CAA registration consulation

The "Failing Grayling" (nice one Percy V) is probably trying to claw back some of the millions he squandered on the ferry fiasco remember the  start up ferry company with no ships or personnel awarded £14 m and then the £33 m compensation to Eurotunnel . The incompetence in our so called government is staggering .The worrying thing is there is no alternative as they all go to the same parties ! Vote another lot in and it all starts again .

Edited By Engine Doctor on 15/05/2019 17:06:16

Advert

"The only thing that we can do at the moment is to get the government to legislate a u-space funding model in the long awaited Drone Bill that means that recreational SUA operators/remote pilots only pay a nominal fee (e.g. £5 / 3 years)."

And I think we'd mostly be quite happy* with that.

The age restrictions seem rather petty though. 16 for marriage, 17 for a car - any car, although good luck on insurance, 18 for a 251g drone.

* well, ok, we'd put up with it.

Edited By Nigel R on 15/05/2019 17:06:57

We get taxed and vat on almost every thing we do, please explain why we feel this is different, even taxing folk coz their kids have grown up and left home, bedroom tax ?

Failing Graylings been mentioned numerous times, he's being sued now by Arriva ? so we'll have the tab to pick up for that as well, he'll still remain in his highly paid job, nice index linked pension as well, what will we do ? Zero. Come election time, this fellas party will claim to be "The party of low tax"

Been working for an old lady today, pointed out she'd Bees nesting in her loft. Council old folks bungalow, council no longer employ anyone to deal with this stuff, she's to pay a £45 call out fee tomorrow and maybe some more to add on.

Get a grip folks.

It is not different, it is just another way of reliving ordinary folk of their cash for something that is completely unnecessary and unwarranted so FG and Co can cover their backsides with three foot of reinforced concreate and say " how clever we am" .angry

I for one will NOT be paying this model tax, just so that some greedy IT company can line their pockets.

I have no problem registering as a 'pilot' (the free thing) and taking the completely meaningless online test, but I will not register as an operator and pay the 'tax'

After all, if I take the test, I'll have a piece of paper that *PROVES* I am a safe & competent flyer. Perhaps we could scrap the whole driving test thing and just replace that with an online test too. Same deal for private pilots license.

My piece of paper that proves I'm safe will also allow me to fly absolutely anywhere, as I am certified after all.......

angry

Posted by Nigel R on 15/05/2019 17:05:56:

"The only thing that we can do at the moment is to get the government to legislate a u-space funding model in the long awaited Drone Bill that means that recreational SUA operators/remote pilots only pay a nominal fee (e.g. £5 / 3 years)."

Posted by Nigel R on 16/05/2019 08:27:25:

It's probably best not to advocate breaking the law on a public forum.

Just wondering how we are supposed to get the government to reduce the fee to £5 per 3 years unless we all refuse to pay. As a group, aeromodellers are not big enough to apply any pressure on the government whatsoever. However, money talks - If none of us pay, then (and only then) will they consider rethinking their strategy.

Even if we all, as in all the BMFA/LMA/etc members, pay, the CAA still won't get all the money the government have instructed them to recover.

A significant portion of aeromodellers probably won't remember, or won't have found out, or won't have access to a PC and won't do it. My dad won't pay for anything over the internet, so I fail to see how he'll do it. Some will leave the hobby. Others won't pay as a protest, and possibly fly anyway. Others won't pay, and will fly park flyers.

Most drone flyers are "don't know and/or care" as far as I can tell.

Bets on the CAA getting their 170,000 people registering?

I think money will be talking anyway.

Posted by Nigel R on 16/05/2019 08:27:25:

It's probably best not to advocate breaking the law on a public forum.

Quite right, we've enough of a problem caused by illegal/irresponsible operators, who are feeding the legislating appetites of the bureauocrats. I believe that in the absence of an arrangement that allows aeromodelling and legal recreational drone users to continue as we are now, then we should legally demonstrate our lack of confidence in any new arrangements, and also show that what is being imposed will do nothing to stop the fiasco that was played out at Gatwick being repeated elsewhere, or indeed any of these alleged 'near misses' being reported by pilots. As I look out of my workshop window into the clear blue yonder, I still don't see the serried ranks of drones plying their trade delivering pizzas or whatever else they want to dream up to my neighbours............so what's the rush anyway?

Lets see how it plays out over the coming weeks and months, the BMFA and others are doing what they can to fix the problem but I fear that without wider publicity to highlight the absurdity of what's being asked of us, we're on a 'sticky wicket'. Enjoy the good flying weather at your own patch, at the shows and of course the Nats, write the letters (did mine yesterday) and don't get overwhelmed by the politics of it.

Edited By Cuban8 on 16/05/2019 10:34:56

There is something in law that if enough people will not comply then it becomes a non law and some times you just have to take a stand.

E mail sent to Minister of aviation Baroness Vere noting our concerns. [ it is polite ]

When the CAA start their awareness campaign it will probably be seen by far more members of the public than just drone operators.
The public's likely perception (rightly or wrongly) is that £16.50 is a small price to pay for having a register to provide some sort of control over drones (misguided or not). Don't expect much sympathy from Jo Public for any posturing.

Those that think refusing to pay will make any difference are deluded. Those that advocate not paying are stirring things up and both are likely to do more harm than good to the modelling fraternity.

In many parts, this thread has acquired a set of responses that bear no resemblance to the consultation document or the video interview with the CAA.

Levanter

Re the online test.................can't we just show them our "A"' and "B" Certs ?? Those that have either or neither can get them got. "A"'s should be enough, I would have thought, and could be seen as a "gain" as we would all be better and safer flyers............Iv'e got badges and everything.

D.D.

Posted by Michael Barclay on 16/05/2019 11:31:17:

I intend to take the free online test to "prove my competance" and continue flying without registration. Stuff em.

You do wonder, if you made it a condition that you put your name, address, pilot number on the machine, it's gets round the problem.

Forgive me if anyone has made this point, but I don't have time to read 39 pages of this.

It occurred to me as I wrote to my MP to invite him flying. He's unlikely to accept, but the offer is there and if he did accept, we would orchestrate a meeting of highly responsible, trained, regulated and insured aeromodellers, a.k.a. BMFA members.

BTC

I think that some people may be losing sight of the potential cost of registration. I believe there's general agreement that the potential number of registrants is a fraction of the official estimate of 170,000

Therefore quoting the £16.50 fee is at best hopeful and more likely to engender apathy in the less committed aeromodellers, whilst diluting any case we make to the Government (the CAA have had clear directions to self fund this) and individual MPs.

I'd certainly agree that advocating deliberately flouting the law is no way to gain trust with the authorities - WE need to be seen the responsible and law abiding injured parties in this knee jerk reaction to the antics of some drone flyers and a few conventional model flyers stupid enough to provoke such action.

Edited By Martin Harris on 16/05/2019 13:17:29