Dave Burton (BEB)

Very sad to hear the news of Dave’s passing……

Along with Tim Mackey Dave was one of the first Moderators on the Modelflying forum & was, I believe, along with Tim, largely responsible for setting the tone of the forum as a place where all could express their views, seek help or whatever in a convivial & friendly atmosphere. In short a “nice” forum.

Engineer, academic, teacher, aeromodeller & family man Dave was a true polymath. He wore his great knowledge & intelligence lightly never seeking to belittle or insult others and he had that rare commodity, common sense, by the bucket load.

Shortly before the end Dave did say he would still be keeping an eye on the forum but would be sending thunderbolts instead of PMs….you have been warned wink 2

A great man…..he will be missed by all who knew him.

Very sad news. I never met BEB and only knew him from his contributions to this forum, but learned to respect him. He was one of those people that you would always listen to and think about what he said even if you didn’t agree with him.

He will be missed.

Dick

BEB

I never met him, but feel as if I knew him well just from his contributions on this forum and the bollocking I got from him when my contributions required moderation. I have great respect for him and his memory.

Such sad news. I am thinking of his friends and family.

Plummet

This is very sad news,

As i missed him at the Don Valley Open Weekend,

And this was are last communication,

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 01/10/2018 19:23:14:

Oh, sorry I missed you too Stephen - still I'm sure there will be other chances to meet up!!

BEB

I am sure there will.wink

Steve.

My condolences to his family and friends, Sorry we will never get that meeting sad.

Steve

I was completely shocked when I read this sad news. Although we never met I've viewed Dave as a cornerstone of this forum since I joined. He was such a helpful & knowlegable contributer it's hard to imagine the forum without his ever welcome input.

My sincerest condolences to Dave's family.

As with the majority of people on this forum I had no idea that David was ill. I just thought he retired early, expecting him to have more time to write for the RCM&E, now no longer constrained by the Day Job.

I met David twice, as others, at Greenacres Fly-ins. On both occasions David encouraged me to fly at the event, as I was reluctant. Others have alluded to his generous, inclusive nature. Watching him on those days you could not but admire his enthusiasm and energy.

I remember a short piece he did on servo torque requirements, on control surfaces. Another piece on what determines the smallest loop that can be flown. I had hoped that he would turn his attention to DF science. Alas he will not be doing that now.

I do not know if David Liverpudlian or from the Wirral. I only know he flew at Arrow Park.

Like so many others I will miss the various contributions that he made to our hobby, I am sure that Liverpool University will feel very much the same as us, here.

My most sincere sympathies are with his family, as we all know for them the loss is very personal, affecting their lives in ways we can never truly appreciate.

Very sad news.

I only met Dave once at a Greenacres event, he was such a welcoming and open man whose enthusiasm and energy was boundless and infectious.

I also had the pleasure of being told off by him on this forum. His insight, balance and ability to wade through arguments and make both sense and offer alternative views was a massive contribution to this forum. Whenever I saw a reply from BEB I knew it was well worth reading.

Can't imagine his family's loss.

Just logged in for first visit of the year and been hit with this terribly sad news.

My thoughts and condolences to Dave's family and friends.

I got to know Dave initially like many through this amazing forum in his role as Admin, offering some of his apparently limitless knowledge and guidance to us mere mortals.

I also read his articles in the magazine and despite my then much lesser knowledge, I was able to understand them fully. Dave had a way of writing things so that anyone could understand them, even if you didn't know all the technical jargon!

It was in 2010 that I conversed with Dave as we drew up plans and launched the 2011 Webbit Mass Build. Little did we know then the Mass Build would not only continue annually, but would spread also into other disciplines such as the PSS Glider Guiders!

I only met Dave in person a handful of times, at Steve Webbs in Frodsham and at Greenacres, but a lasting impression was made of such a kind hearted and gentle soul.

I am sure everyone would agree that the world of RCM&E and model flying in general has lost one of its great contributors.

I shall raise my glass to you Dave.

Fly High In Heaven.

Save a space in the pits for us all!

Edited By David Gilder on 02/01/2019 01:55:41