in Cambridge so may take a ride out to Kings Lynne and have a chat.

supertigrefan SMC are a bit far away for me but will look at their Website

Thanks again all