Binding wire for solder joints

Jon H

I am looking for a reliable source of wire for binding solder joints. I used to strip the wire out of CAT5 network cable but most of those are stranded now and not solid core. I found a few places selling copper wire on spools but most of it is coated so no good for solder.

I know i can used fuse wire, but that is getting hard to find as well so if anyone has a source for this stuff please let me know

Advert

I suppose what you need is Bare Tinned Copper (BTC) wire. I haven't bought any for a while but my last lot came from RF Potts in Derby a former government surplus electronics shop but now a source for all things electronic/electrical - a veritable Aladdin's cave. I think they have a web site. There must be similar shops elsewhere. I used to have no difficulty 'acquiring' things like that but since I both retired and the family shop's closing down I find it more difficult for some reason

Failing that use copper wire from electric wiring cable - either 1.5 or 2.5mm. That's untinned but should work OK.

Geoff

Cheers guys

I hadnt really searched yet so its nice to see plenty of options. The ebay situation looks like good value but i will check out the others as well.

All i have to do now is choose one and repair the struts on my stampe without screwing up the wing geometry. Should be fun :\

My local electronics shop sell tinned copper wire, www.esr.co.uk. They do mail order too

I read somewhere Maplins is returning but internet sales only.....I'll post the link up if I can find it...surprise

Ah, here we are.....

https://www.insidermedia.com/insider/yorkshire/buy-it-direct-confirms-maplin-offer

Edited By John Rudd on 31/10/2018 15:41:51