Dave Burton (BEB)

Such sad news any day. I lost Margaret in October as most of you will recall me posting so I know full well the sadness and loss. I never met Dave but he amused and educated me, Even his nom de guerre tickled my funny bone. My sincerest condolences to his family and friends. Enjoy flying free mate ( even if ii RC) If you meet Marg on the field give her a hug for me. FIP mate (fly in peace) john/one tenor

Very sad news to read today when I got to log on after the New Year celebrations and such sad news is not great to start the day. My deepest condolences to BEB's family and friends. While I had not met him he had responded to some of my posts and having read his thought him to be a great forum moderator but also very knowledgeable and experienced. I think David Ashby's opening post summed BEB up perfectly and he will be much missed by all who came into contact with him.

I too thought it odd that he wasn't popping up on the forum in recent months.

Very sad news indeed and the loss of all that knowledge; I learned a great deal from him (and others) on here.

My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

'Now he has slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And dances the skies on laughter-silvered wings'

RIP

Little to say that's not already been said. I didn't see this coming at all! My thoughts are with Dave's family and friends.

I will miss debating the finer points of aerodynamics, taunting him via his dislike of 'stall speed', and my all time favourite: whether a 747 on a conveyor belt is able to take off!

I won't pretend that we never disagreed, but I like to think we disagreed respectfully.

Rest and fly in peace!

Like many others I never met BEB, but always enjoyed his postings and his clear understanding, plus his articles in RCM and E. I have learnt so much from reading his work.

I wonder if anyone has considered letting this family have a copy of this thread as a sort of condolences book?

RIP BEB.

Tim

What a sad loss..

As a relative newcomer to this forum and recently returned to the hobby I have been looking around the site quite a bit reading older threads (catching up!). Dave's posts certainly stand out written with integrity, enthusiasm and witt... 'and firmness where necessary'.

My condolences go to his family and friends

RIP BEB

Posted by Tim Cheal on 03/01/2019 22:25:39:

Like many others I never met BEB, but always enjoyed his postings and his clear understanding, plus his articles in RCM and E. I have learnt so much from reading his work.

I wonder if anyone has considered letting this family have a copy of this thread as a sort of condolences book?

RIP BEB.

Tim

Yes and yes Tim thumbs up

Oh dear, very saddened by this news, my condolences to all.

I first became aware of Dave through this forum, though I had probably read articles in RCM&E before that without realising it. He stood out for me not just because of his moderator role but also because of the considered methods he used to keep good order. His knowledge and means of passing it on has always been just at the right level for all and no doubt will provide a reference for many in years to come.

I first actually met Dave, together with David Gilder at Steve Webb's to discuss the provision of T shirts for the first Mass Build to take place in 2011, when many of us built our Webbits. The impression he made on me then reinforced that which I had already formed; a perfect gent. That year and on several subsequent years we met again at Greenacres and I always hoped we would meet there again.

I, model flying in general, this forum and of course RCM&E will miss him I'm sure.

Edited By Ian Jones on 04/01/2019 11:01:07

One aspect of David that non of us have mentioned, is his relatively humble academic beginnings. I am sure that they have provided inspiration to his children and probably indirectly to many others, who would be unaware of his path to being a Professor, although aware of his patience when working through issues with others.>>

I am referring to the fact that his path was via ONC, HNC, Honors Degree, PHD. No faster track that "A" level provides. >>

I expect that others will have a more detailed knowledge of this aspect of his life and how it formed a part of his exceptional character.

Posted by David Ashby - Moderator on 04/01/2019 09:53:14:
Posted by Tim Cheal on 03/01/2019 22:25:39:

RIP BEB.

Tim

Yes and yes Tim thumbs up

Thanks David Ashby, I was hoping that's what you had in mind. You're obvioulsy better placed to do it than I would have been.

Sad, tragic news. Sincere condolences to his family and friends.

I never met him and I wish I had, but I followed his posts and admired his ability to defuse controversy on the forum with sound common sense and an ability to look at the bigger picture. We will all miss him.

Whom the gods love die young.

Sad news and I will miss him down here in Christchurch, New Zealand too. Always enjoyed his contribution to the forum and RCM&E. I keep some of his articles in a special folder for reference. He obviously enjoyed the social side of modelling as evidenced by the photos and stories I read of the Greenacres meets and the like and had a knack of generating some lively debate on this forum.