Club Website?

SIMON CRAGG

It depends on whether you have any club members competent in HTML. If not then your best bet is a blogging system such as Wordpress. This is very easy to set up and maintain and there are lots of ready made themes for you to customise it. There are lots of companies offering cheap hosting for wordpress sites too.

Posted by Ultymate on 30/11/2018 18:45:52:

The BMFA now host club websites !!

Here's the link https://bmfa.org/Clubs/Hosted-Club-Websites

These look perfect, and are Wordpress (whatever that means)!.

I have added the topic to our next committee agenda. Just need somebody in the club to take it on, and we are in business. Many thx for the heads up.

Have you tried using the Wayback Machine at the Internet Archive, **LINK**, put in the website address and see if this has been archived. I do not know how the Wayback Machine decides what sites to archive or when it checks and updates its records. It can hold many versions of a site over time, but it is not infallible. I have used it to successfully recover what was deemed to be a lost site, although I found that a couple of pages were slightly out of date and a couple of pages had never been archived, but at least I had a good start. Even if you can copy text from any archived pages, it gives you something to populate a new site with, rather than having to recreate everything from fresh.

Thanks for the replies, very interesting.

We tried Facebook, but hardly anybody used it.

Tried Whatsapp, same again.

Tried Wayback, which found the 2005 version.

Has anybody used the BMFA iteration?

Is it straightforward?

How much does it cost?

The examples looked really good, and if we could achieve what they have done it would be fantastic.

I have not got enough brain cells to administer a web site myself, but am sure somebody on our Committee will have!.

When I was asked to take on our Club's website, I trawled around a huge number of other clubs' websites to see how they looked and performed (speed of loading is important these days) and the info they contained, to come up with some idea of "best practice".

I found, inevitably, that they vary tremendously. There are some excellent ones out there and some dreadful ones (no names, no packdrill). There are also large numbers that look as though they haven't been updated for a very long time.

I have also found that there is a lot of work setting up and properly maintaining a decent website, so it is quite a commitment. Don't forget that in today's world websites must scale correctly because they can be viewed on everything from a small mobile phone screen to a massive full 4K TV screen.

A club website has to do two things:-

1. Be a "window" on to the Club for outsiders and prospective members and

2. Be of some informational service to existing members. (I do find myself wondering how many Club members ever visit their own club website, and if so, how often).

The first thing you need to do is to determine the content and develop a rough idea about how you want it to look. You can begin to do this using a Word Processor or Destop Publishing software. That will take time! Only when you've done that is the time to consider the hosting and backend issues. It is all a very interesting learning process, but quite time-consuming. You will (should) also find that it is an ongoing, somewhat iterative, process. Development should never really stop, as the internet world and its protocols etc are changing all the time, and websites that are not freshened up from time-to-time fall into disuse.

Of course, like so many things, opinions are very subjective, but I'll risk putting my head over the parapet and you are welcome to see our Club site at **LINK**

Posted by kc on 01/12/2018 12:23:45:

Delegate it to someone who knows about such things -- but make sure the club owns it and controls it not some member who just goes away leaving the club without access.

That is the plan. We have somebody on the Committee who is ideal.........but has got to "want" to do the job. I still work full time, and am not a great fan of sitting in front of the laptop for hours on end.....so I am a non-starter. At the GO membership meeting the other night, several clubs mentioned how important a club website is, now that a lot (all in our case) LHS have gone. Our plan is to have an up to date, easy to navigate site, coupled to the new GO membership portal and club finder. We are not desperate for new members, but a few would be useful.

To be honest , you don’t need to ( I’m no computer wizard) sit at the computer for hours on end using the BMFA hosting. Just add pages when you need to. Once up and running it’s only a few minutes of updating. I’ve now been assigned to run the Cornwall Area site. Hopefully the front page and passwords will arrive next week from the BMFA. I will let you know what happens.

It’s no harder than writing on this thread,

Edited By cymaz on 01/12/2018 16:53:24

Posted by cymaz on 01/12/2018 16:52:46:

To be honest , you don’t need to ( I’m no computer wizard) sit at the computer for hours on end using the BMFA hosting. Just add pages when you need to. Once up and running it’s only a few minutes of updating. I’ve now been assigned to run the Cornwall Area site. Hopefully the front page and passwords will arrive next week from the BMFA. I will let you know what happens.

It’s no harder than writing on this thread,

Edited By cymaz on 01/12/2018 16:53:24

Look forward to your update fella. Its probably not that difficult, but as we have eight committee members, and I am already the club sec and general dogsbody.........................its good to share the workload!.

Posted by Keith Sharples on 01/12/2018 17:05:00:

Anyone know how long it takes for the BMFA to sort a web site hosted by the BMFA obviously. The reason is I emailed the BMFA web master all the necessary info to start the process on the 26th and heard nothing back yet.

Hi keith

Its on the list and I do have a bit of a backlog, hopwfully will have any outstanding ones sorted this coming week,

Cheers

Simon ping me an email and we will eb able to get you up and running reasonably quickly

Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 01/12/2018 18:44:27:
Posted by Keith Sharples on 01/12/2018 17:05:00:

Anyone know how long it takes for the BMFA to sort a web site hosted by the BMFA obviously. The reason is I emailed the BMFA web master all the necessary info to start the process on the 26th and heard nothing back yet.

Hi keith

Its on the list and I do have a bit of a backlog, hopwfully will have any outstanding ones sorted this coming week,

Cheers

Simon ping me an email and we will eb able to get you up and running reasonably quickly

Hi Andy.

Thanks for the update, I wasn't complaining just wondering if anyone knew how long it tooksmiley

Keith

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 01/12/2018 00:19:47:

Using HTML you can create your website on your computer and load it up to your server as and when you need to.

Any alterations are recorded on your home site, then load them up to your server.

Keep a copy of your site on a memory stick, update the copy on the stick as you update the site and bobs your uncle.

Never lose your site in the future.

Edited By Tom Sharp 2 on 01/12/2018 00:22:22

Edited By Tom Sharp 2 on 01/12/2018 00:26:14

Better still, make two memory stick copies, and give the second one to another committee member to store. This protects the club against both you leaving (for any reason) or something unfortunate such as a fire at your house. Buy a third memory stick so when you update you put the copy on there and swap it with the other committee member.

• 1 month later...

i too am trying to take the BMFA option for our club website,

emailed the required information in December, not heard anything back beginning January, emailed again, still no reply,

i then sent an email to ask, just for confirmation that my request was received, still nothing back,

and yes i do realise xmas/new year, maybe a backlog,

it does make me wonder if the email was received, i deal with a few other companies that use an automated service, to say that the email has been received, maybe something BMFA could look at.