Confirmation - The World Really Has Gone Mad......

Former Member

Advert

This is about as crazy as the carpenter using a broom and told not to do so by H & S because of the health hazard of inhaling sawdust - he was told he needed to buy an electric vacuum cleaner at £2K

...and also today Harriet Harman on the BBC was quoted as saying that arresting mothers (presumably justifiably) shouldn't happen because it infringed the mother's childrens Human Rights !

What do I know ...glad to be old in this current climate

Read the judgement Percy. It's a 50/50 liability, two idiots who interact in the comedy of life.

The lady idiot was in a group crossing the road. The gentleman idiot thought it safe to cycle at a high speed into the narrow gap behind them.

Such idiocy will result in injuries occasionally.

Mind I agree that such stupid court cases do the justice system no favours. Perhaps a "taking the Michael "surcharge on both parties, as applied by Judges when they think appropriate, might deter.

I read today, bloke tries to buy ladies beer, at ladies rates, and got said beer He, it, is hairy but declaring he, it, is a lady. And it was embarrassing for said hairy lady to be forced to so declare.

Percy almost exactly the same thing happened to me but at 5mph and it was a man. We all need a windscreen camera to get evidence to protect us from these idiots looking at their mobile phones whilst walking. otherwise our driving licences are at risk.......

Posted by Percy Verance on 18/06/2019 19:06:18:

It's unbelievable Dave.....

A few months back something similar almost happened to me. I was driving through an area of my nearest town, about to take a corner at perhaps 15 to 20mph, maybe slightly less. On rounding the corner a girl was walking into the road, eyes fixed on her screen. A quick dab on the brakes brought me to a stop without a problem, and at the same time I pressed my horn briefly. The girl visibly jumped out of her skin, and the shock of discovering she was in the middle of the road was there to see on her face......

kc

I imagine that's the worry here. If I were the cyclist I'd be lodging an appeal within minutes of leaving the court.......

Edited By Percy Verance on 18/06/2019 19:15:38

Percy.

In the recent "26 degrees in London" thread, you said that it was common to see people stopping for a natter in the middle of the road in your village. I don't think you have any grounds to complain about the poor girl staring at her screen in the middle of the road, as you should have been looking out for nattering people. Are you some sort of hooligan driving at such speeds blowing your horn and scaring poor girls out of their skin? wink

Edited By Gary Manuel on 18/06/2019 19:28:35

Posted by Percy Verance on 18/06/2019 19:16:34:

kc

My dashcam is on order as of about 30 minutes ago..........

I know someone who left his car parked in a particular place one day. On returning about an hour later, he found damage to the side of the car, and his door mirror on the ground. Luckily, he always leaves his dashcam running, and he managed to record the moment of impact plus the car moving off afterwards. The registration plate was clearly readable. The police did the rest thankfully......

P.S. Look out, the king of the one liners is here. Sorry this isn't going the way you'd perhaps hoped it might John........

Edited By Percy Verance on 18/06/2019 19:30:09

It can go any way the mods like Percy, contrary to some opinion, I don't mod on here, nor influence them.

Posted by Dave Cunnington on 18/06/2019 18:56:52:

This is about as crazy as the carpenter using a broom and told not to do so by H & S because of the health hazard of inhaling sawdust - he was told he needed to buy an electric vacuum cleaner at £2K

...and also today Harriet Harman on the BBC was quoted as saying that arresting mothers (presumably justifiably) shouldn't happen because it infringed the mother's childrens Human Rights !

What do I know ...glad to be old in this current climate

If you're referring to this Telegraph article it's presented as suggesting that the HSE are making unrealistic demands on businesses, which the HSE spokesman makes clear, is not true.

It's a pity the HSE wasn't in existence when the use of asbestos was widespread.

...and also I don't think Harriet Harman said anything of the kind - BBC News article.

Still, never mind the facts when there's a couple of good stories to bandy around.

I live in a country lane which is the local dog walk which is only wide enough for one car. It is common to see the dog walkers staring at their screens BUT

the other morning one woman was walking down the road with her dog while she was staring at her screen. She glanced up as I came down the road and then back at her screen and never looked up again. Her dog could have swung out in front of the car or she could have wandered off line.

I have had a dash cam for years ever since more than once people came round a bend coming out of the village on my side of the road.

I think it all boils down to the fact that we now live in the world where noone is prepared to accept any responsibility for anything and stupidity is rewarded. If something bad happens to you, its always someone else's fault.

I was once told that you are never a victim without your own permission and a great deal of the time i believe that to be true. If you spill coffee on yourself and burn your hand, that is your fault. You cant blame the coffee shop for not telling you it was hot as coffee usually is...although, apparently you can as stupidity is rewarded these days and it can make you a boat load of money. A bunch of people got squished as they ran blindly into roads playing pokemon go. For those not in the know pokemon go was an augmented reality (animated stuff overlaid on the real world viewed through the phone camera) game on your phone where you had to chase and catch these various creatures. It was intended to get kids out of the house. Worked well, until they ran straight in the road or down seedy back alley's and got mugged. It wasnt just kids either, i think plenty of adults were mown down and protested that they were the victim for being struck down without mercy while playing a game.

I would dearly love to have a common sense official who simply throws out all nonsense claims from the justice system to prevent this sort of stupidity from being entertained.

If we consider the case in the OP to be a 50/50 fault then surely noone gets compensated? you were both to blame so chalk it up to life experience a move on.

Also recently, A woman walked into the road whilst staring at her phone and was knocked down by a cyclist. The judge said she was only!! 50 percent to blame as the cyclist should have seen her coming. He was knocked out for a few minutes. She got several thousand in compensation.