Suggestions for vintage model

Since moving into my new house it's become apparent that my penchant for large scale warbirds is not compatible with my now reduced storage space. I'm ok with the current fleet, but if I want something new it has to be small.

So, with that in mind and a drawer full of small diesels I'm in the market for a 2 channel vintage model to suit either an am10, paw 149 or dc sabre engine.

Shortlisted so far are the matador from Ben buckle as this will suit the 149, and the vic Smeed ballerina which may be over powered by the am10. I have also been recommended a veron deacon as well. If there are any other suggestions I'm all ears

Advert

How about a "Sparky" designed by Harry Hundleby. My original back in the day was single channel, I made another some 10 years or so ago with rudder and elevator. A tough model and amazingly aerobatic, suits 1.5cc diesel or as in my case electric power. Plan is on Outerzone.

If you look at the above posts, which are all valid suggestions, it becomes clear that you have to decide how you want to fly.

If you want old FF models, with gentle radio guidance, and that's what vintage models generally are, then the choice is huge. Vic Smeed of course, but there are even excellent kits on eBay (OSMAF, Ben Buckle, etc.).

However, if you like throwing a plane around the sky, then you really need one of the early radio models: Sparky, Baz Bomb, Gasser, Galahad, etc.

I think it's important for the plane to fly "in character".

Thanks for the input guys

To give the full story, when i was about 13 or 14 i got a 2 channel vintage style model from our club auction for about 20 quid. It had a paw149 in it and i flew it for ages until the engine failed. I eventually replaced the engine and flew it for a number of years until an over zealous friend tore the wings off it. I would like another one but sadly i dont know what it was and i cant find any photos of it so cant ask for help. Instead i am looking for a similar model that can power up to altitude and then float about for a little while. Not a glider, but a traditional vintage style model that i can guide round the sky as opposed to fly all the time.

I already have something like the baz bomb (bought at the same auction, flown to death, drawn round all the parts, new one built, flown to death, new one built....) powered by an OS15fp so im leaning more towards the slow and sedate for this venture.

My old Mercury Matador is just that, a guide it around the sky model that I often let do its own thing at times. Built as a free flight model in the early 70s with a DC Saber for power. Flown three channel now with a PAW 1.5 which is more than enough [ just as well it has a throttle ] and a small elevator which is more of a trim tab and good for getting some penetration when gliding back to base against the wind. [nearly always some wind where I live ] The rudder is the standard single channel size.matador 2

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 17/05/2019 11:34:01:

How about a Bazz Bomb? or Timber? or for a more trad design Lumpers?

Ah - the Lumpers...my first (successsful) trainer back in the mid 70s.

So tough (nylon covered) that the wings simply rattled more after each impact into Croxley Moor. I wonder if an OS 20 four stroke would overpower one...rudder/throttle only (plus test glides and proper trimming) would be fun to experience again...bit of CF across the centre section perhaps to counter the extra loading...hmmm

Edited By Martin Harris on 17/05/2019 17:22:39

A Veron Deacon would suit DC Sabre nicely, the PAW would be a good match for a Veron Robot if you liked to keep awake with a few aerobatics between bouts of gentle meandering.

Note both models have peg & screw wing fixing, the Robot has reduced dihedral & ailerons but will roll nicely on rudder alone.

OTOH a Sharkface or X-Kraft would keep you awake all the time with the AM10 [if it's one of the earlier pre-emasculated versions] as this one had before electrocution...

ga_top_before.jpg

and elevators were added.

dscn1463 (1280x960).jpg

One that I can really reccomend is Dick Shumacher's Little Ship. Genuine Vinatge R/C published in Model Airplane News January 51, the cut off date for Vintahe.

44" span. 1..5ccs power. Can be flown with two or three channels.

Quite strong witha sheet fuselage. Many years ago everyone in the club built at least one andmany were flown until they just fell apart.

The model will cope happily with quite strong winds and it can also be flown through aerobatics such as loops and rudder/elevator rolls.

img_1476.jpg

The picture actually shows my Big Ship which is a direct scale up of the little ship.

I have plans of the The Little ship. Originals from when I did a few kits and the club went mad for it

How about a KK Slicker type. They go vertical up, and float down. Can be very addictive to reduce the drop rate after the climb. Fit a radio DT, don't ask why. Take an armless recliner.

A nice companion to provide refreshment would be very nice.

Edited By Don Fry on 17/05/2019 19:03:21

you guys have really gone for it. At this rate i will need a fleet of models so its a good job i have two Sabres, the AM10 and a 149

Little ship looks lovely so that is a contender for sure, i had considered tomboy but im a contrary old whatever and i tend to avoid models everyone else has got. Its why i always built Hurricanes not Spitfires, P40's not mustangs etc. That said, it would fit the bill nicely

Next time i visit my parents im going to have another hunt around and see if i can find a photo of my old model. I must have one somewhere..If not, i best pick a winner from the suggestions here