CAA registration consulation

I could be wrong but I'm detecting a sentiment that in some way people think you have to register just because you own model aircraft/drones and don't actually use them. Surely I'm wrong it cant be the case that just owning and not using model planes/drones requires registration?

Advert

Posted by cymaz on 02/05/2019 06:40:17:

I am waiting to see reports of multi rotor uav around Heathrow....all under 250g.

There is no lower weight limit in the exclusion zones around major airports, which now extend out to 5KM (around 3 miles).

That means that even a kid throwing a paper dart across the school yard is committing a criminal offence, if the school is within 3 miles of a major airport!

Stupidity doesn't even begin to describe it.......

--

Pete

Posted by Steve J on 02/05/2019 08:36:07:
Posted by Kevin 216 on 02/05/2019 08:19:30:
Many of the 'old & bold' club flyers are unlikely to register and will walk away, I estimate that in my club we will lose 40%.of our members.

I'm surprised that so many people are prepared to give up their hobby over £16.50 / year and and a multiple choice test. I costs me the best part of £16.50 in fuel every time that I go sloping.

Steve

There's no way that I'm going to driven away from a hobby that's been a significant part of my life for over 50 years, there's still stuff that I want to do modelling-wise and I'll not be put off by a few career pen-pushers. So many other things have gone on over the years (normal family stuff that we all have to deal with) and aeromodelling has been a great safety valve to keep one on the level.

I don't know how this fiasco will finally play out, natural justice would suggest that we are being unfairly demonised and I hope that we'll be able to continue our activities without being yoked to such overblown and unnecessary regulations and procedures.

I see that the BMFA has now written to all its members setting out their position and is asking every individual to write to their MP, CAA/DfT and others. This in addition to responding to the fee consultation charade. They are also continuing to engage as our sports national body.

The fee is undoubtedly important to some but for me and I suspect many others it is the principles involved that create the ire. Ie duplicity, waste of public money etc I learned a long time ago not to cut my nose of to spite my face and in this instance I love my sport sufficiently to keep going and to stay within the law whatever that turns out to be.

I will however write personal letters to those persons and bodies suggested by the BMFA......

Tim

Posted by Steve J on 02/05/2019 08:36:07:
Many of the 'old & bold' club flyers are unlikely to register and will walk away, I estimate that in my club we will lose 40%.of our members.

I'm surprised that so many people are prepared to give up their hobby over £16.50 / year and and a multiple choice test. I costs me the best part of £16.50 in fuel every time that I go sloping.

Steve

Me too. As often the case with this type of subject there seems to be thread drift. Lots of reactions to earlier posts and not so much debate on the actual content of the CAA discussion document.

Firstly there is no "if" about the registration scheme. It is already the law and includes drones and model aircraft. If this is unacceptable to any individual on principle then of course that is their right. But getting bogged down on principles can lead to cutting the nose to spite the face. Other countries that pay less or nothing due to subsidies are lucky. We are £16.50 a year unlucky and I wouldn't let that kill any hobby I was passionate about.

Secondly, in their document the CAA make it quite clear that they are not intending to gain from this government obligation so if they have a surplus they say they might extend the period to three years and if they undershoot, they do not say they will attempt to recover the shortfall by raising the fee. The actually say they will defer improvements and features that are already factored in until the books balance again and additionally they go on to say that changes to the fee structure would be subject o further consultation. These are words from a respected regulatory body not politicians but it seems that plenty want to turn it into a political argument which does nothing to help.

Personally I agree with many other that the legislation is deeply flawed but as modellers we are not unique in being adversely affected by bad laws.

As far as funding is concerned my preference would be a small levy on all drone sales regardless of size. In that way I could see that they would hit the numbers. Here I do make the distinction between drones and model aircraft as in terms of what is attempting to be achieved as it better suits the principle of "user pays"

Levanter

I understand the principle of user pays, but shouldn't there be an element of benefit involved? You pay a fishing licence fee and much of it goes towards maintaining the fisheries, buy a licence for a narrowboat and the canal network is maintained, your passport is required by foreign countries when you visit them etc. etc.

Who are the beneficiaries of registration? Will the CAA be cutting our runways, dealing with awkward neighbours or providing field security - of course not. The perceived beneficiaries are airport operators, airlines and their customers (although I suspect we all feel that registration will have no benefit) so surely a levy on air fares is the logical funding model. Perhaps the CAA might see the benefit of devolving the registration of the majority of active and committed model flyers to the BMFA differently if this was (or had have been) the case?

Posted by john stones 1 on 02/05/2019 09:35:01:

Quit the hobby over this ? Not a cat in hells chance, family next door got their house robbed last week in broad daylight, get a grip.

Well said John , beginning to feel that this thread should carry a health warning !!! You can feel the blood pressure of some of the posters hitting dangerously high levels, time to Google local yoga classes 😉👍

Paul.

Don't know about anyone else but all this business is making me increasingly depressed. I would just like to enjoy my hobby in peace in retirement without a huge black cloud hanging over it. And to add insult to injury I went to the boating pond to sail my steam boat yesterday and the pond had been emptied!crying

Posted by GONZO on 02/05/2019 09:07:07:

I could be wrong but I'm detecting a sentiment that in some way people think you have to register just because you own model aircraft/drones and don't actually use them. Surely I'm wrong it cant be the case that just owning and not using model planes/drones requires registration?

Same thought occurred to me Gonzo. If you 'buy, own or possess' a shotgun you need a licence which involves registering. How much more dangerous is a toy plane? Airliner killers! Perhaps they will have to have an amnesty for people who have been harbouring broken balsa model planes in their loft for the last twenty years. Hands up who's guilty? You can just imagine the scene;- piles of dusty, crumpled, Super 60s and Tomboys piled high outside every police station in the land, with good citizens eager to disassociate themselves from this evil perversion! wink 2

thought it was "license to operate" not "license to own"?

regardless

levanter makes an excellent post which I don't think I can add to at this point in time

also noted is that the bmfa are all over this issue - thank you gents

Posted by Wingman on 02/05/2019 10:15:21:

Don't know about anyone else but all this business is making me increasingly depressed. I would just like to enjoy my hobby in peace in retirement without a huge black cloud hanging over it. And to add insult to injury I went to the boating pond to sail my steam boat yesterday and the pond had been emptied!crying

There you go, you think we have it bad, some fish/ducks have been made homeless. sad

Has the CAA just dropped a stone in the pond to see the how large a ripple it produces. then modify their approach according to the strength of the response/outrage. Not happy about it but definitely not affecting the blood pressure.

I've said it before, the test you will be getting is an idiots test. If you say in your answer, it Ok to fly over a nuclear power station, you fail. If you say, you take off without consideration of the weather conditions, you fail. If you say you can park your drone outside someone's window an film them, without their permission, you fail.

If I can pass a test in a foreign language it is not onerous, and I would even say, get a grip.

You are then latest group of minority interest devotees to get a shafting for political expediency. Fight it, you might improve the deal. Don't fight, you get the full shaft.

Or you can do something else. Origami might fulfill your need to create, and give that adrenaline buzz when it works out. Might even give the same depressed moment when the paper tears.

If the proposed CAA scheme is implemented I for one am 'pulling the yellow & black handle'

The cost of an initial UK driving license is £34 and it is valid for 10 years, that's £3.40 a year and no need to take an annual driving test, Many of the 'old & bold' club flyers are unlikely to register and will walk away, I estimate that in my club we will lose 40%.of our members.

I fear you may be correct or even optimistic - I would imagine that forum members are at the more committed end of the hobby and we've seen several long term modellers stating that they will give up model flying or even go boating instead!

Posted by Don Fry on 02/05/2019 10:45:50:

You are then latest group of minority interest devotees to get a shafting for political expediency. Fight it, you might improve the deal. Don't fight, you get the full shaft.

Wise words.

Perhaps you should add that if we roll over too easily, we could be a target for even more stringent (expensive) measures.

Edited By Martin Harris on 02/05/2019 10:53:22

Posted by Gary Manuel on 02/05/2019 10:44:28:

I wonder what under 18's who already own a drone are supposed to do as they will be prohibited from registering.

Minors are difficult to legislate and convict Gary, and usually go away with a caution.

We are paying for, and providing the details, by registering, that could result in a criminal conviction.

This is your number, on your model, this is your conviction, this is your fine, have a good day.