Upgrading Windows7 to Win10 for free

kc

Now that Windows 7 will no longer be supported by Microsoft users of Windows 7 may be tempted to buy a new computer rather than pay for Windows 10.......but it's still possible to upgrade free as I did today for my wifes Windows 7 desktop by following the procedure suggested by Which? / Consumers Association website. The link is here as it doesn't seem to come up on their main website menu and you don't need to be a Which? member to read the advice.

Of course you need a computer with a good enough spec to cope but even if your computer is below the ideal spec it's worth trying.

Which suggest it doesn't always work as a free upgrade but it worked for me today so it's worth a try! Saves spending £119 or so to buy a full copy of Win 10 or much more by buying a new computer ( what a waste of good hardware just because Microsoft outdate your software!)

Posted by Glyn44 on 12/01/2020 19:07:03:

Just buy a Mac. Easy.

Good plan if you want to pay more than double for the same hardware just for a status symbol.

If you have a windows 7 licence key on the side of your computer then it will likely work with windows 10. I have upgraded at least 10 machines recently with windows 10 using a 7 licence key and it works fine.

If that fails, you can buy a windows 10 key on ebay for about 3 quid.

Once thing i would suggest is that if you do upgrade to windows 10 you also upgrade the hard drive in your computer to a SSD as they are much much faster. Windows 10 loves to talk to the hard drive and all that chit chat slows the system down. As SSD's (solid state drives) are so much faster the constant access by windows is not a problem.

You can pick up a 120 gig SSD for as little as £15 and if you install windows on it, then use your existing hard drive for data storage you get the best of both worlds.

For those looking to reinstall windows/upgrade your hard drive you have a few choices.

You can clone you existing drive onto the new one. As the name suggests its an exact clone of what you have. I use a program called aomei backupper as its free and works well. The only 'hard' part is making sure your new drive is configured correctly as either MBR, GPT or Dynamic. Its not as difficult as it sounds once you know where to go.

After the clone you would then need to update to windows 10. You can do this using the media creation tool (search google)

As an alternative, you can use the media tool to create installation media. You need either a usb drive or a blank dvd for that.

If you choose this, manually back up anything you cant live without onto an external hard drive or whatever. Then tell the system to boot from the usb or dvd drive (you might need to access the bios and change the boot order) and install new windows 10 on either your existing drive (it will wipe it clean) or a new SSD.

It all sounds very complicated but its really not too bad once you get into it.

Posted by RC Plane Flyer on 12/01/2020 21:53:34:

I am no expert but of the opinion that Windows 10 works better on newer laptops. I updated a mature Acer laptop to Windows 10 and it took weeks to get it settled down, Replacing it last September with a new laptop with Windows 10 already installed no problems

If its an old laptop the hard drive might be dog slow. A modern machine probably came with a SSD or eMMC flash as a hard drive. Even if it didnt, a modern hard drive is still faster than those from years ago.

Posted by Brian Cooper on 13/01/2020 01:13:48:

When Windows 10 first hit the streets, EVERYONE I knew had problems with it -- and they were very computer literate -- so I stayed with W7.

W7 runs as smoothly as a Swiss watch. No doubt I shall have to change to using a new protocol one day, but it will probably be W25 by then.

B.C.

Microsoft claim windows 10 is the last windows they will make. Its just going to be incremental upgrades from here on.

As for problems i find W10 pretty good now. The search function is useless, and unless you manually disable them in the privacy options it collects tons of data like everything does now. But its driver support is great and its tolerant of things windows 7 was not. I upgraded a friends machine recently as we took the W10 install off of his old hard drive, cloned it onto a new SSD and installed it in the new machine. Within 3 minutes W10 had detected all the new hardware, downloaded all the new drivers automatically, and reactivated itself on the new system. W7 would have pooped itself at that. W10 is also slightly better for updates as you can choose to just update to the latest version instead of having to download every update in order like in W7.

I ditched Windows years ago in favour of Linux - readily and legally available for free! Never looked back or regretted it!

If you are a technophobe try this: **LINK**

If you are familiar with computers, I recommend Slackware - but get the -current (development) version, which although marked as a development version is far more stable than windoze!

--

Pete

Before upgrading Win 7 to 10 it is worth checking that device drivers are available for your peripherals.

I am a long time user of Debian Linux but have an evaluation copy of MS Windows 10 in a virtual machine so as to run the Spektrum Programmer application. I was surpised to find there are no Windows 10 drivers for my printer, an Epson Stylus Photo. Investigation showed for 'old' hardware this was a common experience, and one unlikely to be fixed.

Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 13/01/2020 08:56:07:

As for problems i find W10 pretty good now....t its driver support is great and its tolerant of things windows 7 was not....Within 3 minutes W10 had detected all the new hardware, downloaded all the new drivers automatically, and reactivated itself on the new system. W7 would have pooped itself at that. W10 is also slightly better for updates as you can choose to just update to the latest version instead of having to download every update in order like in W7.

Agreed. W10 is very slick, and although initially you need to change a lot of privacy options manually, that's no hardship. I do not understand the urge by some to spend time looking for ways to get a free copy of important software, or fiddle the system: the cost of W10 for example is far less than a great many model aircraft, even in kit form - it often staggers me how much money some will pay for a 'plane... Admittedly I'm a professional user of such software as Windows, MS Word, Adobe CC, but IMO it makes sense to pay for the software one needs since it just makes life simpler.

Tony

Posted by Martin_K on 13/01/2020 10:00:32:

Before upgrading Win 7 to 10 it is worth checking that device drivers are available for your peripherals.

I am a long time user of Debian Linux but have an evaluation copy of MS Windows 10 in a virtual machine so as to run the Spektrum Programmer application. I was surpised to find there are no Windows 10 drivers for my printer, an Epson Stylus Photo. Investigation showed for 'old' hardware this was a common experience, and one unlikely to be fixed.

IME many apparent PC problems are caused by outdated drivers: many/most people might be surprised at how quickly all sorts of important drivers become outdated. A while ago I invested £30 or so on software called Driver Easy, wwhich run regularly automatically checks for outdated drivers then downloads the appropriate update and instals. Works neatly & easily, well worth the cost.

rgds Tony

To Brokenenglish and others.......The Which? link that I gave gives exact instructions so it's very handy if you can have this open on another computer at the same time ( perhaps via a phone call to a friend?) but it's not really necessary as the process gives instructions as you go. I kept all the existing data but I checked first that nothing essential would have been lost if the worst happened - but it was all there afterwards anyway. Easy but an hour or so time - dependant on broadband connection etc.

A 'clean' install would perhaps have been better.

Posted by Tony Harrison 2 on 13/01/2020 10:33:38:

IME many apparent PC problems are caused by outdated drivers: many/most people might be surprised at how quickly all sorts of important drivers become outdated. A while ago I invested £30 or so on software called Driver Easy, wwhich run regularly automatically checks for outdated drivers then downloads the appropriate update and instals. Works neatly & easily, well worth the cost.

rgds Tony

Epson are not retrospectively updating Windows drivers for old hardware, no utility will fix that.

Fortunately the Open Source Software community will keep your older kit in operation free of charge, so not unreasonably without providing product support.

To each his own!

Posted by Martin_K on 13/01/2020 10:50:47:

Epson are not retrospectively updating Windows drivers for old hardware, no utility will fix that.

Fortunately the Open Source Software community will keep your older kit in operation free of charge, so not unreasonably without providing product support.

To each his own!

Indeed Martin, but my comment was about drivers more generally. I'm aware of Epson problems: I use a Canon these days, for my infrequent printing requirements, but I had an Epson that eventually became unusable for the reasons you mention.

rgds Tony